Colonoscopy Prep?

angecu

Unless you're going to drink water and bone broth all day, I'd restart your Whole30 to day 1 the day after your colonoscopy: sorry.

With the prep and "elimination" that will be occuring in the 24-48 hours before your procedure, I feel that makes the most sense.

I recently did a colonoscopy prep with bone broth throughout the day and coconut water for the Miralax mix, no problem. The important thing was staying hydrated. The bone broth is nutritious and the coconut water contains electrolytes. The "standard" list of acceptable drinks is disgusting. You're right, pure sugar. The de facto recommendation of Gatorade can be traced back to a study that showed that drinking Gatorade with Miralax increased patient compliance with completing the prep. I never checked who funded that study. When I asked my gastro what I could have instead of Gatorade, he suggested artificially sweetened Snapple. Ugh. Good luck, whatever you decide.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I am starting the Whole 30 on January 1st and I have a colonoscopy on January 13th. From what I am hearing the "PREP" drink isn't allowed on the Whole 30, is this true. These posts are old...have anything changed?

I refuse to not start on January 1st, my brain is so ready. So if this is the case I am moving my procedure.

Thanks for any feedback,

Kristen

• 1 month later...

I am 3 weeks in before colonoscopy. I plan on bone broth and some gummies along with coconut water. Is there anything that would prevent me from being compliant? I don't want to start over and I have enjoyed the changes so far I will be on day 26 and 27 round 1. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
5 minutes ago, Sarah Baldwin said:

I'm having a colonoscopy tomorrow and dis not realize the "drink " has suger in it? Can I prep today with out the drink?

I don't think so. The "drink" is a heavy duty laxative which you need in order to ensure that your colon is as clean as possible. If they get in there and there is too much waste because the prep wasn't done properly, it was all for not. If there is a reason for you to be having a colonoscopy, in my opinion you should be prepping as prescribed so that they can get the best possible information from your test. Some sugar in your prescription isn't going to damage your whole30.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for asking this. I have the same procedure scheduled for after the 30 days, but during reintroduction (and with plans to expand Whole30 beyond 30 days). These are great ideas to avoid adding loads of sugar even if it is after my Whole30! 

Unfortunately, I'm directed to start a "soft diet" which will start on day 30. Their recommendations: avoid all vegetables except potatoes, eat: lean meat, eggs, soft cheese, yogurt, cakes, bread, soft rolls, pudding, custard, etc. Out of a page long list of foods to eat, almost all of it is non-compliant. I'm going to be off template day 30 with the recommendation to avoid vegetables except potatoes, but will not be using this as an excuse to eat junk and throw in the towel early. Instead I'm going to make a nice pot roast with potatoes, some mashed potatoes with duck fat, eggs for breakfast, etc to stay completely compliant until taking the prep liquid. 

Archived