Starting September 14th - Accountability

Itsmegdean

Had to talk myself down off a ledge with the scale again today! I'm sure you guys are sick of hearing about my scale struggles, but this forum has been so helpful for me. Sometimes just seeing my feelings written out helps me let go of them a little bit, you know?

Feeling bloated today brought out my scale demons, again. As soon as I pulled on my pants and felt that day 9 snug feeling I wanted to run to the scale to make sure I hadn't gained weight. I started panicking about my food choices, wondering if 3 eggs really is too many, should I really be eating half of an avocado at a meal, maybe I should cut out the coconut milk in my coffee, my former dieting mindset immediately just took over my brain. 

I took sometime to sort out my thoughts, sipped on my coffee (with the coconut milk!), and read through some W30 and Whole9 articles to remind myself of all the good I'm doing my body right now and how the scale isn't going to tell me ANYTHING about my health or how I'm doing right now. I avoided the scale, but honestly, probably only because I took the batteries out yesterday. 

It's been hard having all my old dieting demons pop up, but at the same time I'm feeling really good about finally dealing with them! I'm so ready to get away from dieting, so sick of it always being in the back of my mind!

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great to read all the posts in this thread - the support everyone is offering is a great motivator.  Thank you.

With any luck we're all heading to a point of lots more energy!  I'm looking forward to that.  I've had a couple of long and tiring days with work and travel and not always the best food choices on offer.  I managed a compliant dinner this evening from three different sources on the train station concourse and ate it on the train.  Not ideal but better than the choices of sandwiches, crisps and chocolate that would have formed 'dinner on a train' six to twelve months ago for me.  It is the small victories that all add up, I think, for sure.  I've been trying to keep track of them all and when I have a look back there are cumulatively more than I think on any one day - the most consistent one for me is more stable energy levels that aren't dependent upon the nearest food to sustain them.  I need to remember this when I'm passing store after store that is luring me in to eat things I'd like to but am choosing not to!

Hope everyone has a good day 10 tomorrow. :D  

Hey everyone!

This thread that started on the 14th is super awesome. Thanks so much for staying positive, supportive, helpful, etc.

Kruddock... Thanks for pointing out that bacon does not count as protein. I guess I never really thought about it, but that makes sense.

Day 10 tomorrow! How cool is that?!!

For those of you doing this the first time... I just want to say when we get to the end you should definitely do the reintroduction correctly!!

I wish I would have the first two times I did a whole 30. I'm looking forward to it this time. It will be interesting to see how that goes.

I'm trying a recipe from thegunnysack.com tomorrow. It's a chipotle chicken salad with a recipe for homemade dressing. Always fun to mix things up and try new things. Chicken marinating right now... Yum!

Good night and keep on keeping on everyone!

Wow but my whole work schedule has turned totally upside down literally overnight. Yesterday I was assigned as a troubleshooter to another division of our company. Worked half a day at my usual, then was sent 50 miles away and worked another full day. Now I'll be doing both jobs for the foreseeable future. Good thing I like and respect my boss and company! But extra good thing that I prepped food the way I did this week. I missed the usual dinner hour but held out from the take out ordered as I knew I could have a great meal on the table within 15 minutes of walking in the door at home. I just did a food review and I'm good to go for all meals through Friday. Planning, planning, planning...keeps the unexpected from derailing my life. Good luck to everyone out there on day 10!

Wow but my whole work schedule has turned totally upside down literally overnight. Yesterday I was assigned as a troubleshooter to another division of our company. Worked half a day at my usual, then was sent 50 miles away and worked another full day. Now I'll be doing both jobs for the foreseeable future. Good thing I like and respect my boss and company! But extra good thing that I prepped food the way I did this week. I missed the usual dinner hour but held out from the take out ordered as I knew I could have a great meal on the table within 15 minutes of walking in the door at home. I just did a food review and I'm good to go for all meals through Friday. Planning, planning, planning...keeps the unexpected from derailing my life. Good luck to everyone out there on day 10!

well done!  That's really is what it's all about.  I actually enjoy my hour I give myself on Saturday to plan for the week and then just go out on Sunday get what I need and do some prep for the week and then I feel a real sense of calm.  It's creeping into rest of life as well.  I'm finally using my passion planner and getting read for the week and making positive steps to what I want :)

I second everyone one on the supportive nature of the thread.  It's so nice :) Go us!

Also I know day 10 and 11 are meant to be hard but on the other hand we are a third of the way through woot!

xxx

Had a friend over for dinner last night, and I'm a fairly functional cook (I usually need a recipe). But last night I found myself trying out different flavor combinations (kale, bacon, and sweet potatoes with a squeeze of orange) and some leftover grilled chicken for protein. It made me realize how much of a rut I've been in when it comes to eating and how many more flavors are out there to be tried. This journey is a real eye-opener in many ways.

