Quest Bars and Shakeology?

350 HRSS

Very new to this whole idea, no pun intended :) As much as I like this idea, and this new challenge, can some of you tell me which protein bars I can have?

I am also seeing I probably won't be able to have my Shakeology or any kind of protein shakes? Can you all tell me more about this?

Thanks!

We prefer that you get your nutrition from real food rather than highly processed drinks & bars.

Epic bars, larabars & RX bars are all compliant, but are for emergency use only.

Your three meals a day, and pre/postWO meals are not emergencies. Floating on an iceberg for 8hrs awaiting rescue having survived the sinking of the Titanic would be an emergency.

We would recommend that you eat three meals a day, made up of 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein, 1-3 cups of veg (with 3 being optimum) and a generous helping of a good fat (say 1/2 an avocado for instance). Eat your first meal within an hour of wakening, build each of your meals to keep you satiated for 4-5hrs, limit consumption of fruit, nuts, nut butters and you'll see great results.

Whole30 is about so much more than eating compliant foods. It's about cchanging our relationship with food, ditching the bad habits, and building better, healthier ones that ultimately positively impact our health.

Regarding shakes, they are discouraged. The idea is to chew your food vs. drink it, as chewing is more satiating. 

Upon quick glance, it looks like Shakeology would not be compliant anyway, as it contains ingredients like whey protein, pea protein, quinoa, stevia, agave and monk fruit (sweeteners), all of which are not allowed on a Whole30.

I would recommend you read the book to see what this program is all about.  This is not just another 30-day challenge of some sort, not a fad, not a diet.

The Whole 30 is about eating real, whole food.  It's about changing your relationship with food.  It's about eating properly to fuel your life, and in a way it's like hitting the "reset" button for many people.

Many people extend it beyond 30 days.  Many people don't, but come back for another and another.  

And many people find that, after eating this way and then going back and forth a few times -- they are really just digging a hole, filling it back in.  Digging a hole, filling it back in.  

Those wise people decide that instead of repeating this ^ mind-numbing cycle, they will instead stand on top of their filled in hole.  They will jump up and down a few times to make sure it is solid.  And then they may start building on top of it.  

What do they build?  Any number of things.  Wonderful things.   :)

------

As a former Shakeology addict, I can speak from experience.  Let it go.  The shakes, the bars, the stuff they try to tell you you need........  Just let it go.  

Whole 30 is about just. eating. real. food.

We prefer that you get your nutrition from real food rather than highly processed drinks & bars.

Epic bars, larabars & RX bars are all compliant, but are for emergency use only.

Your three meals a day, and pre/postWO meals are not emergencies. Floating on an iceberg for 8hrs awaiting rescue having survived the sinking of the Titanic would be an emergency.

We would recommend that you eat three meals a day, made up of 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein, 1-3 cups of veg (with 3 being optimum) and a generous helping of a good fat (say 1/2 an avocado for instance). Eat your first meal within an hour of wakening, build each of your meals to keep you satiated for 4-5hrs, limit consumption of fruit, nuts, nut butters and you'll see great results.

Whole30 is about so much more than eating compliant foods. It's about cchanging our relationship with food, ditching the bad habits, and building better, healthier ones that ultimately positively impact our health.

would it be ok to cut up an Epic Bars into a salad for some extra protein?

I'm going to say no here - unless of course you're in a position where they are the only source of protein available.

Why would you not just use some roast chicken, or a tin of fish, some shredded pork, or some eggs?

Whatever way you look at it it's still a bar, and it's only ever going to be recommended for emergency use, and if you can plan to have bars available for use in your home you can plan to have actual food too.

I'm going to say no here - unless of course you're in a position where they are the only source of protein available.

Why would you not just use some roast chicken, or a tin of fish, some shredded pork, or some eggs?

Whatever way you look at it it's still a bar, and it's only ever going to be recommended for emergency use, and if you can plan to have bars available for use in your home you can plan to have actual food too.

I do have whole meats with my salads, but I was just throwing it out there on adding a different taste/texture.  

• Moderators

I thought you might be kidding until you followed up with your comment on adding taste/texture. Either way, the serious answer is that such a choice would be miles away from okay during a Whole30. 

• 1 year later...
On 10/18/2015 at 10:09 AM, KathyV said:

Actually, YES, this is totally fine for the Whole30, as long as the Epic Bar or Bite is compliant. I have used them as "bacon bit" style texture on salads or in soups, and in a pinch while traveling, have added them to my salad as the only source of protein.

The idea of using these bars as emergency food only is a RECOMMENDATION, not a rule. If you want to crumble a grass-fed, organic, low-sugar Epic Bar as extra protein in your salad, go for it.  -Melissa 

Archived