Starting to have constant acid reflux/heartburn

It's not usually par for the course unless you're eating something that's aggravating you.

Are you eating a lot of anything new?

Acid reflux is generally caused by a LACK of acid rather than too much, meaning that the stomach has to work harder to pump what's available. This often causes a backflow... You could try a spoonful of Apple Cider Vinegar after each meal followed by a glass of water. You could also try a digestive enzyme, especially if you're eating considerably more animal protein that you were previously used to.

Hope this helps.

How about black tea and black coffee..drinking those?  I couldn't drink either of those after lunchtime and I've actually quit both. I have a cousin with reflux/esophagus problems.  He is a serious sweet tea drinker- all day long.  He's had surgery and mesh, what a mess. He's still drinking that sweet tea.  

Acid reflux is generally caused by a LACK of acid rather than too much, meaning that the stomach has to work harder to pump what's available. This often causes a backflow... You could try a spoonful of Apple Cider Vinegar after each meal followed by a glass of water.

The caveat with this being -- if you really DO have too much acid, the apple cider vinegar will make things worse, and you may feel like you are going to die.   :blink:

This is the test I read about in my huge nutrition book years ago -- how to tell if you actually have too much or too little stomach acid.

• 2 months later...

I have GERD, I was taking Nexium for it and ran out of them just before starting Whole30 so I decided since acid reflux was on of the symptoms W30 could cure I would try to go with out my Nexium. Well now I am on day 11 and for the last week I have been having reflux again. I am trying to figure out if I should just wait this out and see if it gets better on its own or if I should just start taking my pills again. I stopped taking them also because I had read on some RX info sheets that meds that are used for acid reflux can actually make your body absorb less of the nutrients of our food and vitamins. Any body have some insight on this?

There is an older but VERY thorough book, called No More Heatburn by Sherry A. Rogers, MD. If you can get your hands on a copy, I highly recommend it. She explains in great detail ... ALL about the negative effects of acid blockers. And lots of solutions.

My husband has been able to eliminate his heartburn ~ which was a problem many years ago ~ by avoiding certain foods, and taking a good-quality digestive enzyme. The book was a huge help to us. He was headed toward "needing" an acid blocker, and I was like..... Ummm, no.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to quit the prilosec on about the third day and the reflux and burning tongue came back.  It might be a little too early for you to quit with all the other things that you are changing in your body.  Try tapering down by going every other day and wait a little while.  I had to completely stop eating nuts also, I had upped my nut consumption on Whole 30 and found that I just couldn't eat them, I would try cutting them out. After about two weeks, I was able to stop the prilosec again and have had little reflux for about a month.  I take Glutagenics, which is a powder of licorice root and aloe and it seems to do the trick with some papaya tablets for any reflux that breaks through (on Amazon).  Haven't had to try digestive enzymes but they could also help particularly if you are eating more meat than you used to.

PPI's like Nexium and Prilosec will cause a rebound effect if you have been taking them regularly and stop, cold turkey. Like Kjb said, you should cut back gradually. Try a half dose every other day for awhile (regular dose on the other days), then every other day for a week, then every two days, and so on. Go slowly. If you cut back over time and you continue to eat W30 style, you will hopefully see an improvement, or complete elimination, of your reflux. PPI's also affect calcium and lead to bone loss. Another reason to eat healthy and wean yourself off of those meds.

Archived