The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

It's great to be amongst all of you. So excited to get back to beautiful veggies of all colors on my plate! I'm going to take pics this time; green kale, bright red peppers, harvest pumpkin orange, last chance yellow squash, yummy smooth cauliflower puree, pretty baby purple beet salad...

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Acha, Misslindy, Jonica, Alexa .......welcome!  Glad to see that people are finding their way into the group. I will be leaving today for a couples weekend up in the Maryland mountains. Going for a steam engine train ride to see the foliage, spend time with friends, and some dining. Will return on Sunday with some great energy to kick this party off. BE READY! 

Dave

So i am planning a prep day on sunday. Have well fed book and im looking at these scotch eggs. I normally bake them but saw a video where they were fried in coconut oil. Does anyone have a preference for which one is best? I do like a crispy meatball. Im planning on making my own sausages as i can not find compliant ones at the stores near me. Aldi is nice but I mainly get the staples there.

Sunday is my Day 1, so I'd like to tag along with you guys. This is my first Whole30. I was diagnosed with RA in July 2014 and with a 2nd auto-immune disease in January 2015. I'm on methotrexate. I have serious hopes that the Whole30 eating plan will permit me to reduce (and maybe eventually eliminate!) the methotrexate. I define success with this first one as getting my rheumatologist to agree to a slight reduction in the methotrexate. Looking forward to tagging along.

LissFish, so glad to be back in a thread with you! Hope all is well and that you are thriving.

Ceil, welcome! From what I have learned about Dave, and from what you can tell from his welcome post, I don't think anyone of us will be tagging along....this will be w wild and exhilarating ride. So glad you are joining us.

Today is my Day 7, on my second W30.  I'm planning to stay with it longer and have definitely added exercise as a focus this time. :)  I'd love to join in the group.  Plus, after tonight, I have a really nice recipe for sausage stuffed acorn squash if anyone's interested. :D

Hi, everyone. Apologies for the novella here...

I'm new to Whole30. Have had an extremely stressful few years & now find myself in the worst shape of my life. The condensed version: moved for a job, company went belly up after only a few months (gross mismanagement), father hospitalized 10 days later, drove down to care for him -- it's now 3 months later, I'm still unemployed, and am now caring for 2 parents with Alzheimer's disease. To say I'm exhausted is an understatement. I've never felt so uttterly wiped out.

I used to eat clean and exercise daily, but all that's gone out the window in the midst of all of this. I know I've gained weight (most of my clothes don't fit anymore), but I'm too scared to get on a scale and find out how much. :(  I doubt there is a scale here at my parents' house, anyway. I did buy a measuring tape so I can record measurements, and I plan to take before pics. Ugh. :(

Sugar is my nemesis, and there is plenty of it here in my parents' house, but given the connection between Alzheimer's and sugar consumption (and witnessing the clear evidence of that in my parents), I know I have the kick the stuff. I haven't felt this lousy in, well... ever. I know this won't be easy, especially because food seems to have become the only way I give back to myself right now, but it's not really giving back -- the pleasure is fleeting and then I feel even worse. I know it sounds like I'm talking about a drug, but that's how my relationship with sugar has been my entire life. It is an addiction.

I'll be having to keep my meals very simple b/c I am away from my home (and all of my kitchen utensils and appliances). I did have the good sense to bring my julienne peeler with me, though. I'll be shopping and prepping this weekend so I'm ready to roll on Monday.

Thank you all for starting this group. It may not seem like much to you, but for me, it's nothing short of a lifeline right now.

LV8, welcome...and may you be blessed with unexpected grace at every turn. That you came to this place for help shows your innate wisdom, and that knowing of yourself...and cherishing of Your well being will get you through.

I'm not taking this lightly...the road you are on is treacherous and rocky. Caregiving for parents is a BIG and snarky mission, but one that is also sacred. You have what it takes to live through this chapter in your life, and clean eating, exercise, and the whole9 approach will hold you on the earth...and so will we.

The good news about your recent past eating habits is how much of a HUGE change you will feel as you move through the Whole30. The challenges will be huge too...but you already have the awareness that, what Meadow Lily called thrill eating...and what many of us also know as comfort eating really provides neither thrill nor comfort...at least not for more than five minutes...and with a lifetime of bad results.

I just finished earlier this year caring for my mother with dementia...and I completed my first whole 30 while I did it. I found the structure of the program and the fabulous support of the forum so important to me. Didn't take away the pain of my experience, but helped me know I was strong enough to ride that wave until it reached the shore.

So, welcome. Do what you can to get ready, even away from your kitchen. Roast some veggies, gather recipes from the forum and make big batches of meals that will sustain you...and get ready to kick that sugar dragon to the curb.

