Failed Mayo 101

klassyart

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have made mayo in my Vitamix blender for quite some time.    I toughed through a couple of failed batches before I got my process locked in.  I've been very consistent with the ingredients, and have seen consistent results.  But, before W30, I also used storebought mayo -- Kewpie mayo from Japan being my favorite.   But Kewpie isn't compliant, so back to the Vitamix I went.

I prefer to make homemade mayo out of MCT oil.  At $24/quart, it's not cheap, but I love the results -- especially the neutral flavor.  I'm hesitant to use larger quantities of MCT oil on food for people (other than my BF), so sunflower oil is my backup for mayo in other dishes.  Sunflower oil isn't a W30 favorite, but I have a very good source.  I know of a farm about an hour away --  they grow the sunflowers on their farm, cold-press the seeds by hand, bottle it and sell it on site at their farm store.   I don't buy it often -- partly because the farm is so far away, and partly because the oil is $16/pint -- 150 percent of the cost of my MCT oil!  But given how labor-intensive it is to make the oil, I understand why it is priced the way it is.

Just after St. Patrick's day, I sat down to make two batches of mayo.   First batch with the MCT oil?  Three quarters of the oil added, then....failed.    I stepped back through my recipe.  I forgot to add salt.  Could that have made the difference?    I couldn't bear to pour the MCT oil down the drain, so I poured the mix in to a mason jar and stashed it in the fridge.  Cleaned the Vitamix.  Started the second batch with sunflower oil.   Almost identical results -- most of the oil added...then....failed.  ARRRGH!!

I'm guessing both emulsions failed because, even though the Vitamix was on the lowest speed, the friction started to cook the eggs.  The friction appeared to be cooking something -- I was seeing bits of solid-ish white-ish material sinking to the bottom of the jar of oil, which had turned bright yellow.   Its been awhile since I had a failed batch, and I was kind of in shock.   And if I thought about the kind of money that I spent on the oil, well, let's just say that was not a pleasant thought.    

The following day, I ran a spoon through the failed mayo.   There was definitely a settling of eggs on the bottom.      I spooned out as much egg product as I could in to a bowl, added the egg whites I reserved yesterday, added an extra whole egg, and it seemed to combine well.     I then added corned beef that was leftover from St. Paddy's, some parsnips, and made a scramble out of it.  The flavors came together very well.  BF enjoyed it a lot, although he joked that he would have liked his scramble to contain more eggs.    A couple days later, I spooned out the egg product from the other jar.  This time I scrambled it with 3 or 4 whole eggs and more St. Paddy's leftovers.  The flavor again was very good.  There were no leftovers.

I knew the jars of oil in my fridge wouldn't keep for much longer, due to the raw egg components blended with the oil.    I strained the contents of each jar and used the remaining oil for cooking that week.  Much of the oil went to sauteeing garlic and onions in portions I could freeze and use later.   So far we've had one batch of chili that was cooked with the garlic and onions I made this way, and it tasted quite good -- perhaps even better than my usual olive oil sautee. 

When I returned to the farm stand where I bought my eggs, I told the farmer about my failed mayo experiments.  The farmer said the eggs weren't his, they were from a neighboring farm (which I knew).    He said that many hens, including some of his, stop laying entirely over the winter.  He wasn't sure how the hens were doing on his friend's farm, but said the transition to spring is always that -- a transition.   The eggs may be a little different.   It may have been just different enough to throw off my mayo.  Mother Nature does these things her way.

While I'm glad I found a way to use the expensive oils instead of pouring them down the sink, I don't want to experience this again.   I have since purchased an immersion blender. 

I use less expensive oil -- Bertoli or Filipo Berio light tasting olive oil mostly, sometimes cut with some avocado oil if I have it on hand, all cost between $8-$16 per quart depending on sales, which fits solidly into my budget-- none are nearly as expensive as your sunflower or MCT oils. But despite the lower cost, I still balked the first time my mayo failed. :(

