Brewer5: A Fresh Start

Brewer5

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates, ~400 BC

-----------

I wonder daily about so many things.

I was both blessed and cursed with a curiosity about the world that is almost insatiable.  I am always reading, always learning...  And I have the great honor and privilege to have an amazing husband who adores me, and three crazy smart boys along for the ride.

Oh, and let's not forget the dog.  Rocket.  He's just joined the family, and he's already running the show.   :)

IMG_9125.jpeg

------------

On my last thread -- there was a lot of goofiness and some great conversation.  But I also shared the info I was gathering along my journey.

I shared some key points from Grain Brain and Brain Maker, both by Dr. David Perlmutter.  Both excellent books and highly recommended.

And I shared a few things from Raw and Natural Nutrition for Dogs (Lew Olson) as I began to wonder:  Why would I feed my dog the same overly processed, packaged, pretend food that I refuse to feed myself and my family?  I want him to live the longest, happiest, healthiest life possible.  Just like us.

...Well, we talked about many things.  Too many to list.  I had some great folks pop in and share with me, and I appreciate every one of them.  

I don't do facebook or any other social media -- so this is my tiny space to converse with the world.  To speak to others who share some of my same interests.  To be passionate about the things I am learning.

I have just started reading a new book:  Tripping Over the Truth: The Return of the Metabolic Theory of Cancer Illuminates a New and Hopeful Path to a Cure and I am VERY excited about what I am reading so far.  I'll be sharing soon.   :)

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am so excited to hear what new things you learn!  I read vicariously through you :)  (All I get to read are articles on neonatal hypoglycemia, importance of skin to skin contact for newborns, car seats, and caring for new moms and their babies).  

Can't believe how big Rocket is getting!  What happened to that little puppy that had to be carried down the steps?  All that good healthy food is going to make him grow big and strong :)

Karen -- I just realized you may be the perfect person to ask this question.

My next-door neighbors are supposed to adopt a baby at the end of this month. They have JUST met the birth mom who chose them, because she did not know she was pregnant until she was 6-7 months along! :o

Anyway, she told them that doctor after doctor refused to take her because she was so far along. She finally found one (in October) but she will have to travel TWO HOURS from her home to give birth.

Now this sounded really odd to my neighbors (and to me), but the adoption director assured them that this was common. My question is: WHY? My neighbor wanted to know why they are "allowed" to refuse patients who are past a certain point, but my question is more -- why do they WANT to? The doctor who took her on did an ultrasound and said all looks good, so...?

Any thoughts?

Kirkor posted another one on the keto thread -- I believe it was about that same guy! Great story. Powerful.

I will have to read your link when I am back on my laptop instead of my phone. Looks like some good comments going on down at the bottom, too. I see Jack Kruse on there. His book is near the top of my list!

Karen -- I just realized you may be the perfect person to ask this question.

My next-door neighbors are supposed to adopt a baby at the end of this month. They have JUST met the birth mom who chose them, because she did not know she was pregnant until she was 6-7 months along! :o

Anyway, she told them that doctor after doctor refused to take her because she was so far along. She finally found one (in October) but she will have to travel TWO HOURS from her home to give birth.

Now this sounded really odd to my neighbors (and to me), but the adoption director assured them that this was common. My question is: WHY? My neighbor wanted to know why they are "allowed" to refuse patients who are past a certain point, but my question is more -- why do they WANT to? The doctor who took her on did an ultrasound and said all looks good, so...?

Any thoughts?

Private Dr offices are allowed to say "yes" or "no" to caring for someone.  Some offices may just not be taking new patients.  Other offices my be because of the late Prenatal Care.  There are many things to test for during the course of the pregnancy.  I wonder how many of the drs don't take pts who miss these tests due to fear of litigation.  A larger percentage of people who have late PNC (prenatal care) have also been taking drugs, etc - which increases risk to the baby.  Some won't go for care until they have been off their drugs long enough to have negative drug screens.  Not being upfront about "medication" use puts the baby at risk also.  (Not that I am saying is the case here).

ERs and Labor and Delivery units in public hospitals cannot turn patients away.  We have many patients that come frequently for "pain" or "vomiting" or some other reasons - and sometimes the real reason is that they just want a check up and don't have their own doctor.

All around, it's kind of a sad situation.

Karen, I just got to read this entire article AND the comments at the bottom.

If Jack Kruse's book is going to be like his comments......  It may take me several years to finish it.  LOL   But it has been highly recommended to me by a friend, and so -- I will read it.  He has me really curious now.

I had to share this comment which made me laugh, as we all know you can never have too much laughter in life.  Right?

"The stoss dose of Epsom Salts was 8g/day, spread over a 24 hour period. If you took 8g in one go, the world would definitely be falling out of your bottom! :-D"  --Nigel Kinbrum

The world would definitely be falling out of your bottom.  I gotta use that one someday!   :lol: 

“Entertaining, illuminating and—when you recognize yourself in the stories it tells—mortifying.” —Wall Street Journal

Thanks, kirkor!  This looks like a good one.  The title made me laugh out loud.  For real.  :)

I am starting to wonder about an audible membership.  There are certain books I need to hold in my hands, highlight, bookmark, etc.  But one like this ^ I think I could just listen to while I am doing other things.  Do you ever do audiobooks?

http://smile.amazon.com/Timmy-Failure-Stephan-Pastis-ebook/dp/B00AMO0AKE/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1449592862&sr=8-2

And your recommendation this morning led me to discovering this new series for the boys to check out -- thanks again!   :lol:  ^ It has really good reviews and I had never heard of it.

