5-year-old daughter attending a b-day party on Day 7 of W30...

Beth83

My 5-year-old daughter is very, very much looking forward to attending a birthday party for a classmate this weekend, and it will be day 7 of our family's Whole 30. She is on board with not eating whatever they serve (it's from 4-6, and I'm placing my bets on pizza and cake), and she suggested that I bring her some treats, like "applesauce and celery". (Seriously! Lol!)

But I want to make sure to pack us (I'm going with her) a good amount of yummy food that will keep our bellies totally full and able to fight the cravings. It would also be nice if we could take something along with us that was "treat-like" so that she doesn't feel so left out.

Is there anything I can make for her to eat at the party that would be a treat, but still compliant with W30, at least with the ingredients? (I'll avoid SWYPO for myself, but was thinking that a paleo-ified treat would be nice for her that day, if I could think of one with compliant ingredients.)

Thoughts?? Advice??

• Moderators

I recommend eating a big meal before going to the party so that hunger at the party in the face of temptation won't happen. 

I think your daughter is already on track with asking to bring applesauce and celery. You apparently are the one with an issue about SWYPO treats. :) I normally frown on adding nut butter to anything, but almond butter on celery makes a decent snack. 

My 6 year old had the same issue couple months back. I did pack us (myself, husband and son) a little cooler and brought snacks that were whole 30 compliment. I made some chicken salad and cucumber disc for him to enjoy. I packed some plantain chips and sardine dip. Brought some seaweed and coconut water. The one thing that I found that he loved the most was a W30 compliment Lara bar. He was able to have a special treat when all the other kids ate their cupcake. Not going to lie...he was sad when he saw all the goodies the other kids got to eat (pizza, rice Krispy treats, gold fish crackers, juice box, marshmallow, and cupcakes), but since we packed him a variety, he felt like he wasn't too limited in his options. I found that praising him for sticking to it helped him a bit too.

• 2 months later...

This is my "cake" I bring with me to parties so we don't feel left out:

1 ripe banana

1 egg

2 tbsp almond butter

Dash of cinnamon

1tbsp of coconut flour

Put it in the blender or mash with a fork, slop it into a mug, and nuke it for 2 minutes. If you are anti-micro you can probably put it in the oven. You can cut strawberries or put blueberries on top to make it feel more exciting. I gave some to my nieces and they thought it was pretty good, without even knowing it was a weird diet recipe.

This is my "cake" I bring with me to parties so we don't feel left out:

1 ripe banana

1 egg

2 tbsp almond butter

Dash of cinnamon

1tbsp of coconut flour

Put it in the blender or mash with a fork, slop it into a mug, and nuke it for 2 minutes. If you are anti-micro you can probably put it in the oven. You can cut strawberries or put blueberries on top to make it feel more exciting. I gave some to my nieces and they thought it was pretty good, without even knowing it was a weird diet recipe.

This is off-limits on a Whole30. No Paleo treats, sorry.

Is there anything I can make for her to eat at the party that would be a treat, but still compliant with W30, at least with the ingredients? (I'll avoid SWYPO for myself, but was thinking that a paleo-ified treat would be nice for her that day, if I could think of one with compliant ingredients?

It's my first whole30, so I am no expert. But she asked for a treat with compliant ingredients for a 5 year old. Try this recipe yourself when you're finished your 30.. It's good! I made it for my kid's birthday cake, cause you really can't just serve fruit salad for a kid's birthday. Right? That's pushing it!

Is there anything I can make for her to eat at the party that would be a treat, but still compliant with W30, at least with the ingredients? (I'll avoid SWYPO for myself, but was thinking that a paleo-ified treat would be nice for her that day, if I could think of one with compliant ingredients?

It's my first whole30, so I am no expert. But she asked for a treat with compliant ingredients for a 5 year old. Try this recipe yourself when you're finished your 30.. It's good! I made it for my kid's birthday cake, cause you really can't just serve fruit salad for a kid's birthday. Right? That's pushing it!

Some folks choose to be a bit more relaxed about SWYPO with small children on a Whole30.  I thought you were promoting that treat for everyone, which is what I was commenting on - my mistake.

Honestly, I don't see why fruit salad isn't ok to bring to a party. Why can't fruit be a treat? What is it pushing? (Not trying to be difficult - I'm genuinely curious. I've brought fruit salad to parties and no one has looked at me strangely or felt offended. In fact, many of the kids dove in and enjoyed.)

This might sound silly, but a friend of mine finds fruit a big hit with both kids and adults when it's not just your everyday fruit:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=fun+fruit+for+kids&qpvt=fun+fruit+for+kids&qpvt=fun+fruit+for+kids&FORM=IGRE

Most of these presentations would work equally well with non fruits too.

Sometimes presentation is where the celebration is and it's stuff that isn't every day :)

If you do have special cakes for kids parties, there are some really great toothpick things you can get now, like this: https://veganandvegetarianshop.com.au/allergy-riders-i-m-gluten-dairy-free-food-flags-25-pk.html

I remember a kid from my primary school having this beautiful pure white cake (possibly gluten free?) that was covered with coconut and shaped like a white mouse (I think she was allergic to food colouring and chocolate). I remember the mum being really worried the kids wouldn't like it. It was beautiful, we'd never seen anything like it, uncoloured cake seemed very adult to us and there was one or two who weren't fans of coconut but they just ate other stuff (one of them still ate the cake!). I wondered later if she ever knew how many of the kids at their party asked their own mum for a mouse cake for their next birthday, I don't think she ever did. We often put far more pressure on food than kids do.

• Moderators

Since the Whole30 is a little more relaxed for children in regard to SWYPO, a good option for this occasion for your child might be Nom Nom Paleo's Devils on Horseback. It's prunes, stuffed with macadamia nuts that are pureed with a little lemon, salt and water, then wrapped in prosciutto and baked. Drizzle with balsamic (can skip that). Compliant and tasty. You could go simpler and do dates with an almond or other kind of nut inside.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I made a "fruit cake" for my son's first birthday.  I carved the peel off a watermelon and then used a cake pan as a guide to carve a cake shape from the melon.  I found guidance on YouTube for it.  Then I halved strawberries and other berries and arranged them as if over frosting, using toothpicks on the sides (of course removing the toothpicks for the little ones before serving). 

The cake was a hit. I see birthday cake as a ritual, and this filled it so well.  Of course as a guest at a party you're not going to bring a whole separate cake!  But fruit seems always welcome with kids; fruit salad is a nice treat.  

Archived