Help! Resources in the UK

Baby spinach - where do you buy yours? I gave up on Aldi as their's just wasn't 'baby' with thick stalks and large leaves. Now Sainsbury's are going the same way. I want nice little leaves with thin stalks. Any idea where I can get these?

Baby spinach - where do you buy yours? I gave up on Aldi as their's just wasn't 'baby' with thick stalks and large leaves. Now Sainsbury's are going the same way. I want nice little leaves with thin stalks. Any idea where I can get these?

Waitrose still sell baby spinach leaves.

• 2 weeks later...

British problem. I enjoy my tea..that's Yorkshire Tea. With milk. Other milk substitutes are just Wrong in tea.

Hate coffee, dislike fruit teas. They are insipid and overpriced, I'd rather drink water.

So what do other people drink? Oh lemon in black tea is OK once in a while, but will rot the enamel on your teeth if drunk by the gallon as I do my tea.

Ideas, please.

• Like 1

British problem. I enjoy my tea..that's Yorkshire Tea. With milk. Other milk substitutes are just Wrong in tea.

Hate coffee, dislike fruit teas. They are insipid and overpriced, I'd rather drink water.

So what do other people drink? Oh lemon in black tea is OK once in a while, but will rot the enamel on your teeth if drunk by the gallon as I do my tea.

Ideas, please.

I so agree with you. I gave up my Yorkshire gold altogether as I couldn't stand it with almond milk. I never thought it would last but I have actually stopped missing it now. I drink peppermint blends mostly, or plain peppermint. I usually have at least 3 different teas in the cupboard. Pukka do a night time blend which is nice.

• Like 1

Yep. Just drink water.

I actually really like a variety of herbal teas but I haven't really had a milky brew since my first w30 in May 2014. I thought it'd be the first thing I went back to, but it wasn't as good as I remembered. And I feel better when I don't consume dairy.

So yep. Stick with the water.

If you want to investigate herbal tea my current favourites are earl grey rooibos, Taylor's sweet rhubarb, a pukka herbal chai and twinings lime and ginger.

I've substituted Rooibos for tea, can't remember the make, and also got some chai tea bags too, I'll check the make when I'm back as they're compliant.

We get an A&C fruit and veg box, I'm thinking of changing it to just veg, and maybe more, as we've suddenly started using it all up with a few days to go, and having to buy more veg in Sainsbury.  We always used to have leftover veg each week, and never sure what to do with it.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
10 hours ago, jenmidge said:

Is yeast extract okay?

The concern around yeast extract is mainly with the potential for MSG (and you'd be encouraged to find an option without it) but they actually state on the home page that their products are MSG free.

Keeping true to the South African tradition, we add no chemical preservatives or sugar to our great tasting biltong. Using only 100% prime beef and air drying it to perfection, we maximise quality, flavour and nutrients. Our Biltong has no artificial colouring preservatives or curing agents. We’ve ‘Stript’ all that bad stuff right out, leaving it Gluten Free, MSG free and using only natural ingredients. This makes for delicious biltong that is high in protein, low in fat and packed with essential nutrients for growth and repair.

3 minutes ago, lkshanks6 said:

Any one know if cawston press sparkling drinks are in or out

This is made with 70% juice so I'm afraid it would be out as it's more of a sparkling juice than a sparkling water.

Juice is fine for use in cooking, or for adding a dash to liven up some water, but not for drinking straight up like this.

• 4 months later...

I'm in the middle of my first Whole30 and found stock really difficult to find. However, Sainsburys do a compliant Veg stock in their 'free from' aisle (so it isn't chilled). Waitrose also do a compliant chicken stock which is found in the chilled aisle. If you can't be bothered, like me, to make your own, these are great for soups and plenty of other dishes!

• 4 months later...

I'm about to start my first whole 30. I can't find spaghetti squash on any of the supermarket websites, also the sunflower see butter? Are there any good organic food shops that are not too expensive? I live just outside Edinburgh. I also didnt realise how expensive organic and grass fed meat and poultry was! 

Thanks. 

I think that you can be pretty flexible, I live in deepest Cumbria and I suspect my nearest Spaghetti Squash is London!  Butternut is fine as a substitute. If you want fancy buy a spiralizer and make butternut noodle and things like courgetti with it. Quite frankly, life is too short to worry.. I just make cubes and eat them with what ever Im eating. 

Meat is expensive.... I must say that Americans have it easy, with the price of things over there. Here I'm not prepared to spend too much on meat. I but a bit of grass fed on line from Green Pastures... Its not organic but they just dont want to have to pass the prices of an organic certificate on to customers. Its the best meat Ive come across. I "bulk" it out with local butchers meat as you can ask him where it came from. Round here its probably the field behind the house. 

In a city... get to know a local butcher and you'll get better deal than the supermarket. Don't think that it is practical with meat price being £20 a kilo to buy organic grass fed here. Any lamb is grass fed! beef here too if you ask your butcher for  it.

above all don't stress about having the right things in the house... there's always Aberdeen angus, good old fashioned lamb,rope grown mussels, prawns, scallops,cabbage, carrots,neeps and tatties! Why buy from half way round the world when Scotland produces magnificent food of its own?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I'm on day 4 of my first Whole30 - started a different post to see if there were any current Whole30'ers or those who had completed it who could share advice on compliant products and eating out (that's in the Join the Whole30 area).