Interesting about the audiobooks.  See, Grain Brain is one I guess I could have listened to first -- but there is SO much good stuff there that I would have HAD to go back through a paper copy with my highlighter.  Fiction I could listen to because there is nothing for me to go back and reference later, you know?  So basically I am the exact opposite of you on this one.  

Anyway -- do you do audible?  I think some sort of audiobooks are included with the Kindle Unlimited subscription I just signed up for -- I will have to check out the details on that.

I find that I can't do other things while listening to audio books. I lose focus on what is being said and in just a couple minutes, I have lost track of the story line, etc. some with TV and Netflix. I will have to rewind a minute or two to see how that character got in that place :)

I have an update about me -- but I know that everyone is more interested in a Rocket update:     :lol:

IMG_8633.jpg

We had a vet appointment today and he got a big thumbs up for looking good & healthy.  No fleas, no tapeworms, no concerns.

He had one vaccination and we went ahead and got his microchip done, so we don't have to worry as much about him Rocketing out the front door accidentally and being gone forever.

The vet said "He's a bit dramatic right now.  It may be a stage."  We thought this was hilarious.  Our little Drama King.   :wub:

So -- a small check-in about me:

As I said on Karen's thread, I am completely cutting out dairy -- even including ghee -- for the first time in probably a few years.  Our family was dairy-free for a long time...  No one here really does great with it, and I don't believe it has any huge health benefits.  It's weaseled its way back in for the sake of variety, convenience, and deliciousness -- and that's about it.  When I really examine this one, I see way more possible negatives than any possible positives.

I've been LCHF consistently for the past 28 days.  I am hesitant to really call it "keto" at this point, because my goal has not been to get the highest ketones possible, as it has been in the past.  I have just worked on feeling good and having consistent energy ~ which means following the "protein+veggie+fat" template most of the time.  I have not had any fruit or starchy veggies.  I eat when I am truly hungry, and I stop when I am satiated.

It's been really, really good.

Some observations:

~ Eating an entire can of green beans raises my FBG the next morning.

~ Pretty sure eating a lot of cheese does this, too.

~ I have not lifted a single weight during this time, yet my muscles look the same.

~ I do not weigh on a consistent basis, but I have lost ~5 pounds in the past month.

~ I am down to a weight and fitting in old pairs of jeans that I have not been able to wear since I quit smoking.

~ I have gotten a lot of things done around the house that have been put off for too long.

~ My energy and mental clarity are consistent and amazing, considering how my sleep has been disrupted due to puppy.

~ My mood has been great and not on an up and down roller coaster, at all.  I feel really steady.

~ The moments of brain fog I was experiencing now look really scary to me!

~ All seven of the "symptoms" I made notes of on 11/16 are either greatly improved, or completely GONE.

The numbers don't mean as much to me this time around -- I am really just using them as an observational tool to help me figure some things out.  The Ketonix, especially...  It's been green this entire time, and I'm just like:  Whatever.  The fasting blood glucose does matter to me, but I understand more now about physiological insulin resistance, and I also understand that this number can be affected by many things -- not just our food choices.

But here are the numbers, because I have them:

FBG ranging from 81-109, with an average of 94.  Ketones ranging from 1-8 green, with an average of 5 green.   :lol:  

For comparison, on my Keto Whole 30 last January:

FBG ranging from 83-99, with an average of 89.  Ketones ranging from 5 green - 8 yellow, with an average of 10 green.

---------

So I am not making any big public announcements about my goals -- just like I have decided that I am probably not doing any more Whole 30's.  I need my goals to be my own and I need to be accountable to myself.  It's taken me awhile to get here, but I like it.  It's actually very empowering and not scary at all to be in the driver's seat -- when you are making good choices.

But I am reporting today because I starting a new section on my spreadsheet to see what my numbers look like without ANY dairy involved.  Time will tell if it makes a difference or not, but I suspect that I will see a change.  Today, already, I saw my lowest FBG ever: 78.

I have been meaning to post this for a couple of days now.  I am slowly getting to read this book on the Kindle app on my tiny phone, and I bookmarked this page because I found it so interesting.  I'd never heard of this before!

..."Cancer cells could wildly undulate from a state of dedifferentiation and back, which explained why some tumors contained multiple tissue types.  Teeth and hair follicles had even been found inside tumors."

Say what?!   :blink:

Then -- this is SO WEIRD.  I am messaging back and forth (about this stupid cyst) with another nurse friend tonight, and she says:

"Cysts are tricky, they can be fat, they can be puss, they can be teeth and hair LOL."

:o 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Goes back to HS bio... every cell in your body has the same genes.  The genes that code for hair are turned "on" in the cells that are involved with hair, the genes for teeth are turned on in the cells that are involved with teeth, etc.  As long as cancer cells have the genes for teeth/hair/etc, if those genes get turned on - hair and teeth grow!

I was both blessed and cursed with a curiosity about the world that is almost insatiable.

Goes back to HS bio...

You're talking 20+ years ago for me......   :ph34r:

And I had insatiable curiosity about things in life -- but high school Biology was not at the top of the list!   :lol:

kirkor, thanks.  Maybe it's my twin in there.

LOL

...To be clear, it is just marble-size or so, when it flares up.  And it does go away completely sometimes.  That is what I am trying to pinpoint.

So I don't think it's anything scary, actually...  But now you are family!   :lol:

Archived