I want to give up

FusaroFTW

I am on day 13 and ready to quit. I started Whole30 to transform the relationship I have with food, and to NOT be dependent on sugar. Prior to Whole30, I ate strict Paleo M-F, and the weekends were binges on everything non-paleo. I am 5'5, ~119lbs and I would say good health. I workout with my Crossfit gym 3x per week.

The past couple of days I have felt awful (tired, extremely grumpy, cravings that are actually painful, antsy and uncomfortable). I just want fruit (honestly, I would love a cookie or top ramen - but fruit would do it). However, as guidance by this forum/Tom, since I have sugar craving issues, I have eliminated fruit all together as of the last few days - and it has been awful. Since I did not have extreme health issues prior to Whole30, I am finding myself starting rationalize and find reasons to quit. Or, to add fruit back into my diet. First week or so, when I was doing Whole30 with 2-3 fruit servings per day (sometimes 1), I was confident, energized and felt fine. I don't believe I had any side effects from the fruit... Expect maybe feeding the sugar dragon? So, should I start adding fruit back in? Is this just me giving into the sugar dragon? What if I always eat it WITH meals versus a snack alone? Thoughts?

I cant believe how hard this has become. I think it is the hardest right now because it is the weekend, and raining. Usually we are very active but the rain has slowed us down. Rain typically has a huge negative impact on my mood as well.

I thought maybe my carbs were too low, but I keep large batch of roasted carrots (paleo carrot fries) and sweet potatoes in my fridge - and eat with every meal. I also eat tons of veggies (zucchini, broccoli, spinach, spaghetti squash, etc). I also eat a lot of protein and healthy fats. I sleep at least 7-9 hours a night, and before Whole30 I was a committed calorie counter (and although I gave that up for WHole30, I know based on my past experience that my calories are more than I ate prior to this).

I am on the verge of giving up. My husband is now on Whole30 Day 1 (for his third time) and is extremely unhappy because of the withdrawls. So needless to say, we are both struggling.

Help!

Don't give up now! You can do it! I can't advise you about your fruit intake, hopefully a moderator will read your post soon and offer some suggestions. I can say that it gets easier. It is a struggle at times and I remember being very grumpy and out of sorts. Try to focus on something unrelated to food that the two of you can do together - if it's still raining go rent a movie or put on some wet weather gear and take a walk. Walking in the rain is fun and it will lift your spirits. I also recommend you sign up for the Whole 30 Daily since your husband is just starting, I found it very helpful.

Good luck!

Stay strong! You and your husband have each other for support. I can't offer a solution to your situation but I'm pulling for your success. I'm on day 15 of my first W30 and it is very tough. I find my support in the W30 forum by reading the ups and downs of others. Best wishes for positive results.

Hey there, I know what you're going through, I've had years of experience with sugar binges. It's not pretty BUT you are NOT alone! Tell yourself, make a deal with yourself that you are going to see this thing through for 17 days. At the end of that time give yourself permission to enjoy a treat, but for now you made a commitment to building a better you and you must honor your self promises. Could you possibly allow some green apple back? It's low sugar and the tart/sweet may be just the trick for your taste buds to be satisfied. Have your green apple with some walnuts. I love to bake a yam for an hour, then sprinkle on nutmeg and Cinamon for a sweet treat, it's very good. Please don't give up, you will feel completely accomplished when you see your mission through!

Please don't give up! You won't regret sticking with it - and it totally is doable! I had the same grumpy patches as you, but have faith that they will pass. Perhaps try some herbal tea - either 'fruity' blends, or liquorice (if you like it) that has quite a sweet taste without any actual sugar. But also, I'd echo what Audrie says - do something to distract yourself from thinking about food. It is so so easy to become a bit obsessed, which can intensify the cravings, but if you force yourself to go outside or occupy your mind doing something more positive, even though you know you're tricking yourself, it still sort of works!

The fact you have someone doing it with you should help rather than hinder - support each other, and encourage each other to keep going, rather than using it as an opportunity to talk endlessly about how much you miss certain foods etc which will only make the process seem more difficult! I'm sure you can both do this together, so good luck.

I am not a moderator and I my experience has been different so read on accordingly. I read the book and I have followed the program as outlined with fruit in moderation (heck I just had a big salad, tuna and a cup of sliced strawberries for lunch). I do allow fruit with my breakfast and lunch - but try to avoid for dinner. This works for me. There are enough rules and rigidity to the program to provide structure.