Made it to Day 10, but really was a struggle.  Hit the "what the heck am I even doing this for" thought process last night.  I fought through and feel better this morning.  Hoping today goes better!  Trying to think of something "fun" for dinner..maybe something we can have a picnic with outside?  Left the house this morning without getting meat out of the freezer...so need a plan before I hit the door tonight.

Day 10! 1/3 the way through! Slept HORRIFICALLY last night. As in I fell asleep probably around 3 and my alarm goes off at 5:40. Shockingly, I am not dragging too badly today though I am skipping the gym because I am not pushing my body running on 2 hours of sleep. I didn't take a magnesium supplement before bed last night so maybe I need to make sure to get that every night.

Happy hump day!

Rough night!  But I persevered.  Given a stressful day yesterday, getting a bit less sleep b/c of that stress, and a night out I feel very good about my choices today.  

Big concert in town last night.  My friend and I took our daughters out for dinner beforehand.  I followed all of the rules and thought I did well.  Not a great menu for choices.  Had a chat with waitress about no gluten or dairy. (It's like she basically ignored me b/c she was swamped.)  She brought the bread plate first and while my friend had wine & bread I had my sparkling water with lime.  Hard part: explaining.  Easy party: I enjoyed water more than alcohol.    I ended up with a grilled burger (put the bun aside) and a mixed green salad.  The sugared walnuts came even though I asked her to take them off so just pushed them aside.  She brought oil & vinegar in cups on the side but my lesson learned is to ask for the bottle.  I started eating the salad which I know was dry before, and there was a sweet taste.  Unfortunately stopped eating it and didn't get many veggies for the night.

Got to the concert suite and was surrounded by my friends eating cotton candy, a big bowl of popcorn, and a big bowl of chips.  Soda, wine, & beer and only two water bottles left in the fridge.  I really didn't miss any of them but really learned how hard it is to socialize on this program.  I hate getting questioned & having to explain myself.

So....there is a little voice in the back of my head saying (have you had sugar?) but I'm marching on.  Advice to anyone.....the whole pre-planning process before dining out does not always go as planned.  Follow the website/book's tips and do the best you can!

Jdubkc it sounds like survived a challenging evening.. bravo! I haven't even tried eating out while on this eating plan. I think as far as accidental sugar consumption- it's not necessarily a cause for re-start if you don't want it to be. I think if it were me, I would do a re-start if I intentionally ate something sweet because of a craving but when I find out after the fact that there was a bit of sugar I live and learn. Everyone is probably different though.

Happy day 10 everyone. Do what you've done so far twice more and you're done!

So....there is a little voice in the back of my head saying (have you had sugar?) but I'm marching on.  Advice to anyone.....the whole pre-planning process before dining out does not always go as planned.  Follow the website/book's tips and do the best you can!

Sounds like you handled the whole evening really well! Is is possible that they just served you balsamic vinegar? Balsamic usually tastes pretty sweet to me, but I think it is usually compliant? 

Yes, will try the eating out thing this Friday.  When it was just going to be my husband and I, I was confident I could special order my way through to a safe meal.  Now we are going with another couple whom I don't know all that well.  Working on being ok with special ordering in front of them....

Bloating and headache gone today!!

We're doing great! 10 days down, 20 to go! Thanks for all of the awesome posts, I keep up with reading, but don't find a lot of time to respond. Hope everyone had a WONDERFUL day 10. I unfortunately ended up with a massive headache this evening. Off to bed I go and hopefully day 11 will be smooth sailing for us all.

Sounds like you handled the whole evening really well! Is is possible that they just served you balsamic vinegar? Balsamic usually tastes pretty sweet to me, but I think it is usually compliant? 

Unfortunately no it wasn't balsamic.  That's what I was expecting.  It was a little cup of their "house vinaigrette" I think which means it most likely had sugar.  Didn't even dawn on me until I took a bite.  Oh well, keeping on and may go an extra ten days at the end.  Will evaluate when I get closer.  Haven't pondered the reintroduction but may also be able to leave sugar until the end.  This is so HARD but keeping in mind what Dallas & Melissa say that having a baby is hard.  Losing a loved one is hard.  I overdid it on good compliant foods today.  Need to do a lot of reading for motivation tonight.

Way to go everyone.  So glad I have this forum to vent to.  :-)

Day 12 and delighted to have an upsurge in energy to be awake and up just after 5am - this is one of the biggest benefits of a whole30 for me - feeling rested after a decent amount of sleep and ready to wake up early and get on with things.  A very welcome start this morning.

Hope everyone has a good day today - we're 40% of the way through these 30 days at the end of today.

Day 12 and delighted to have an upsurge in energy to be awake and up just after 5am - this is one of the biggest benefits of a whole30 for me - feeling rested after a decent amount of sleep and ready to wake up early and get on with things.  A very welcome start this morning.

