Banana and Eggs?

Erica Gucc

I don't agree, sorry.

Muffins, cakes and other desserts are not nutritionally sound no matter how you cut it.  If you fill your body up with those things, you're filling it up with sugar alternatives, nuts and other gluten free grains etc... and that is not going to help your body. But you are an individual and if you feel that eating loads SWYPO food is going to serve you well, then power on sister.

yes, i honestly dont see how eating a banana and egg seperate is any better or worse for you than pureeing them together. Actually pureeing them is a good idea for people with damaged intestinal systems. The thing about eating nutritionally dense foods is valid. Eating ONLY SWYPO foods is bad, or replacing entire meals with foods which consist primarily of flour (only nut flours and coconut flours are allowed) is probably a bad idea. But if youre eating a balanced Whole30 breakfast, and then have a muffin on the side, or eat it in the form of a pancake (no flour added if its just bananas and eggs), and there arent sugar alternatives allowed except for honey. Honey is the only sweetner allowed. 

The only thing that SWYPO will do for me is be an add on to breakfast, available as a snack., or for dessert. I'm not going to replace my meals with SWYPO foods, because i believe that you should get all your nutrients and your food should nourish you, etc. But the issue with SWYPO isnt just that its "nutritionally poor". Its because it has no breaks. If I was overweight it would be an issue. But if I get all my nutrion from healthy, whole meals with the right proportions, i dont see an issue with having SWYPO foods in addition to meals. 

If I was over weight or wanting to lose, I would avoid excessive eating. But despite being full enough and satisfied enough to not feel like I *need* swypo foods to fill up on, this diet is sufficient in terms of that, I just dont *enjoy* food the same way anymore. My stew is tasty and ill eat it until its done. But I'd love to have some other stuff too, that will give me "pleasure" without hurting my body.

Erica, FWIW, I agree with you as far as the nutrition aspect of things:  

This morning I decided to make "pancakes" as something fun & new to try for my kids.  Each child ate two eggs and a small banana for breakfast.  The nutrition content is the same, regardless of what form you use to get that food into your body.  We all know that cooking destroys some of the nutrients -- but we have no problem telling people to cook vegetables all day long.  Banana is no different.

Here's the thing.  I did not eat those pancakes, because for me, they are food without brakes.  I've been there, done that, not going back -- no thank you.  My kids have been full and satisfied and gone about their day...  Whereas, I would regret eating so many, eating so fast, and I would crave junk the rest of the day.  Yes, I would.  That's me.

So I think individual context matters -- beyond your 30 days.  We all have to figure these things out on our own, and decide what is worth it.  Just remember, if you reach a point where you are feeling worse, your energy levels plummet, you realize you are eating more junk than you'd "planned"...  That we are all here and gently trying to point you away from the sugar and treats.  Not because we don't want you to enjoy your food -- of course we do -- but because we have all already been there, done that.  We know that there is another way -- and yes, most of us believe it is a better way.  That's why we're here.   :)

As a former paleo baking fan let me tell you ... The swypo stuff pushes the other stuff off your plate. Template meal of protein, fat and veggies with a side of muffin? doesn't happen. You'll just want the muffin. In fact, three muffins. That's where it lets you down nutritionally. It fills you up, leaves no space for the good stuff, makes you crave more and more of it. And yes, it makes you want sex with your pants OFF even more. Swypo was the first thing I reintroduced after my first 2 w30s. Why was I depriving myself of this stuff that isn't even unhealthy?? And I've learnt - because it makes me less healthy. If I'm inclined to bake or make waffles now I will do the paleo stuff, because gluten and rice flour and dairy make me ill, and recipes that call for 250g of refined caster sugar make me cringe. But it's very occasional now. Because I feel better when I eat 3 template meals a day.

But yep, it's a process.

As a former paleo baking fan let me tell you ... The swypo stuff pushes the other stuff off your plate. Template meal of protein, fat and veggies with a side of muffin? doesn't happen. You'll just want the muffin. In fact, three muffins. That's where it lets you down nutritionally. It fills you up, leaves no space for the good stuff, makes you crave more and more of it. And yes, it makes you want sex with your pants OFF even more. Swypo was the first thing I reintroduced after my first 2 w30s. Why was I depriving myself of this stuff that isn't even unhealthy?? And I've learnt - because it makes me less healthy. If I'm inclined to bake or make waffles now I will do the paleo stuff, because gluten and rice flour and dairy make me ill, and recipes that call for 250g of refined caster sugar make me cringe. But it's very occasional now. Because I feel better when I eat 3 template meals a day.

