What symptoms did you feel with which foods?

jknolmed21

I just had dairy today, and I can't decipher how I feel. I didn't really get a stomach ache. I was more tired/winded (I have dysautonomia and postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) today, but I also was trying on clothes, kneeling and standing up, and walking around more than usual/than I've done during the program. I just can't tell what's exertion fatigue and not enough sleep and what is a result of the dairy.

What symptoms did you feel when you reintroduced dairy, gluten, legumes, sugar? I'm very interested to hear some of your experiences with the different reintroductions.

Everyone feels differently, physically and/or psychologically.

For me, dairy made my stomach hurt and non-gluten grains and legumes made me gassy and bloated. I've been off gluten for years (diagnosed as gluten-sensitive). If I accidentally ingest gluten, I get diarrhea. Sugar: I didn't do an official reintro, but I infrequently have a bite or two of quality dark chocolate and I can tolerate that.

I also significantly cut my wine consumption post-Whole30, because I feel my former amount of wine intake caused stomach bloat for me.

Wheat makes me SAD, sad.  Like a cat that's transfixed by staring into its' water bowl, I become so sad.  I could sit on the olde thunder mug and watch the water swirl down  the sink.  It's immediate within hours.  Blue bayou, blue, blue, blue.  It affects my whole being more than any food group.   

Sugar gives me a headache- a small amount I can handle but give me a bowl of ice cream and I've got a massive headache that won't go away with anything. On the lines of dairy- that gives me bloating and gas. Gluten doesn't do much to me except I feel hungrier when I consume bread products so I still avoid it.

I find dairy lactose bloats me and makes me tired. Soy gives me diarrhea, and gluten (worst offender of all), makes my joints hurt, stomach ache, bloats me and gives diarrhea.  Legumes just give me a bit of gas so I can live with that once in a while. 

Cows milk bloats me, milk chocolate bloats me and makes me vomit, peanuts give me the runs and I am allergic to wheat...my eyes itch, weep and swell up for days ;(

I am testing cows cheese, goats cheese, peas, broad beans, soy, rice, oats and corn at the end of this whole30 in more detail...

Dairy (primarily casein--I react a lot harder to aged cheese, yogurt, ice cream, etc. than I do fresh cheese or milk) destroys me.  Congestion and coughing within minutes, headaches and joint pains within an hour, and then feeling spacey and hungover for a day or two afterward.  Goat's milk cheddar did the same thing, but fresh mozzarella doesn't bother me as much.  I can tell if a recipe has dairy in it based on how it makes me feel.  It is horrible.

Wheat flares eczema I didn't realize I had.  I can have one serving a week or so without much consequence, but any more frequently than that and my skin gets itchy and my cuticles start cracking and my scalp starts getting scabby again.

Rice destroys my digestion.  It feels like a rock in my stomach and then it totally trashes my gut for a few days.

Soy makes me feel like I have the worst hangover in the world.

I never bothered to reintroduce legumes besides soy (which was less intentional--we got Chinese food one night).

Seriously--things I never thought would happen with regard to food.  It's insane.

Sugar is the druggiest drug I've ever had. Immediately after I consume it, I am a "happy drunk": relaxed, chatty, less-inhibited, and so on. I feel AMAZING on sugar. The next day, if I don't dose myself again, I am Mr. Hyde. We're talking rage. I find myself yelling for no reason, hating everyone and everything... It's a bad scene. And, of course, eating sugar makes me want to eat more sugar.

I had peanut butter this morning with an apple. It was less than 2 tablespoons. I don't know if it's just my mind playing tricks on me but I felt almost nauseous after eating my breakfast which included that and spinach and eggs. I found that the peanut butter tasted nice but sadly it wasn't as amazing as I remembered.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in my first reintroduction phase- legumes. We had peanut butter in the morning, peas in our lunch and bean salad with our dinner.

(We are doing sugar seperately down the line...and I'm skipping soy because I already know I don't want it.)

I am very surprised that I am experiencing stiff joints and muscle knots during the following Whole30 days.

Anyone else get joint and/or muscle stiffness from legumes??

• Corn gives me a belly ache that's right next door to hunger.  Took me a long time to figure out the difference.  
  • Lactose gives me horrible, painful gas.  (Lactaid makes it painless diarrhea, which is not exactly an improvement.)
  • Rice gives me a serious case of feeling awful that I can't even explain.  Like my head is going to explode.
  • Sugar tastes fantastic.  I have to remind myself of its evils because they're so subtle.
  • Legumes improve my digestion and seem to make me feel overall better.
  • Wheat seems to be neutral-to-good in terms of body reaction, but I worry about the empty calories, so limit it anyway.

ThyPeace, had sugar today.

• Sugar tastes fantastic.  I have to remind myself of its evils because they're so subtle.

ThyPeace, had sugar today.

