Feeling down about a restart

CFholly

I made it successfully to Day 13 with no dramas. All was going well. Training hard at Crossfit and eating well. Then... holidays arrive and a trip interstate tempted me with icecream, a cider here, a piece of bread with my breakfast there.

Smack bang in the middle of the Whole30 - although a premeditated 'fail', I feel crap about it but am determined to restart Day1 tomorrow!

Words of encouragement and support required!! It's worth it in the end.... Right?!

Yes it's worth it. Get through your first one. Subsequent ones will be easier. I just fell off my third Whole30 at Day 20 because there were Russell Stover chocolate coconut pumpkins at the grocery store checkout and I was shopping when hungry, and then did a couple of days that featured some off-plan eating because of social situations. Whatever, just forgive myself and get back on.

I'm only on Day 7 and like you have had no dramas so far, which doesn't mean I won't before I finish. But you know what - we're all human and life is a learning curve. No one ever failed a diet, a way of eating or any lifestyle plan by making one mistake. It's what you do after the mistake that counts. You can either go "oh, I made a mistake, fell off the wagon so I might as well give up and eat everything in sight" OR "oh, I made a mistake, well that's one I won't make again" and pick yourself up, dust yourself down and totally recommit to the W30. I just know that's the option you're going to choose. :) Best of luck.

Think you both for the encouraging words. I feel I my need to use this forum to help me through the restart, as I'm feelih a bit shaky and doubtful of my ability to fully commit. I NEED to do this. For myself, my moods (I take meds for anxiety), my general way of life, and my peace of mind. I am someone that needs support (aren't we all!) - so I am hoping the kind people on this forum can help me through!!

It totally is worth it - but one/two/three/however many 'restarts' doesn't really matter as this isn't a one-time-only thing. Yes sure it's a pain, and it feels like a real shame when you try so hard for a couple of weeks to then have to restart, but just think of it as a continuation (albeit with a blip in the middle) of a much bigger picture, where you gradually get healthier and healthier!

Use the forum as much as you need, it is full of support and people at different stages with different issues, I've been amazed by the level of support from everyone. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Let me just say that it is okay to have a slip..Just start fresh! No biggie!! It is so worth it to commit fully though. I am on day 63 now.. I feel so amazing that I didn't want to quit at day 30. I couldn't! All of my migraines are gone, no more insomnia, no more cravings, no more depression and anxiety, no tummy issues, no joint issues. I feel like the 36 year old that I SHOULD feel like. I also have lost 18lbs to date.. I am sooo happy! Keep moving on. You can do it!!!

Are you familiar at all with meditation practice? In lots of meditation practices, you are focusing on a single thing, such as a phrase, or counting your breaths, etc. Whenever you break focus, you simply bring back your attention to the focus point again. *It doesn't matter how many times you stray and have to bring back your focus* - it is the act of bringing it back that counts!! So, say you set out to count your breaths, from one to ten, over and over. You keep getting stuck at three and letting your mind wander. You just keep bringing it back to one, starting over. Eventually you'll be able to go longer. Maybe the very next time, maybe not.

My point in typing this is that that's how I'm choosing to view Whole30. I'm focusing on eating the good foods that are allowed. I have not "broken focus" yet, and I don't intend to, but if I find myself doing it anyway, I'm going to bring it back to counting the first breath. And I'm going to try to avoid stressing about it, because it is the act of bringing it back that counts!!

CFHolly, just remember you did 13 days! That is something to be proud of and now doing 13 more won't seem so hard....so why not push it longer?

I am going to restart tomorrow. I have been using grass-fed butter because I just haven't made it to the health food store for ghee or coconut oil. I also had OJ a couple times, which I told myself was OK (I think my mind let me fudge the memory of what was acceptable in the W30 rules), but after re-reading the guidelines and a testimonial about not being half-assed, I decided to start over. I am very tempted to throw today out the window and cheat, but I don't want to undo the good I HAVE achieved in the last week.

CFHolly, given all the temptations out there, it's a triumph every SINGLE time someone starts back up again! You can do this. Celebrate the fact that you're going for it again! I tell myself, feelings are just feelings, they aren't good guides to reality. Good luck!

Archived