Weight Training, pre and post workout meals

mikemueller32

Hey y'all

This is my second whole 30. The first time I did the program it was great. I was doing it to change my eating habits more than trying to lose weight. I would like to know what some of the guys are eating pre and post workout during their whole 30 program. Also, I seem to be losing too much weight. How do I maintain/ gain muscle mass while following the whole 30 and lifting in the gym? It seems like if I do not eat a lot of carbs then I shed so much weight, more than I would like to. My whole reason for this program is to live a healthy and wholesome lifestyle. 

Thanks,

Michael.

Hi Michael

First off, unless you lead a particularly sedentary lifestyle, or have issues with blood sugar, there is no need for you to restrict your intake of starchy crabs. Our recommendation is for at least a fist sized serving per day, but it's okay to eat more.

The recommendation for preWo is for lean protein & fat - so think hard boiled egg/s or something like chicken with olives/mayo/guac.

For postWO the recommendation is for a lean protein with a starchy carb - the favourite around here tends to be chicken with sweet potato, but tinned tuna is a good portable, and any starchy veg will work.

Avoid fruit both pre & post WO.

If you are looking to maintain weight you might find this article helpful.

Another interesting read for you might be 'Clean Mass Gain' - a Case Study, written by Dallas (Please note that I am not suggesting you try this - just thought you might find it interesting!!)

Goodness Gracious...I wish I had your metabolism.   You can eat all of the starchy vege and not give it a second thought.  Pre/post mini meals...they were made for you.   It doesn't sound like you have fat to burn. So here's to building all of that muscle mass.   I'm burning the fat  and building the muscle.  I'd like to swap with you.

I am sort of in a similar situation (don't want to lose weight right now). I eat starchy carbs every day to keep weight on/gain. I'm such a beginner to exercise so I don't really count but I also don't do very cardio-heavy things and eat something after exercise.

Something I'd like to ask is... Would any cuts of pork or beef be suitable to eat after exercise? I was wondering if there were any options besides some seafood, chicken/turkey breast, and egg whites!

Would any cuts of pork or beef be suitable to eat after exercise? I was wondering if there were any options besides some seafood, chicken/turkey breast, and egg whites!

Sure. You want lean protein post-workout, so something like pork tenderloin or sliced lean roast beef would be fine.

Sure. You want lean protein post-workout, so something like pork tenderloin or sliced lean roast beef would be fine.

Cool, thanks.

How's tuna in water? I know it's used often-ish pwo, but isn't tuna an oily fish? Would canned tuna not be lean then? O.O

• 4 months later...

Hey everyone, just discovered the Whole 30 and am very curious about protein "supplementation" as I work out fairly heavily with weights.  I found the article by Dallas about Clean Mass Gain but the link to his recipes for shakes etc was not working.  Anyone have access to that info?  Any other suggestions?  What I am getting so far is that IF you decide to supplement your whole food, that plain egg white powder is "compliant"?  

• Moderators

The Whole30 does not recommend smoothies or other protein 'shakes/bowls' as drinking your food messes with satiety signals and digestion.

I see the article that Dallas wrote but I don't believe that it was written with the intention of doing the supplementation while on a Whole30.

In fact, let me say that with more confidence... it was definitely not written to encourage people supplement while doing a Whole30.

Technically, egg white powder is 'compliant' because it is made from compliant ingredients but it is not in keeping with the spirit or intention of the Whole30, which is to eat (chew) three meals a day and pre and post workout meals should they apply.

many thanks...pretty much as I suspected.  Let me ask, then, what about post whole 30 regimen...if I determine that some form of supplementation is desirable (which I may not...)...would I then be looking at the egg white powder unless I can determine whey is not aggravating any inflammation or immune responses?  Are there other sources known to the community?

• Moderators

Once you've done re-intro and you can determine whether or not whey affects you, then your options do open up, altho we would always recommend that you default to actually eating food before supplementing with shakes because even off a Whole30, your body is still going to digest that liquid food differently than chewed food.

I will leave it to others to comment on whether there are other protein options available that have good reviews... I don't use protein powders so I'm not the best person to ask but I"m sure someone will come along and suggest something for after your Whole30.

Thanks for all the tips.  I work out 5 days a week on my lunch break.  Is it ok to combine my lunch with post-WO snack?  Is it ok to have a late breakfast as my pre-WO snack?  I tend to not be hungry in the mornings.  My hunger usually comes on around 10:30 or 11:00.  I head to the gym about 11:30 then have lunch as soon as I return (about 1:30).

Thanks,

Jared

• Administrators

Hey, davidwhiteside, re: your question: beef collagen protein powder is also something to consider.  Check out the Bulletproof brand (not the coffee!).