Note to self.  Sugar gives you a hangover.  Which you knew.  Try not to off-road while five days' worth of sleep-deprived.  You tend to forget some really important stuff.

ThyPeace, hydrating. 

Dairy caused my fingers to be swollen the next morning, soy gave me a stomachache and headache, and non-gluten grains gave me diarrhea.  Oh and when I had sugar for the first time after my reintro (without eating a meal before hand), I WANTED SUGAR SO BAAAAD.  It was scary.   :blink:

Has anyone done a reintroduction where you reintro for a whole week or month, not just a day?  Sometimes I wonder if the reactions are just because you're body hasn't had that food for 30+ days.  It would also be interesting (and probably sucky) to see what other reactions to the foods would develop.  For me, maybe dairy would cause my fingers to swell the following day, but after a month of eating (even grass-fed, organic) dairy, it would cause depression or something else.

Sugar is the druggiest drug I've ever had. Immediately after I consume it, I am a "happy drunk": relaxed, chatty, less-inhibited, and so on. I feel AMAZING on sugar. The next day, if I don't dose myself again, I am Mr. Hyde. We're talking rage. I find myself yelling for no reason, hating everyone and everything... It's a bad scene. And, of course, eating sugar makes me want to eat more sugar.

Wow Noelle - you and I are sugar twins -  :huh:  :wacko:  ;)

Combine sugar with soy - I become just a plain miserable, mean, short tempered tyrant.  Depression soon kicks in afterwards.  To think that was my normal for many years..... :o

Cheese - within 4 to 6 hours of consuming cheese I have an Hidraenitis Suppurativa reaction

Any other dairy - upset stomach, and basically extreme evacuation mode within the hour of consumption.  Evacuation process has been know to last for 24 hours or more.

Gluten Grains - if item has a high fat content reaction is minor.  If no fat content - it will feel like I swallowed a bowling ball.  However I noticed a correlation between grain consumption and intensity of menstrual migraines. Also notice head scales, and roseacea flare after consuming gluten.

Gluten free grains - gassy, bloating, odd combination of constipation and explosive diarrhea (sorry for the TMI)

Rice - constipation for a minimum of 48 hours.  

Legumes - same as Gluten Free grains

I am also sensitive to a lot of AIP foods

Raw tomatoes or peppers - I get a psoriasis flare.  Cooked seems to be ok

Nuts - the usual bloating and digestive distress.  And they mess up my sleep

Eggs - within a half hour my knee and hip are aching.  The quality of eggs make the difference here.  Cage free eggs are better (but still cause joint tenderness) Also correlation between eggs and eczema.  Dropping dairy helped significantly, however still had eczema pretty badly on my hands.  It has since completely cleared.

Has anyone done a reintroduction where you reintro for a whole week or month, not just a day?  Sometimes I wonder if the reactions are just because you're body hasn't had that food for 30+ days.  It would also be interesting (and probably sucky) to see what other reactions to the foods would develop. 

I am seriously considering doing multiple days of each. I had thought maybe two or 3 days, and perhaps make the in-between days a minimum of 3 and more if needed. I have not approached my first re-intro day yet but I had a similar curiosity about this as you do. I'm also splitting my foods up a lot more than the base plan. Even with one day per, and two between, my plan is stretched out to 30 days.

I really appreciate this thread though. I've put a "what to look for" section into each re-intro day. I know I need to sort of "look for everything" but knowing common reactions is helpful.

With one day of including any of the off limits foods I didn't notice any significant changes, other than snoring after I consume dairy.  Perhaps multiple days would make symptoms worse.  Still, I'm not going to make any of the foods a regular part of my diet.  After the Whole30 I feel amazing, and I know it's because I've kept a lot of junk out of my body.  It's probably more dangerous for me to add in these foods than for people who have strong, specific reactions to certain food groups, because if I don't immediately feel the negative effect of the food I'm more likely to keep eating it.  Gradually I'd feel like crap again and probably wouldn't even notice until I did another Whole 30.  

• 2 weeks later...

I am so happy to read about others' experiences with reintroduction! I just finished my first Whole 30 a few days ago. I started reintroduction with a half-glass of red wine the night before last, with some hesitation, I'll admit! I felt okay the next morning, but have gradually been feeling worse (headache, crankiness, feeling generally negative and tired). I am going to take this whole process as slowly as I can. I am thankful for what I'm learning, even though I feel awful right now. I already knew that I needed to avoid dairy, especially cheese and yogurt (aged cheeses and probiotic yogurts and drinks are the worst for me). I have also decided to eliminate coconut. A bit of research yesterday led me to a connection between sensitivity to wine, cheese and coconut--I had no idea they could be linked. Now I suspect I have an amine sensitivity, which is going to be a wole new topic to learn about. So, back to the foods that worked for me during the Whole 30, and on to the Super Slow Roll reintroduction.