I use my immersion blender which had worked as my trusty little mayomachine churning (immersing?) out batch after batch perfectly for six months before I failed a mayo. When the first batch (a double as I usually make) failed I wondered what I had forgotten or done wrong... but saved the liquid in the fridge for cooking with, cleaned off the blender, mentally reviewed the proscess and prepared to have another go at it. Which also failed. All two cups of it... GAH! So I stashed that batch in the fridge to use later on as well. After four cups of ruined mayo I decided not to make any more attempts until I'd used up the four cups of liquid in the fridge (they make a lovely marinade for poultry and fish and cooking fat for everything I cooked as it turns out) and thought to myself that it must have been the barometric pressure that ruined my mayo, it had been quite cold and dry after all. :huh:

And then, after three very sad mayoless weeks when I finally had the courage to try my hand at mayomaking again (only one cup this time!), it came out perfectly. And just like that I was back in business. Same package of eggs (I buy them 7-dozen at a time), same containers of oil, same bag of lemons, more trepidation for sure. I'm just glad it worked. B)

Ladies, since there are SO many threads on the forum already about failed mayo I'm going to merge this thread with the largest of them, just to keep things tidy...

As has been mentioned on this thread before broken mayo can be fixed by drizzling (well, pouring whilst using an immersion blender) the broken mayo into the yolk of one more egg - it's worked for me any time my mayo has failed!

• 2 weeks later...

After 3 home made mayo fails (three slightly different recipes, stick blender and all I have is a very greasy soupy yellow liquid that isn't good for anything I want to make), I have to give making this up because I can not afford to keep wasting these ingredients.  My 3 local grocery marts do not have any mayonnaise that qualifies for the diet - all have sugar in the ingredient list.  

Getting to a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods is a possibility, but will take at least an hour commute which I don't wish to waste if they don't have something I can use.  Is there a mayonnaise I might be able to buy at one of these stores that is compliant?  Or am I out of luck? I'm pretty happy making most everything else, and have come up with some nifty things to eat, but some basics I would like, like home made coleslaw, are impossible unless I have a reliable and compliant mayo source.  

Any suggestions where I might be able to purchase some mayo that is Whole30 compliant?  

Amazon has two varieties of Primal Kitchen mayo, Avocado Oil and Chipotle Lime. Both are compliant but still, check the labels to make sure!

The avocado oil one isn't as good as my homemade mayo but it works just fine in recipes. The chipotle one is quite tasty for a chance of pace. 

Don't give up on the homemade mayo though as it's the basis for a lot of tasty sauces. Can you get a friend who cooks to help you out? It's ridiculously easy once you understand the science/technique behind it and do much cheaper to make your own.

• Moderators

Mayo fails have been discussed at length here... I"m merging your thread with the most popular thread about the same topic.. you can also find help by googling 'whole30 mayo fail' and dozens of threads come up.

4 hours ago, ArtFossil said:

Amazon has two varieties of Primal Kitchen mayo, Avocado Oil and Chipotle Lime. Both are compliant but still, check the labels to make sure!

The avocado oil one isn't as good as my homemade mayo but it works just fine in recipes. The chipotle one is quite tasty for a chance of pace. 

Don't give up on the homemade mayo though as it's the basis for a lot of tasty sauces. Can you get a friend who cooks to help you out? It's ridiculously easy once you understand the science/technique behind it and do much cheaper to make your own.

Thank you, that is helpful.  I'll try the Avocado Oil mayo, Chipotle would not work for my uses, but I suppose it might be interesting to try in new recipes or when I'm feeling adventurous.  .  

After the third fail, with no clue why - I followed all instructions, and watched a video, and mine just stayed liquid - I'm done.  My husband will try once tomorrow as a favor to me but if he doesn't manage it then we are just going to have to give it up, it is simply wasteful especially as I have not a clue why I just get liquid but everyone writes "it is so easy".  One of the recipes was titled something like 'fail-proof mayo' LOL, NOT.

I don't have any friends who make their own Mayo, LOL - my friends are impressed when I baked cookies not from a premade store dough - I'm pretty sure one of my close friends has never even opened her oven door since she moved into her her place. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hello I am starting Whole30 on Monday May 22nd and I noticed the first week planner Whole30 gives you requires the basic mayo almost everyday. How much mayo did everyone make at the beginning? I am not a person who cooks so I am very intimidated easily to cooking.

A lot of people come to use a lot more mayo than they ever would have before as it's so versatiile & tasty - I'd make one full batch the first week & see how you go. It's really quick & easy to make so if you run out mid-week you can always make more. It will last as long as the life of your eggs but most people find it doesn't sit around that long!