LV8nTheVibe-->I can't top mergthemagnificent's beautiful post; I'm more of a Martha than a Mary. I've been through eldercare (and from a distance) with both parents, now gone from cancers, so I can't fully appreciate the strain of Alzheimer's.  Anyhow, here goes Mary. First, sources of respite care. Siblings? Neighbors? Church volunteers? Paid adult day care? How large a town are you in? There should also be some sort of county office for the aging.  You need a break, if not every day, at least several times a week. You don't say how far away you are from your own home, but arrange a longer stint of coverage and go home and get your kitchen stuff, at least the portable things. Pans, slow cooker, good knives, etc. Next, would your parents eat at least some of the same food that you're fixing for yourself?? This might be tricky, because you don't want them throwing food at you, if a new dish creates anger. Next, talking with them. Get them talking about their past, and take notes. You might find yourself trying, after they're gone, trying to remember some odd bit of family lore that you JUST KNOW mom would have known. Both my mom and an aunt that I had responsibility for had minor dementia. I got to a place where I could turn the repeated stories into a ritual, like a litany. It helped. Also, my aunt ended up in a nursing home. I made a simple scrapbook, one thought and one photo on a page, where she was born, her siblings, her job, her travels, etc, for the staff to have available to chat with her.

Blessings to you. We're here, even if all you want to do is vent.

Hi all! I completed my first Whole30 on Sept. 30 (met a group of very amazing supporters during that wonderful experience, and it looks like a couple of them are here too!), and have been mostly compliant since, but I find that my attitude has taken a turn toward the food-crazies again. Even though I didn't eat much non-compliant food in the last week (some beer and cheese last weekend while out of town with my adult daughters), I think my head needs to be back in a W30 for a while. I have a long (44 years and counting) history of disordered behavior around food, and it may take longer than 30 days to move past it! I'm 58, and have been fighting this battle since I was 14. My first W30 was very successful, and I think 30 more will go a long way toward adjusting my "food-itude" more permanently. I'd love to join all of you for the ride (cruise?)!

When is Columbus Day? I guess it doesn't matter, as I'm starting right now!

Today is my Day 7, on my second W30.  I'm planning to stay with it longer and have definitely added exercise as a focus this time. :)  I'd love to join in the group.  Plus, after tonight, I have a really nice recipe for sausage stuffed acorn squash if anyone's interested. :D

I'd love the recipe. Exercise just makes me feel even more energetic and it keeps me flexible. Find something you like to do and it will be fun!

Nancy, I'm so glad to see you here. Your posts have been inspiring to me. I don't feel I'm in control enough yet to reintroduce foods. 74 years of yo-yo dieting and poor food choices are hard to overcome. We both made that first W30 and we'll do fine with this one, too. Columbus Day is Monday, October 12.

I'd love the recipe. Exercise just makes me feel even more energetic and it keeps me flexible. Find something you like to do and it will be fun!

I have gotten into the swing of thing this week with my Elliptical.  I feel so much better after I've exercised, my problem is getting motivated to get started.  But... I have found a slightly twisted way of getting myself on the machine that has been working beautifully and making the time fly by while I'm on there.  I'm streaming a tv show on my kindle that I used to watch with my daughter and shamefully became addicted to.  I missed the first three seasons, which should carry me the first 3 weeks, after that I don't know if I'll stay with that show or go to another (later seasons were not so good, too much fighting). The twisted part is that it is America's Next Top Model, lol.

The squash recipe is so easy. 

2 acorn squash

2 lbs of browned sausage (you will have some left over - I made "perfect sausage" recipe from W30 and doubled the spices in it)

1/2 onion finely diced

3-4 tablespoons of coconut flour (optional)

2 eggs

1/4 cup coconut milk

chopped spinach or kale (optional)

1/4 c melted ghee

1/2 c coconut amino

Preheat oven to 375 degrees, cut squash in half and scoop out seeds.

Combine ghee and coconut amino, brush on top edges of squash

sauté the onion and any other veg you are using (great way to use leftovers) in ghee or compliant oil, add to sausage. 

If you think you'll need a binder (depends on how high you stack the sausage, lol) add in the coconut flour

add the remaining ghee/amino mix, scoop mixture into squash

Beat eggs with coconut milk and carefully pour into sausage mix (slowly, or it will run all over the place)

Set squash into baking pan with a small amount of water in bottom, cover with foil, bake for 45-60 minutes.

It's a very flexible recipe, much like stuffing a pepper.  The eggs can also be left out, but the sausage won't bind into a "lump" as well. :)  I like to use spinach and kale in my peppers but husband doesn't like kale, so I left it out this time and it worked fine anyway.

I'm in too!

Finished my first whole30 on Sept.30. Loved it. 

I have not reintroduced any non compliant foods yet just eating compliant food but not following the meal template. I need to go back to the basics.  

Will be ready on Monday.

Hi, everyone. Apologies for the novella here...