Sugar and alcohol do the same to me Noelle-Feel fabulous when I consume it but I better continue or else...I turn into a person I barely recognize. Grains can do that as well but not as dramatic. Now I am eating a bit of cheese and wondering if my tendonitis in my hip has flared due to that, as well as a bit of nasal issues. I have a few more good pieces of sharp cheddar then I will remove that.

I have a love/hate relationship with this program. I really do.

I am a Newbie...literally my first day is tomorrow! But...Raven and Zyriel...I had to respond because this is actually one of my skepticisms of the Whole30.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited and curious and ready...man, am I ready to feel better, look better, eat better. But...during reintroduction, how do I know that I am actually sensitive to a particular food group, or if my body is just not used to processing that particular food after a long absence of it in my diet?? It's not that I don't believe in food sensitivities. I just don't want to cut out cheese for over a month (one of my favs), only to find out that I get a bit bloated if I eat cheese, but after consuming it regularly (few times a week, for example) the symptoms go away...and perhaps once again cheese can be enjoyed in my future life. Which leads me to the obvious question...Why cut it out in the first place? Why not just scale back on amounts? I have not read "It Starts With Food", and I'm sure there is some scientific reasoning I am not aware of, so shine the light on me!! 

MM, I have been toying with that thought as well re just building up a tolerance for  A,B, or C. If the pleasure out weighs the "issue"-maybe it would be worth it, for you. I love cheese-love it. I love dark chocolate. I like wine, rice, bread etc. Easy for me to not feel it is worth it for the "like" stuff...except the wine and that is a whole other issue:) I will not give up cheese or  chocolate but they need to be limited and really good-not velvetta(love that with mayo in a sandwich) and hersheys kiss.

Is the pleasure outweighing the pain? How long does the pain last in reference to the pleasure? Does 30 sec of pleasure give you 12 hours of pain? Probably not worth it.

MM - as cayenne mentions above - it is completely up to you after you do your elimination.

I know my particular relationship with dairy is mine, and mine alone.  I suffered for many years from an embarrassing painful skin condition that I developed in my early teens.  I had no idea what caused it.  I just thought it was an unhappy part of my life.  And as time passed the skin condition got worse, and more aggressive.  Most days I was in agony.  Dr's prescribed creams that really didn't help.  Or they gave me instructions to "clean myself better".  It came to the point where I didn't bother consult the medical community anymore as they couldn't help me.  So I suffered in silence.

3 years ago I finished my first whole 30.  I had many positive NSV's.  Then I did re-intro's and I discovered that my beloved dairy was the culprit for my pain. I will have a skin reaction to cheese within 4 to 6 hours of eating it.  Milk and yogurt will cause me to bloat, and I will be visiting the washroom often (record is 7 times in one morning) It was one that I did play suspect over the years, but allergy tests were inconclusive.  But dairy - unless it is really, Really, REALLY special - is just plain not worth it to me.  I wish I would get a minor bloat and that is it.  To me then it be worth it then too.  But all I am saying from my own non-sciencey standpoint is that you never know how you will feel until afterwards and you do the re-intros. 

• 1 month later...

Really appreciating this topic and the responses. Thanks!

I've been totally confused during my re-intro. Went through my first Whole30 in October and felt a number of the benefits, but not all. Really enjoyed practicing eating whole and delicious meals instead of protein bars or the like. Lost 7 pounds or so and down a belt size. Complexion cleared up and I felt some clarity mentally and energetically. BUT it turns out that sleep apnea and bad sleep habits are a much bigger problem than I'd realized-- I cut out all caffeine except for two cups of half-caf coffee at 6am, and I still had a dickens of a time sleeping.

So now reintro: I've done legumes and non-gluten grains; I don't feel any major digestive issues with either (repeated legumes to make sure). But then, like today, I'm wiped-out tired and my hip is hurting again... it could be the grains yesterday, or it could be because I got like 3.5 hours of sleep on Thursday night and my hip has just a chronic issue due to long-term poor walking habits. 

I hate the idea of repeating each phase of reintro twice to check all this, and the symptoms seem like they could come from any number of causes.

Is it safe to say that non-gluten grains probably don't cause joint stiffness (most people report that with gluten), etc? Argh!

Okay, I'm still working through a nasty dragonish sugar addiction, but I think that's just the grumpy thing... (Sigh, apologizing to my kids a lot.) I have not had any sugar since September except for 6g of added sugar in some cereal I ate yesterday-- but that was it. Didn't think that would be enough to knock me so screwy.

Sorry for the rambling. SO puzzled by all this!

• 1 year later...

Maybe I just had a stressful day and just couldn't wind down or something. Yesterday I was SO tired. I reintroduced dairy and I had some AWFUL dreams (like multiple family members died). 

Could dairy (I'm thinking hormones) cause restless nights and weird dreams?

Archived