Hope everyone has a good day today - we're 40% of the way through these 30 days at the end of today.

Good for you! :) I'm on a bit of slump but powering through but hopefully if it goes in the way it should do I should start feeling the ups over the weekend, which is much needed as the week ahead is making a wedding dress week!  I have managed to avoid being killy, which has pleased me as I work in an open plan office.  Clearly had an emotional couple of days 8-9 but that's all calmed down.

So excited to feel all the changes happening :)

Ah! I couldn't fall asleep AGAIN last night. I ran out to Walgreens at midnight to buy some Unisom. I'll give the unison another shot tonight and if isn't helping I'll have to call my doc for script. With an active toddler and work, I can't continue on 3 hours of sleep. I feel decent now but I know it will catch up to me. I don't have coffee after 2 the latest so I'm not too sure what's going on.

Besides that, food is fine and I'm getting plenty of water. Day 11 here we go!

Ah! I couldn't fall asleep AGAIN last night. I ran out to Walgreens at midnight to buy some Unisom. I'll give the unison another shot tonight and if isn't helping I'll have to call my doc for script. With an active toddler and work, I can't continue on 3 hours of sleep. I feel decent now but I know it will catch up to me. I don't have coffee after 2 the latest so I'm not too sure what's going on.

Besides that, food is fine and I'm getting plenty of water. Day 11 here we go!

Take a magnesium supplement daily, include your starchy veg in meal three, avoid coffee after mid-day, start to 'wind down' AT LEAST an hour before bed (ie. no screen time) and dim the lights around the same time, ensure your bedroom is a little cooler than the day time temperature, get outdoors in the morning for AT LEAST 15 mins - and breathe.................. Stress is a big factor with sleep so if you're stressing try some kind of meditation or a relaxing activity such as colouring in.....

Hope this helps!

Thanks jmcbn. I do all those things but eliminating screen time an hour before bed. I'm totally guilty of laying in bed with my phone and using it to fall asleep. I really need to start reading again before bed or doing a crossword puzzle. I'll be trying that tonight so hopefully it improves the situation.

I had post partum anxiety that manifested into insomnia so when I have a bad night sleep I begin to stress about not sleeping well the following night. Meds really helped but I'm going to try the no screen time thing before I go that route again.

Thanks jmcbn. I do all those things but eliminating screen time an hour before bed. I'm totally guilty of laying in bed with my phone and using it to fall asleep. I really need to start reading again before bed or doing a crossword puzzle. I'll be trying that tonight so hopefully it improves the situation.

I had post partum anxiety that manifested into insomnia so when I have a bad night sleep I begin to stress about not sleeping well the following night. Meds really helped but I'm going to try the no screen time thing before I go that route again.

Have you ever taken Melatonin?  My whole family took it (even the kids) to travel overseas this summer.  We liked the gummies that were Sleep Well brand found at Walgreens & Target.  I'm not sure about ingredients though.  Probably sugar given it's a gummy.  My husband took the pills.  Some people swear by it.  I didn't notice it knocking us out or anything.  Friend swears by it for her kids though.

How's everyone doing? Still on board?

Today I was running late and was cursing this eating plan because I couldn't just grab a yogurt or cereal bar on my way out. I had to prepare my breakfast AND lunch and it took forever (for some reason the more I rush the slower I am). It's the thing I remember hating most about the first Whole30 I did- so little flexibility. By day 25 I was really getting frustrated. 

Anyone have any ideas for on the run breakfasts, lunches for mornings like this when nothing cooperates?

Oh my day 12! Can't believe it and the time are a changing.  I had a smoked salmon salad for breakfast.  Something that I would not have contemplated at the start of the process but the stuff was there and needed to be finished up.  I'm not having any waste and although I'm spending more on shopping I'm saving by not snacking and buying stuff all through the day and clearly by not drinking :)  I really agree that the prep makes the difference and I actually enjoy planning a few days a time because knowing what you are going to be eating leaves you room to think about other things. I'm still a bit pooped today but I'm glad I made it past day 11 and I'm looking forward to the climbing energy levels :)

Thanks again for all the support.

xxx

Glad to have days 10 & 11 behind me too. I woke feeling great! And my 15-month old slept in until 6, instead of the more recent 5am wake-up. -bonus!!

Then, as I came downstairs to prepare our breakfast, my husband who's been amazingly supportive by doing Whole30 with me, abruptly said "I'm done." He says it's not the food, it's because of me. He's sick of all the added tension with my meal prepping. I don't know if I can do this on my own. I tried hard to NOT make this difficult for him because I was so pumped he was willing to support me in this, but it totally backfired. I'm trying so hard to not take this personally, and just be ok with him doing his own thing. Though I'm really freaking out... Sorry, just needed to vent.

Archived