Try >this method< - I'm sure it's posted multiple times in this thread, but this way you won't have to look for it...!!

I also wonder if sometimes people give up too soon? On Sunday I made mayo while I was prepping for my second Whole30. I used the same food processor and ingredients I always have. I'd poured in more than half the oil and it was still liquid. I almost stopped because I didn't want to lose more oil. Then I thought, oh well, if this fails I'll turn it into something else. Finally, almost at the very end, it emulsified. Strange. 

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

@julieinMT - your particular question has been addressed in abundance. I have moved your post to a thread all about mayo fails. Scroll up through the three pages here, there's lots of info. :) 

Thank you so much.  I didn't want to throw it out and knew there must be something else I could do with it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I make mayo one time with my hand emulsifier and although it worked, my hand stick got very hot, and it took over 5 minutes to fully blend the mayo.  It was not super thick either.

Now, I use the same recipe in my Ninja. Start with 1 egg, 1/4 cup light olive oil or avocado oil, 1 tsp dry mustard, sea salt in the bowl of the ninja- on high blend for 15 second, now, SLOWLY add a steady light stream of 1 cup of the same oil to the bowl as the blade still spins on high.  I blend it until the timer hits 2.5 minutes- then I blend in my lemon juice.  It's been super thick and perfect each time. 

I think a lot of the failed mayo has to do with the lack of power of the blender/mixer/hand stick.  

I don't measure the "light tasting" OO exactly. I make sure I have at least a cup or so ready to add, but mostly I just pour it right from the bottle. The bottle holds about 2 cups, and I use half the bottle. I make it in a plain old blender and drizzle the oil in gradually. There's a point at which you hear the motor speed change as the ingredients emulsify. Once it thickens, I don't add any more oil. Some days it takes more oil, some days it takes less. I add the lemon juice afterward. I've had a couple fails, but most of the time it turns out fine. I sure love the stuff!

Stephanie

• 3 weeks later...

I need some help from people who are successfully making their own mayo.  The first time I used the whole30 recipe from the cookbook but used a light evoo and found it tasted horrid. Like really bad. And I'm positive the egg was fresh (organic, brown, cage free, pasture, yada yada).  I am using a hand mixer that you stick the two beaters into.  It's a cuisinart brand and I never need to go past speed level 1 or else it splatters all over the place. Actually it still splatters on speed 1 but not as much.  the consistency was quite a bit runnier than hellmans, and only slightly better once I put it in the fridge overnight. But the taste. I really couldn't use and ended up using it as a marinade for pork chops i threw in the instant pot.  

I was pretty sure that the problem was the evoo so I purchased a bottle of avocado oil for my next try.  i also suspected that the egg whites might be contributing to the bad taste so I found a recipe on nomnompaleo called "paleo mayo" that only uses the yolk.  I made this last night. I don't think it "broke" bc it got milky but just sort of stayed that way, runny. looked like a creamy italian dressing consistency.  I couldn't get it to thicken though I poured the room temp oil slower than molasses.  Like super slow. 

So the consistency is still off.  and taste is only marginally better.  It's not good. I wouldn't slather it on anything to eat raw. Might have to figure out another marinade to use it or it's headed to the toilet.  An expensive mistake. 

What's your secret?  Do you use an immersion blender?  Would this make a big difference, you think?

I feel like I need to master the mayo bc it's the base for so many other food options for meals for protein salads etc... 

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, sojurabbit said:

I need some help from people who are successfully making their own mayo.  The first time I used the whole30 recipe from the cookbook but used a light evoo and found it tasted horrid. Like really bad. And I'm positive the egg was fresh (organic, brown, cage free, pasture, yada yada).  I am using a hand mixer that you stick the two beaters into.  It's a cuisinart brand and I never need to go past speed level 1 or else it splatters all over the place. Actually it still splatters on speed 1 but not as much.  the consistency was quite a bit runnier than hellmans, and only slightly better once I put it in the fridge overnight. But the taste. I really couldn't use and ended up using it as a marinade for pork chops i threw in the instant pot.  

