Starting Whole30 - need kid snack direction

jdubkc

I am beginning the Whole30 on Monday.  I am very ready to go but there is one thing that is really stressing me out - the kids!  There are so many resources on this site....I also know nothing about Paleo.....so I am posting this in case anyone feels like starting me out with some direction & links.

First off, we are a rather healthy family in that I cook ALL of the time.  My kids love most everything and really do prefer my cooking over going out to eat.  They are not fast food kids.  They are growing and constantly hungry (skinny boy 13, girl 9).  My husband and I have personal trained together for five years so he is totally on board with eating healthy.  Our one challenge is going to be getting rid of our protein shakes & peanut butter. 

This program just seems overwhelming as I just put together my shopping list.  My family will have NO problem eating my dinners.  It is the snacks that worry me.  Right now after school their snacks are hearty - cheese/crackers, leftovers made with chili (chili bowl, chili/cheese burrito, etc.) and dishes using taco meat.  Their school serves healthy lunches.  I am not a "100% kids always have to be healthy" mom.  (past ED and don't want my daughter especially feeling deprived as I know where that leads.)  I know these foods are not anywhere close to being healthy in the Whole30 scheme of things, but compared to processed crap in a bag or box....I'd rather them eat homemade, organic food.  The biggest challenge is finding grab & go foods they can eat when they are starving.  (I often times make protein bars, balls, etc)  A piece of meat, handful of nuts, & piece of fruit is not the norm for them.

I am torn b/c I know they need Whole30.  Son eats worse....total sugar lover....and I swear daughter has an aversion to something.  She is gaining weight pretty quickly and has skin issues.  I'm almost sure it is dairy but could also be gluten.  I just think demanding Whole30 100% of the time is going to be so stressful & challenging that I will be a mess.

Thanks in advance for some direction.

Jill

Are you doing a whole family 30? If you are the only one who is doing a Whole 30 then you can choose to continue feeding your children the way you have been up until now. If you are doing this as a family, then you could try any kind of thing for snack. Veggies with homemade mayo dip. Fruit with nut butter dip (I've heard that sunflower butter and cashew butter are pretty hard to tell from peanut butter; I've never been a big fan of almond butter personally). Chicken salad (chicken, mayo, raisins, chopped celery, chopped onion) or tuna salad on cucumber rounds/in lettuce cups. Ants on a log (celery + nut butter + raisins). Go crazy and wrap asparagus and green beans and maybe a few dates with prosciutto slices and bake.

A piece of meat, handful of nuts, & piece of fruit is not the norm for them.

Okay, but it could be.  :)

I have never had a reason to make my kids do a Whole 30 -- but we have been a mostly Paleo family for 3 years.

We a-l-w-a-y-s have meat in the fridge they can grab.  When we grill, we grill a bunch.  Meats, hard-boiled eggs, veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds -- these are completely appropriate things to make up a snack.  

Archived