Wanted to share some amazing compliant smoked salmon I tried this week - it's made by H. Forman & Son and you can buy it in larger Sainsbury's and Waitrose (also online via Ocado).  They also make salmon jerky which is compliant which I can't wait to try.  I should warn you it is pretty expensive, so if you have a Lidl close to you apparently they make one without sugar involved in the process which will probably be a lot cheaper.  

I'd also recommend Sainsbury's new 'next-gen plant-based range' which has butternut squaffles and crinkle cut 'fries' which are a quick and easy side dish.

4 hours ago, CanaryUK said:

"I'd also recommend Sainsbury's new 'next-gen plant-based range' which has butternut squaffles and crinkle cut 'fries' which are a quick and easy side dish."

The squaffles and fries sound like junk made to look/sound healthy, and SWYPO, Just as easy to boil some potatoes. The salmon sound good though.

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Puckertoe said:

The squaffles and fries sound like junk made to look/sound healthy, and SWYPO, Just as easy to boil some potatoes. The salmon sound good though.

No, these are alright, it's just butternut squash cut in a crinkle form. It is literally nothing but butternut squash, raw, ready to roast. These are fine.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Puckertoe said:

As Ladyshanny confirmed, these are purely butternut squash cut into different shapes but saves a few minutes for the prep of a squash, which can be time consuming if you don't have a sharp knife!  Plus, would appeal to kids if you wanted to introduce them to Whole30 or stop having to cook separate sides.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Innocent have released a compliant almond milk - it's just almonds, water and salt. Much easier to grab that in Tescos than having to go to health food shops for your almond milk. They also do coconut and hazelnut milks but these have rice in them so avoid those ones.

Innocent also do a sparkling fruit water range called Bubbles which is the nearest thing to La Croix I think we can get in the UK! They're really delicious and only fruit juice and carbonated spring water. Again I see these readily available in supermarkets.

I noticed that Tescos have started selling Naked Bacon but as someone else pointed out, their own brand of unsmoked bacon is compliant.

Lidl's smoked salmon is compliant (not the fancy flavoured ones, but the 'plain' one) and is much cheaper than other shops; they sell compliant parma ham too.

• 3 months later...

Asda, Sainsburies and Morrison’s (in some villages or cities) carries organic cashew milk. “Plenish” organic cashew milk has just the three ingredients cashews, water and salt.

“Rude Health” also carries organic cashew milk just three ingredients. I usually find this at Waitrose.

”Biomel” has coconut  milk live action culture drinks that are small but tasty. 

This may sound funny as I am an adult, but “Ella’s Kitchen” organic baby food pouches are pretty tasty on the go snacks. I love them.

Aldi carries a brand of date and nut bars. They are called “Raw” and they advertise themselves as Paleo bars. Different nuts for each bar and one has cocoa powder in it.

Aldi also sells bags of raw nuts cheaper than others stores. 

Amazon has Paleo mayo so it has no rapeseed oil (aka canola oil) or sugar and Organic Coconut Amino’s without sugar. Not cheap but we have those resources, too!

Starbucks carries “Ella’s Kitchen” almond butter and date balls they sell at the till. 

• 2 months later...

I live in London, 

Tesco do 97% meat sausages in their finest range that I included after my whole30: 

INGREDIENTS: Pork (97%), Potato Starch, Salt, Water, Dried Herbs, White Pepper, Preservative (Sodium Metabisulphite), Nutmeg.

Filled into natural casings.

Emergency food:

a piece of fruit from Costa/Starbucks/Nero etc, the spinach and egg pots from Pret a Manger. Most supermarkets also have melon, pineapple, etc pre-chopped into small containers near the sandwiches. bags of chopped carrot sticks and salad pots. 

Nakd bars and primal pantry bars.

I keep a small box of almonds in my bag, decanted from the aasani brand they sell in the world food aisle in big tescos. 

I avoid any recipes calling for Applesauce, canned sweet potato, canned pumpkin, tomato sauce or a jar of salsa because these items are virtually impossible to find in the U.K. (Occasionally they have the canned pumpkin in the American food aisle but it's crazy expensive)

Tesco sell Cholula and frank's hot sauce and french's mustard. Coleman's mustard powder is compliant.

I buy big tubs of almond butter/other butters from Bulk Powders online. they also sell coconut oil, coconut flour and chia seeds.

Wholefoodsonline sell big bags of arrowroot powder, tapioca flour, etc for after a whole30. they also sell large bags of pitted dried dates without sunflower oil and bigger bags of pecans, pumpkin seeds, linseeds etc. 

Tesco and Sainsburys now sell butternut squash 'lasagne sheets', waffles, chips etc that are just raw squash cut into shapes. They also sell courgetti and cauliflower rice which is expensive but helps on lazy evenings or if they don't have any fresh courgettes or cauliflower in stock (true story!)