Failed Mayo 101

klassyart

I made mayo last week with grape seed oil and lemon plus the egg, salt and mustard and it worked beautifully but I didn't particularly care for the taste. I tried to make it today with a combination of one cup avocado oil and a half cup EVOO and lime juice. Total disaster!

So, what can you do with mayo that didn't turn into mayo? It's just liquid.

I used a stick blender and all ingredients were at room temperature. Anyone else have this problem?

The oil was expensive and I don't want to throw it away.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

That seems like a lot of oil, actually.  How much lime did you use? Try throwing another egg yolk in the failed mayo and blending again with your stick blender.

My recipe is 1.25 cups oil, one egg, 2 tbsp acid (I love lime!), dry mustard and salt.  

Edited to add: If you don't want to try and save it, blend in some fresh herbs like dill, parsley, cilantro, garlic, onion powder etc and make a ranch dressing!  Or mix in some Frank's Red Hot and drizzle it over cooked meats as a sort of buffalo sauce.

I've saved broken mayo before kind of in the way ladyshanny has suggested above, except that I put my egg yolk in another mason jar, started blending with my stick blender & slowly drizzled the broken mayo into the egg yolk rather then adding the yolk to the mayo if you see what I mean? I didn't need to add all of the broken mayo into the egg yolk before it thickened up nicely so you could fix your mayo AND make some ranch dressing. Win:Win!

Same thing happened to me in my two attempts... first time I couldn't find any "light" olive oil so I used regular EVOO and coarse sea salt.... turned out nice and thick but all I could taste was olive oil and LOTS of salt!  I attempted it again last night with Sunflower oil and it turned out like soup :(  I will only try one more time and then I'm done.

Lime juice might not be "strong" enough. You could try adding a little apple cider vinegar. 

That seems like a lot of oil, actually.  How much lime did you use? Try throwing another egg yolk in the failed mayo and blending again with your stick blender.

My recipe is 1.25 cups oil, one egg, 2 tbsp acid (I love lime!), dry mustard and salt.  

Edited to add: If you don't want to try and save it, blend in some fresh herbs like dill, parsley, cilantro, garlic, onion powder etc and make a ranch dressing!  Or mix in some Frank's Red Hot and drizzle it over cooked meats as a sort of buffalo sauce.

Hi guys,   Just made more mayo....didn't have lemon so used 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar....but this time it tasted more salty and I followed the directions to a T.  No problem....will still eat it.  But LIME...that could be interesting.

Same thing happened to me in my two attempts... first time I couldn't find any "light" olive oil so I used regular EVOO and coarse sea salt.... turned out nice and thick but all I could taste was olive oil and LOTS of salt!  I attempted it again last night with Sunflower oil and it turned out like soup :(  I will only try one more time and then I'm done.

Yeah, most directions for homemade mayo tell you NOT to use EVOO because the olive taste comes through too bitter or strong.

Use the oils that ultrarunnergirl suggested - other options include walnut oil or macadamia nut oil.

OK, I'll try again. Tried to "fix" it but didn't work. No worries, I can use it up in different ways. Thanks for all the suggestions. Will get some light olive oil tomorrow and try again with lemon juice, mustard and salt.

NY2LA2Montreal - what's your basic recipe?

OK, I'll try again. Tried to "fix" it but didn't work. No worries, I can use it up in different ways. Thanks for all the suggestions. Will get some light olive oil tomorrow and try again with lemon juice, mustard and salt.

NY2LA2Montreal - what's your basic recipe?

I follow the recipe in the Whole 30 book. I use light olive oil and it is delish

HELP!!

OK, failed again! Used light tasting olive oil, 1.25 c., one egg at room temp, 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice at room temp. Half tsp. salt. Half tsp. dry mustard. I put all ingredients in a mason jar with only about 1/3 c. Of oil and used my stick blender. Even that didn't start to thicken up. I put a bit more oil in and still, nada. Pure liquid. Nice pretty yellow, but not mayo. Tried adding another egg yolk and a Tbsp odd cider vinegar. Nothing. My blender motor is going to burn up...

Any more suggestions? I could have ordered it online cheaper than the money I've spent on the oil...

• Administrators

HELP!!