But yep, it's a process.

i think i just miss baking D: Im happy eating this way, but i want to bake something and eat it as an afterthought.

I never was one for muffins with breakfast. I want some cookies as a snack though!

Erica, FWIW, I agree with you as far as the nutrition aspect of things:  

This morning I decided to make "pancakes" as something fun & new to try for my kids.  Each child ate two eggs and a small banana for breakfast.  The nutrition content is the same, regardless of what form you use to get that food into your body.  We all know that cooking destroys some of the nutrients -- but we have no problem telling people to cook vegetables all day long.  Banana is no different.

Here's the thing.  I did not eat those pancakes, because for me, they are food without brakes.  I've been there, done that, not going back -- no thank you.  My kids have been full and satisfied and gone about their day...  Whereas, I would regret eating so many, eating so fast, and I would crave junk the rest of the day.  Yes, I would.  That's me.

So I think individual context matters -- beyond your 30 days.  We all have to figure these things out on our own, and decide what is worth it.  Just remember, if you reach a point where you are feeling worse, your energy levels plummet, you realize you are eating more junk than you'd "planned"...  That we are all here and gently trying to point you away from the sugar and treats.  Not because we don't want you to enjoy your food -- of course we do -- but because we have all already been there, done that.  We know that there is another way -- and yes, most of us believe it is a better way.  That's why we're here.   :)

I agree with you, and I think if I find that I have an issue with it, I'll consider stopping it entirely. But for instance my boyfriend really enjoys when I make him treats, even when they are healthy, is is so greatful. Its fun for us to cook together, but baking is something I like to do, and we enjoy the results together :)

Hi Erica,

I enjoy cooking but I totally 100% love to bake.  I have been baking since the age of 8 or 9.  It relaxes me.  I can be creative.  I'm good at it.  And I love sweet things.  SO yeah baking is my thang.....

But I have finally come to the conclusion after 3 years and 4 whole 30's (working on my 5th right now) that sugar and paleo baked goods and I should part ways..... for my long term health.  Does it mean that I will never bake again for other people?  No I will always do that.  I enjoy doing that.  Does it mean I will eat it?  Maybe, maybe not. it depends.....

I did the banana and eggs thing after my first whole 30 - it was okay - but yeah - it was so totally a pancake and quite honestly I was hungry 2 hours later.  Gave me a sugar high it did.  So in the end not really worth it and did nothing to help me heal my relationship with food.  But honestly - this is something that you might need to experience and get the feedback for yourself....

I enjoy cooking but I totally 100% love to bake.  I have been baking since the age of 8 or 9.  It relaxes me.  I can be creative.  I'm good at it.  And I love sweet things.  SO yeah baking is my thang.....

We must be sisters from a different mister (or however that is supposed to go).  That statement above is 100% me.  When I told my husband I was systematically ridding our kitchen of non-compliant items (I NEVER throw food away unless it's obviously rotten - I'll even take a gamble on the "questionable" stuff - ha!), part of my plan included baking non-compliant ingredients into wonderful confections and giving them away.  I love the process of baking so much that I baked 5 dozen peanut butter chocolate chip cookies on Sunday and took them to church (and the few leftovers to work the next day) without sampling a single drop of batter.  Win-win!  I get to enjoy baking and my colleagues get to enjoy baked treats.  You could say I'm just spreading all that is wrong with the food world, but hey, I can't control what other people choose to put or not put into their mouths.  For many people, those cookies would be just fine.  And if they notice I'm not eating them, it's a great platform to explain about Whole30.

Based on my limited experience so far, the number one thing I miss and might be the first re-introduction would be legumes.  Peanut butter (natural, 100% roasted peanuts and nothing else) and lentils and chickpeas are all on my "miss" list.

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
2 hours ago, ebb09 said:

Are these banana and egg pancakes allowed during your reintroduction?

Interesting question... I don't know that anyone's asked that before on here... on the one hand, when you do re-intros, you're supposed to eat Whole30 between and no pancakes on Whole30... on the other hand, your Whole30 is officially completed on Day 31 and because the recommendation period isn't prescriptive, there are no rules surrounding what you eat after... 

So I'd say go ahead if you think that overall, these pancakes will add value to your life after Whole30.

Archived