I should note that I have not had any issues with sugar cravings. Heck, I shopped at our local bakery yesterday for the rest of my family buying cookies, brownies and fresh bead without any issues or cravings. Of course, nothing for me. I eat lots of good fats, good quality protein and W30 compliant carbs. I do try to stick to moderate fruit (1-2 per day) but I am working out 5-9 times per week and I find that works best for me and my body.

I did have passing moments when I was not enjoying my W30 adventure (day 2 was bad for me) and this should be expected. However, I cannot imagine that being tormented and hating my journey every day would be very sustainable for making lifetime choices (or even for 30 days). Fruit is allowed on the program... If avoiding fruit keeps the sugar dragon away, continue this decision... however, if avoiding fruit results in him coming around more often, I would re-think about whether exclusion is really helping you.

Cheers

DJ

Please don't give up - it's worth it! I can especially relate to you right now as I have personally hit my worst cravings ever (on day 21) and within the last 2 days I have wanted to give it all up as well.

I agree with DJ above. If you find that the lack of fruit in your diet is causing the dragon to rear it's ugly head too much then include some fruit as part of your meal. For instance - a nice salad with chicken, walnuts, and mandarins or strawberries. It might take the edge off without giving in. Also - are you getting enough fat in your diet? As I am typing this I am relizing that I personally haven't in the last few days and that could be why the sugar cravings have been so very bad. So don't give up on all this hard work and we can pull through this together.

Carla

Hey guys! I want to thank you SO much for your support and encouragement. I have still stayed on track (now at the half way point). I can't believe I will complete this in the next couple of weeks. I am more hopeful (although, I think a lot of that has to do with the weather (it has been mid 80's and sunny) and work has been keeping me very occupied).

As ya'll mentioned, the busier I stay, the better. I never realized how much I depended on sugar (natural or artificial) until this Whole30.

Keep them coming, because I check in every day and seeing a new encouraging post helps. If nothing else, I want to say that I made it a full 30 days eliminating dairy, grains, added sugars, legumes, artificial sweeteners, DIET DP, chemicals, etc. I think that in itself is a growth opportunity every person should experience, as it takes daily determination.

I still haven't really had fruit... Except plain pumpkin puree heated up with coconut milk (isn't pumpkin a fruit?) and when I was packing grapes for my husband, I ate 3... I am thinking I may add a little fruit back in as part of meals. My understanding is that people who have sugar cravings should avoid fruit because it can cause you to binge and go off track... But, when I was having fruit the first week or so - I was fine with 0-2 small fruit servings per day... never made me want to binge on donuts. However... I am not naive... maybe this is the sugar dragon talking! HA! So, going forward, i am not going to restrict myself from fruit. If I have a little bit - fine. But if I have none, great!

Either way, I am adding more healthy fats to my meals. Thanks again to each of you! I also hope a moderator reads my original post and respond. I am still interested in their thoughts..

Lastly - Any tips on packing lunches for work? I have it down to a habit and it works great, BUT, I end up packing so much food (lots of veggies, leftovers) and now that I use glass - my lunch BAG always weighs so much. I also bring lots of water too. I can't use tin because I microwave. Ideas?

• 1 year later...

What are your reasons for using glass? If the same as me I have just bought BPA free lunch box and water bottle. Can you not fill up water at work? Maybe use a filter bottle if your worried about the quality of the water.

As for the fruit thing, I'm in the same boat. I know I am substituting my bad sugar habits with fruit and am eating too much dried fruit. As a result I am thinking about doing the last 15 days (I'm 15 days in already) fruit free. More of a challenge to myself than anything. I hate how much control sugar has over me.

Any way, keep up the good work! xx

I feel you!  Day 23 and I'm having some cravings.  The thought of giving up has crossed my mind several times, but I am determined that I will make it the whole 30 no matter what!  My daughter was screaming at me for some popcorn last weekend.  LOL  She's 23 and doing it too, along with my husband.  The pumpkin puree and coconut milk sounds really good!  Never thought something like that would....we've really made a lot of changes in our eating and want to continue good, clean eating.  I do have fruit daily so I can't address that.  I am perimeopausal so I have random days I just want some chocolate....only 7 more days to go until reinduction!

Archived