I was pretty sure that the problem was the evoo so I purchased a bottle of avocado oil for my next try.  i also suspected that the egg whites might be contributing to the bad taste so I found a recipe on nomnompaleo called "paleo mayo" that only uses the yolk.  I made this last night. I don't think it "broke" bc it got milky but just sort of stayed that way, runny. looked like a creamy italian dressing consistency.  I couldn't get it to thicken though I poured the room temp oil slower than molasses.  Like super slow. 

So the consistency is still off.  and taste is only marginally better.  It's not good. I wouldn't slather it on anything to eat raw. Might have to figure out another marinade to use it or it's headed to the toilet.  An expensive mistake. 

What's your secret?  Do you use an immersion blender?  Would this make a big difference, you think?

I feel like I need to master the mayo bc it's the base for so many other food options for meals for protein salads etc... 

Mayo, mayo making, mayo fails and every other mayo topic has been discussed excessively on this forum.  Google is the best way to search and I put in 'whole30 mayo fail' and got dozens of threads.  I've merged your topic with a popular one to keep the forums tidy... if the info you need isn't on this one, take a look at some other mayo fail threads.

• 2 months later...

I just had to share my recent mayo-making fail so you all can commiserate or laugh with me. ;) 

I use an immersion blender/mason jar combo and have always had great success. This time, I dumped everything in my mason jar, put the blender in, hit the button to turn it on....and nothing happened. So I'm messing with the plug to see if it's just not plugged in well, and the entire thing tips over! Yeah...olive oil and raw egg all over the counter and floor. I couldn't even make dump ranch with that failure! :P 

Luckily, I am not forever mayo cursed. I just got brave enough to try again and the blender worked! Even tried making the mayo with lime this time because I used up my lemon in the last batch and I like the flavor. I'm grateful because I was so bad at getting fat in my meals without mayo; it's like a staple in my Whole30 diet! I NEEDED my mayo!

• Moderators
2 hours ago, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

I just had to share my recent mayo-making fail so you all can commiserate or laugh with me. ;) 

I use an immersion blender/mason jar combo and have always had great success. This time, I dumped everything in my mason jar, put the blender in, hit the button to turn it on....and nothing happened. So I'm messing with the plug to see if it's just not plugged in well, and the entire thing tips over! Yeah...olive oil and raw egg all over the counter and floor. I couldn't even make dump ranch with that failure! :P 

Luckily, I am not forever mayo cursed. I just got brave enough to try again and the blender worked! Even tried making the mayo with lime this time because I used up my lemon in the last batch and I like the flavor. I'm grateful because I was so bad at getting fat in my meals without mayo; it's like a staple in my Whole30 diet! I NEEDED my mayo!

Before I knew of the mason jar method I was making a double batch of mayo in my food processor... managed to flip almost 3 cups of oil onto the floor... luckily my cat was there to walk through it and track it around the house... 

9 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Before I knew of the mason jar method I was making a double batch of mayo in my food processor... managed to flip almost 3 cups of oil onto the floor... luckily my cat was there to walk through it and track it around the house... 

What a helpful kitty! :rolleyes:  Ughhh. Yours sounds like such a mess. I thought a cup of oil was tough to clean up, but 3 cups?!? Yuck. 

• Moderators
On 9/28/2017 at 6:07 AM, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

What a helpful kitty! :rolleyes:  Ughhh. Yours sounds like such a mess. I thought a cup of oil was tough to clean up, but 3 cups?!? Yuck. 

So I went to make mayo last night and was pouring in the oil to the mason jar not really noticing that there was a hole in the bottom of the jar (from freezing it I assume) so all the oil poured out from the jar onto the counter, down the cupboards, onto the floor... I may have yelled 'you have GOT to be kidding me!'

• Moderators
On September 29, 2017 at 5:56 PM, NoneOtherThanAmy said:

@SugarcubeOD Oh no! That's pretty coincidental... :ph34r: You didn't have a horrible day at work right before that happened, right? If so, I may have somehow accidentally sent my bad luck off across the US and all the way to Vancouver. Sorry about that.

I think someone sent me a clutz curse.... that was the day I spilled my lemon water on myself 3 times before 9am and managed to somehow kick myself in the back of the calf with my alternate foot causing quite the cramp (and string of swears).  So the thing I was making was ceaser salad dressing, not mayo (same process) and I ended up using off anchovies... I went straight to bed after that!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived