Lunch ideas...no meat/nuts/sesame

newwhole30er

I would like to start gradually shifting my 3yo over to Whole30 eating. She is already off dairy - the main things I would like to slowly cut out of her diet are gluten and sugar. I would be ok with giving her small amounts of gluten-free grains here and there.

She's been getting lunch at school until now, but I'd like to start sending her lunch so I can control what she gets. Her school does not allow any nuts, sesame, or meat/poultry.

I've already thought of hard-boiled eggs (which she loves) and tuna (but I probably shouldn't send that more than once a week because of mercury, right?). What other packed-lunch/kid-friendly protein ideas do you guys have?

• Moderators

I don't know if she'd like them but frittatas or egg muffins might be an option. They're usually good cold, and you can fill them with whatever veggies she'll eat. You might also check www.nomnompaleo.com and look for her packed lunch ideas -- many are probably meat, but you could get some ideas.

Her school does not allow any protein besides eggs and fish? What does she normally get at school for lunch? Do you know what the reasoning is behind this protein restriction?

Nuts and sesame are out due to allergies, meat and poultry for religious reasons.

The school lunches use dairy, soy, beans or tuna for protein.

Canned salmon if she'll eat that, perhaps prepared similarly to tuna.

It's not Whole30 compliant, but patties or balls made of quinoa or amaranth (like in the style of falafel) are high in protein and fall into that seed/pseudo grain category.

I think the suggestions of cold egg preparations are probably the best, though.

Archived