Do American Health Original Papaya Enzyme chewables violate the Whole 30?

jjanovy

I'm either on Day 11 or Day 4 of my first Whole 30. Can you help me figure out where I stand?

Here's the situation: I started the Whole 30 on Oct. 12. I cracked up on the first, second and fourth day, so I moved the marker forward on the calendar and started again (for the fourth time) on Oct. 16. I recognize my initial mistakes (Vitamin D supplement with sugar; deciding not to pitch two cups of perfectly good homemade marinara because I made it with wine; forgetting to think of corn as a grain, not a vegetable, even in vegetable soup). I have no problem with acknowledging these and digging in again.

But, on Oct 23, I made another error. I took four tablets of American Health Original Papaya Enzyme chewables. The recommended dose is three tablets, but there were only four left in the bottle, so I just downed them all. And then I read the label. Aaaaagh! Sucrose AND cornstarch.

I was bummed, this time. The week had gone so well. But I just sighed and decided to say, okay, I'm starting again. But now I'm wondering: Really? Is that small goof truly a derailment? I mean, the Vitamin D I took the first week was clearly non-compliant - that was a gummy, sugared on the outside. But I'm not sure this case is the same thing.

Is that sucrose on the label added sugar, or a naturally occurring sugar in the papaya? And is the cornstarch present really enough to jeopardize my progress?

You can click through to read the label on the company website from here: http://www.americanhealthus.com/pages/products.aspx?prnt=Products&brand=AH&sku=001130

What do you say, forum members? Am I on Day 11 or on Day 4? Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• Moderators

If they list it in the ingredients, they've added it. Think of something like almond butter, which we get questions about a lot -- you can have a jar of almond butter with no sugar listed in the ingredients, but there's sugar in the almonds themselves, so there's grams of sugar listed in the nutrition facts -- that's naturally occurring sugar, not added, so it's not listed in the ingredients.

As for whether you should start over, read this article and decide for yourself.

Whatever you decide to do, this is a good example of why you should always, always read the labels before you consume anything. It's amazing the stuff that sneaks in where you wouldn't expect it.

Thanks for responding. I appreciate the input. I'm going to rest on the decision for a little while. Really, I may be fussing about nothing. At this point, I'm observing and enjoying such benefits from this that I'm thinking, Wow, let's just do this forever. I know I plan to reintroduce dairy and see how that flies for me, but thatI can wait a few extra days.

Archived