I used to supplement heavily, but I've learned that whole foods > supplements any day.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Unfortunately the collagen protein isn't really a suitable choice for supplementing in this fashion. Good for other things, not so much for post workout gains.  Check this article by W30 friend, Steph Gaudreau - http://stupideasypaleo.com/2014/03/15/gelatin-post-workout-recovery/

• Administrators

Thanks for all the tips.  I work out 5 days a week on my lunch break.  Is it ok to combine my lunch with post-WO snack?  Is it ok to have a late breakfast as my pre-WO snack?  I tend to not be hungry in the mornings.  My hunger usually comes on around 10:30 or 11:00.  I head to the gym about 11:30 then have lunch as soon as I return (about 1:30).

Thanks,

Jared

Not being hungry in the mornings is a direct sign of hormonal imbalance.  You really should eat within an hour of waking and depending on how rigourous your workout, the pre and post are meant to be in addition to your regular meals.

Not being hungry in the mornings is a direct sign of hormonal imbalance.  You really should eat within an hour of waking and depending on how rigourous your workout, the pre and post are meant to be in addition to your regular meals.

Ah ok that makes sense.  Well being that I'm only on day two of W30 maybe my morning appetite will kick up.  Also, I want to make sure not to over eat.  I'd like to stay on about a 500 calorie/day deficit but eat plenty of protein to reduce muscle loss.

• Administrators

Ah ok that makes sense.  Well being that I'm only on day two of W30 maybe my morning appetite will kick up.  Also, I want to make sure not to over eat.  I'd like to stay on about a 500 calorie/day deficit but eat plenty of protein to reduce muscle loss.

Hi Jared,

Whole30 is not a diet and because there is no calorie counting or food weighing and measuring, you shouldn't really "know" what your calorie defecit is.  We recommend you just eat real, whole foods in a quantity that supports your context.  You should be getting about 4-5 hours between meals.  This is what your body needs for proper functioning.  If you have weight to lose and no major underlying health conditions, your body will likely shed some weight.  If you are at a natural weight for your frame, you may lean out but you're unlikely to lose weight.

Remember that the best way of getting your body to hold onto weight is by underfeeding and overexercising it.

Thanks,

Jared

I don't recommend skipping the post-workout meal and going straight to lunch.  The lean protein/starchy carb recommendation (no fat) for post-workout is designed that way for a reason to maximum post-workout recovery and replenishment.  It doesn't have to be big, though.  I also workout on the noon hour.  I eat breakfast at 7 and may or may not have a pre-WO before I head to the gym at 11:30, depending on whether I'm hungry.  Immediately post-WO (literally in the locker room) I eat a few bites of cold cooked chicken breast and 1/2-1 palm sized roasted squash, depending on the intensity of the workout.  Then I shower, go back to the office, and eat lunch around 2pm.  That usually lasts me until supper at 6:30pm.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

Unfortunately the collagen protein isn't really a suitable choice for supplementing in this fashion. Good for other things, not so much for post workout gains.  Check this article by W30 friend, Steph Gaudreau - http://stupideasypaleo.com/2014/03/15/gelatin-post-workout-recovery/

Thanks so much for this link!  I have actually never used beef collagen post-WO, but I had seen it recommended by a Paleo food blogger as a recovery smoothie component.

Glad to hear that my cooked chicken breast is a good choice.  I also have some powdered BCAA, so now that I'm post Whole30, maybe I'll play around with that.

Thanks,

-Lauren (GGG)

Jumping back in here, re: supplementation for weight training.  what about Branched Chain Amino Acids, L-Glutamine, and Creatine?  I can stop using protein powder during my whole 30 phase, but can I still use these?  Creatine especially?  Any ideas?  Many thanks for your attention...

If you're doing a lot of training you will most likely find that you will eat to the high end of the template (plus pre & postWO meals) and so you should be getting adequate protein from your food without the BCAAs. Lean red meat is your best natural source of creatine, along with tuna & salmon. L-Glutamine you'll also get from beef, as well as from chicken, & eggs, and in abundance in red cabbage.... 

You can see where I'm going here, right?

Ditch the supplements & really give your body a chance to show you what it can do if you fuel it properly.

It's only 30 days.

Hey, on the subject of creatine...when I took just a few minutes to search things like "foods highest in creatine,"  I got some conflicting results re: chicken/turkey/poultry...I realize red meats are best, but there is resistance in the household to high volume beef (and pork) consumption (we were vegetarians).  Besides lean beef, would you look at salmon and turkey?  any other recommended proteins for high creatine content?

Archived