Protein ideas for a baby with egg allergy

keightlynn

My 9 month old has an egg allergy. I was so excited when we tried eggs and he LOVED it but sadly he broke out in hives within minutes. As we are introducing solids I'm looking for ideas beyond fruits and veggies to get him solid nutrition. He only has one tooth so I'm nervous to give him meats. Ideas? As we speak I'm making some bone broth which hopefully adds some nutrition.

• Moderators

I don't have kids but couldn't you try ground meats like hamburger? if it's provided to him loose (not in burger form) he doesn't really have to chew it... how about liver pate? That's nutritionally strong and more like meat pudding... 

• Administrators

My 9 month old has an egg allergy. I was so excited when we tried eggs and he LOVED it but sadly he broke out in hives within minutes. As we are introducing solids I'm looking for ideas beyond fruits and veggies to get him solid nutrition. He only has one tooth so I'm nervous to give him meats. Ideas? As we speak I'm making some bone broth which hopefully adds some nutrition.

If you're doing baby-led weaning, give him whatever you are eating.  At his age he should still be getting the bulk of his nutrition from formula/breastmilk so the "foods" are really just to get him used to textures and work on motor skills.  He won't actually "eat" things like meats in appreciable quantities but the more options you give him to practice eating, the better off you'll be down the road.  

Remember that the more purees and soft, smooshy foods you give him, the less he learns about all the different textures of actual foods.  :)

Also milk, soy, and peanuts. We just got the allergy test results so I haven't seen a nutritionist but that is a good idea.

My youngest son had/has multiple food allergies and reacted to everything in my breast milk so we were assigned a nutritionist & allergist before we even started weaning. His only staple was rice, and right up to age 2.5yrs he had 5 foods that he could eat - chicken, apricot, arrowroot, rice & pork. He spent his days chewing on dry rice bread which we cut into 'soldiers', dried apricots & pieces of chicken (slow cooked so it was nice & tender) big enough for him to hold/suck/chew on but not choke. He didn't have pork in the early days.

FWIW my son has grown out of a number of his allergies and eats well now. Egg was and is his worst with instant diarrhea & skin break outs.

Definitely look into getting some guidance - there are so many foods he's likely to react to having already reacted to those you mention, so it's good to talk t someone who can identify the likely problems & steer you away from those.

It was a very long slow process for us, but it did get better.

Good luck!

I have no idea about the allergies, but for non-allergenic protien ideas.

My baby's favourite food ever is a big strip of roast beef, he has been having since before teeth, he just gums/sucks it to get the flavour and juices out. 

We just feed him things we or my older son are eating anyway, and some are softer though.

For example we do chicken livers in a tomato sauce and you can mash the livers into the sauce.

Also, canned fish and spinach in a tomato sauce you can mash it down with your fork. 

I tired pureed meats a few times before going with baby led weaning - salmon and chicken thigh were the most appetizing texture and he seemed to like them the best.

My 2-year old also reacts to egg (FPIES).

For the first 18-months she had a pretty limited food intake; I was scared to introduce a lot of stuff.

Much better now with 4 meats, lots of veggies, fruits and nuts. It gets easier when they have more teeth :)

How about making a purée with a vegetable and meat? Beef and sweet potato?

We bought some re-fillable pouches and I put yogurt etc.

Good luck!

Maybe look at thepaleomom.com for suggestions?  Her AIP website and cookbooks might be helpful.  I think she also offers a nutritional support service.  One thing I remember reading about egg allergy is that sometimes it is the whites that are more of the problem.  And also looking at different kinds of eggs.  And birds that were fed restricted diets.  I'm sure you are more up on this than I am, but also the concept of micro exposures to allergens to help kids outgrow their allergies.

Archived