Vitamins and Supplements

mmarmstrong

Hey all,

I'm relatively new to the Whole30 (Day 3) and I didn't even think to check my supplements and vitamins before starting. Can someone verify for me that they're okay? I think my Fish Oil and L-Lysine are alright, though probably not high quality. I do have concerns about my multi-vitamin though.

Finest Nutrition Fish Oil (Walgreens): Fish (anchovy, mackerel, sardine) ingredients, gelatin, glycerin, mixed natural tocopherols

Spring Valley L-Lysine: L-Lysine hydrochloride, cellulose (plant origin); <2% of silica, vegetable magnesium sterate, vegetable stearic acid

One A Day Women's Formula Complete Multivitamin: Calcium carbonate, microcrystalline cellulose, ascorbic acid, ferrous fumarate; <2% of beta-carotene, biotin, cholecalciferol, chromium chloride, croscarmellose sodium, cupric oxide, cyanocobalamin, d-calcium pantothenate, dl-alpha-tocopheryl acetate, FD&C Blue #2 Lake, Yellow #5 (tartrazine) Lake, Yellow #6 Lake, folic acid, hydroxypropyl methycellulose, magnesium oxide, manganese sulfate, niacinamide, phytonadione, polyethylene glycol, potassium iodide, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflaivin, silicon dioxide, sodium selenite, stearic acid, thiamine mononitrate, titanium dioxide (color), Vitamin A acetate, zinc oxide

My big concerns with the One A Day formula is the Manganese Sulfate and also just the sheer number of ingredients, though I know that's how they are able to be a multivitamin, by including different vitamins which each have to be chemically stabilized. Any experienced folks that can help me out?

• Moderators

The multivitamin has, at least, some sweeteners in it (see the Sneaky Sugars list), which would make it not compliant.

If you're eating plenty of vegetables, proteins, healthy fats, and occasionally some fruit, you should be getting all the vitamins you need. If your doctor has tested and found that there is some particular vitamin you're deficient in that you need to supplement, you'd be better off looking for just that particular vitamin, rather than a multivitamin, it's easier to find those in a compliant form most of the time.

I'd skip the multivitamin for the 30 days and concentrate on eating a variety of real, whole foods, and then decide if you want to continue taking it after your Whole30. You might also be interested in this article about what to look for in a supplement.

Archived