Pre workout meal for weight training

Just4me73

I have a passion for weight training and some time ago was very dedicated and made some great muscle gains. I fell off the wagon due to very long work days , although I'm still working those very long hours I want to get started again. But my question is about the pre workout meal .....it is recommended that you don't weight train fasted and I use to have a protein shake cause I really don't like to eat anything before I train. Well now that I can't have the protein shake, I have no idea what I can have ( would really prefer something in liquid form ) I am following the autoimmune protocol so I'm more restricted than the traditional W30, does anyone have any suggestions please ?

Thank you Chris and Tom

Now to decide what I'm going to have.....arghhh Really don't like to eat before hand lol, it actually zaps my energy :(

Are you working out first thing in the morning or later in the day?  If it's the latter, you may be able to get away with just having a post-workout meal.

I'm happy to report that I had a half a chicken breast first thing for my pre-WO and I was shocked that I had good energy levels during my HIIT workout (>45 minutes).  In, fact I was shocked that I felt like working out at all - I am anticipating the day 2-3 "hangover" feeling although maybe it won't be my experience, since everyone is different.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

• 2 months later...

I've been reading several posts regarding the best pre/post-workout food, and I'm clear about the recomendations, but not clear on the "why". Why no fruit pre-or post? Why no carbs pre WO? It would help me to relate this recomedation to all the science presented in "It Starts with Food" - Thanks!

Archived