OK, failed again! Used light tasting olive oil, 1.25 c., one egg at room temp, 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice at room temp. Half tsp. salt. Half tsp. dry mustard. I put all ingredients in a mason jar with only about 1/3 c. Of oil and used my stick blender. Even that didn't start to thicken up. I put a bit more oil in and still, nada. Pure liquid. Nice pretty yellow, but not mayo. Tried adding another egg yolk and a Tbsp odd cider vinegar. Nothing. My blender motor is going to burn up...

Any more suggestions? I could have ordered it online cheaper than the money I've spent on the oil...

This is SO strange!  I wish I was there to see what is going on!  In several years the stick blender method has only ever failed me once and I make mayo about once a week or so.  I've got no new suggestions that don't see you trying this over and over and over.  :(

Room temp eggs and such aren't a requirement… I just grab right out of the fridge.. not saying thats the trick to thick mayo.. just saying :)

You're holding the stick blender at the bottom of the jar right? and slowly bringing it up?

This is SO strange!  I wish I was there to see what is going on!  In several years the stick blender method has only ever failed me once and I make mayo about once a week or so.  I've got no new suggestions that don't see you trying this over and over and over.  :(

This has been "one of those days". So, I'll try again tomorrow after I take a nice long hike in the woods. Or maybe I'd better try the mayo first and then go walk in the woods ...

Yep, had blender on bottom of jar. Watched a YouTube video to make sure how to do it. My daughter used the same recipe last night and sent me a photo of her beautiful bowl of mayo. So cruel. :)

This has been "one of those days". So, I'll try again tomorrow after I take a nice long hike in the woods. Or maybe I'd better try the mayo first and then go walk in the woods ...

Yep, had blender on bottom of jar. Watched a YouTube video to make sure how to do it. My daughter used the same recipe last night and sent me a photo of her beautiful bowl of mayo. So cruel. :)

I don't have any idea either why it is not turning out. I have made 3 batches without a problem. Are you using fresh squeezed lemon juice?

Tried again this morning with same result. Please give me some exact brands of oil that have been used successfully. Maybe I can find a solution. Today I took the failed mayo and added a bit of tomato paste and coconut cream and put it over zoodles to have for lunch but my stomach still hasn't settled down completely so it may be for dinner. I'm usually pretty determined abou things but that old saying "if you do the same thing over and over expecting different results"...

I'm puzzled as to why your mayo keeps failing.  I've made mine both with a stick blender and Vitamix, with cold eggs and with room temp eggs and never had it fail.  I make mine (using recipe in It Starts With Food) with half Bertolli Extra Light Tasting olive oil and half Chosen Foods avocado oil.  I use organic jarred lemon juice as the acid.

Maybe post a video of you making it so we can see what's going on?

I have used the exact recipe from Well Fed with a food processor on medium low. I have always used the slow drizzle method with room temperature eggs with success, I haven't tried an immersion blender with cold eggs yet. I am happy with using what works for me! You should also know that once you put the mayo in the fridge it will firm up a bit more. The 2 oils that I have used with success are "Chosen Foods" avocado oil from Costco and "Bertolli" mild light tasting olive oil from Walmart. I am in Canada so hopefully you can find the same brands from the same places in the U.S. Good luck!

I should note that I never mix oils, I just use one or the other!

I have used the exact recipe from Well Fed with a food processor on medium low. I have always used the slow drizzle method with room temperature eggs with success, I haven't tried an immersion blender with cold eggs yet. I am happy with using what works for me! You should also know that once you put the mayo in the fridge it will firm up a bit more. The 2 oils that I have used with success are "Chosen Foods" avocado oil from Costco and "Bertolli" mild light tasting olive oil from Walmart. I am in Canada so hopefully you can find the same brands from the same places in the U.S. Good luck!I should note that I never mix oils, I just use one or the other!

What I made didn't firm up. It separated. Will head to Walmart tomorrow. Thanks for your help. We will all rejoice when I finally make mayo!

Oh my, what is going on? My response didn't show up.

Thanks for the video and maybe it's my blender. I only have two speeds. What kind of blender and brand of oil do you use?

I have a cuisinart stick blender with just a low and high setting. Oil depends on my ability to get to Costco where I buy light Avocado Oil on the cheap. I'll use light tasting olive oil or light walnut oil too. I would recommend starting with light tasting olive oil because it is inexpensive and experiment with other oils when you get the hang of it. Watch the video and measure everything carefully. 

Archived