I'm new to Whole30. Have had an extremely stressful few years & now find myself in the worst shape of my life. The condensed version: moved for a job, company went belly up after only a few months (gross mismanagement), father hospitalized 10 days later, drove down to care for him -- it's now 3 months later, I'm still unemployed, and am now caring for 2 parents with Alzheimer's disease. To say I'm exhausted is an understatement. I've never felt so uttterly wiped out.

I used to eat clean and exercise daily, but all that's gone out the window in the midst of all of this. I know I've gained weight (most of my clothes don't fit anymore), but I'm too scared to get on a scale and find out how much. :(  I doubt there is a scale here at my parents' house, anyway. I did buy a measuring tape so I can record measurements, and I plan to take before pics. Ugh. :(

Sugar is my nemesis, and there is plenty of it here in my parents' house, but given the connection between Alzheimer's and sugar consumption (and witnessing the clear evidence of that in my parents), I know I have the kick the stuff. I haven't felt this lousy in, well... ever. I know this won't be easy, especially because food seems to have become the only way I give back to myself right now, but it's not really giving back -- the pleasure is fleeting and then I feel even worse. I know it sounds like I'm talking about a drug, but that's how my relationship with sugar has been my entire life. It is an addiction.

I'll be having to keep my meals very simple b/c I am away from my home (and all of my kitchen utensils and appliances). I did have the good sense to bring my julienne peeler with me, though. I'll be shopping and prepping this weekend so I'm ready to roll on Monday.

Thank you all for starting this group. It may not seem like much to you, but for me, it's nothing short of a lifeline right now

I can't add much to the wonderful advice given by the other ladies, just wondering if there is Respite Care in the area?  With you caring both, I'm assuming you will not be working outside their home, so you should definitely qualify.  You are going to need a break, some down time, and a chance to breath in peace.  Also, if you have been heavy on the sugar, you could really use the extra help especially in the first week as you kick the sugar dragon.  Be sure to read the timeline and be prepared for it, it's no joke!  (Spoken as one who rolled her eyes at it the first time and failed to eat the necessary protein and fat to carry me through the first week.  It almost knocked me out until clever moderator clued me in.)

That recipe will be in my cook up this week. That's a great way to get your exercise in.

If you are new to exercise, if you just get up during the commercials on tv and walk in place or around the house, you can get a whole mile in during an hour of TV.

Nancy, I'm so glad to see you here. Your posts have been inspiring to me. I don't feel I'm in control enough yet to reintroduce foods. 74 years of yo-yo dieting and poor food choices are hard to overcome. We both made that first W30 and we'll do fine with this one, too. Columbus Day is Monday, October 12.

Exactly what I'm thinking, Susan--too many years to be able to fix all the damage in just one W30. And honestly, doing a W30 was one of the easiest things I've ever done, "Kill ALL the things" phase aside... 

Dave, Meadow, Laurie, Higs, and all the newbies - Good to be here with you!

Rick and I have the little ones this weekend - always my biggest eating challenge. I've made some treats for them, but skipping them for myself.

Glad to join you on Monday!

Higs, I've been following your exercise on Facebook - I'm sidelined from running with plantar fasciitis, but I'm trying to get in some exercise every day anyway :)

I have gotten into the swing of thing this week with my Elliptical.  I feel so much better after I've exercised, my problem is getting motivated to get started.  But... I have found a slightly twisted way of getting myself on the machine that has been working beautifully and making the time fly by while I'm on there.  I'm streaming a tv show on my kindle that I used to watch with my daughter and shamefully became addicted to.  I missed the first three seasons, which should carry me the first 3 weeks, after that I don't know if I'll stay with that show or go to another (later seasons were not so good, too much fighting). The twisted part is that it is America's Next Top Model, lol.

The squash recipe is so easy. 

2 acorn squash

2 lbs of browned sausage (you will have some left over - I made "perfect sausage" recipe from W30 and doubled the spices in it)

1/2 onion finely diced

3-4 tablespoons of coconut flour (optional)

2 eggs

1/4 cup coconut milk

chopped spinach or kale (optional)

1/4 c melted ghee

1/2 c coconut amino

Preheat oven to 375 degrees, cut squash in half and scoop out seeds.

Combine ghee and coconut amino, brush on top edges of squash

sauté the onion and any other veg you are using (great way to use leftovers) in ghee or compliant oil, add to sausage. 

If you think you'll need a binder (depends on how high you stack the sausage, lol) add in the coconut flour

add the remaining ghee/amino mix, scoop mixture into squash

Beat eggs with coconut milk and carefully pour into sausage mix (slowly, or it will run all over the place)

Set squash into baking pan with a small amount of water in bottom, cover with foil, bake for 45-60 minutes.

It's a very flexible recipe, much like stuffing a pepper.  The eggs can also be left out, but the sausage won't bind into a "lump" as well. :)  I like to use spinach and kale in my peppers but husband doesn't like kale, so I left it out this time and it worked fine anyway.

Got the recipe. Thanks.

--Ceil

Archived