Kefir, Ginger Beer & other home-brew 'soft' drinks

nynaeve2k

I'm looking at making my fluids a little bit more interesting than water & sparkling water (& adding a bit of fruit to them). I'm about to take delivery of a Kombucha brewing kit so I'm excited about that.

The website I've bought it off also sells kefir 'grains' (which don't appear to be grains at all) but I'm not sure whether they'd be compliant or not. I'd make it with water too. They even have natural ginger infused ones.

They also have a ginger beer making kit but I'm emailing them about ingredients in their 'paste' but I believe this is another fermentation process that eats any sugars prior to drinking too.

If anyone has any advice, it would be gratefully received.

P.S. I already cold brew various teas & I tried coconut water (very expensive stuff!) & let's just say it's not for me.....

Not sure about the ginger beer...what website are you ordering this from? The kefir is fine as long as you are making it with water I believe. Coconut water is basically fruit juice and should only be used for re-hydrating after endurance exercise not a regular beverage.

Thank you both. I wasn't sure about the kefir as from what I can find out I thought they contained casein - a milk protein. But it also seemed like it was just a culture too.

The ginger beer would be from www.kombuchatea.co.uk - but I'm going to request ingredients info first before I order it!

I only had a couple of sips of the coconut water anyway - it was vile! Don't think I'd want to drink that again ever!

Archived