Brewer5: A Fresh Start

Brewer5

So what does a daily day of eating look like for you now?  I can't imagine cutting carbs and dairy... 

Well, you could look back at my Keto Whole 30 log from January to see how I did it then:

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/23800-brewer5-keto-whole-30/?hl=brewer5

But it does look different now -- because I am not on a Whole 30, and of course our eating habits change over time as we learn new things.  I relied a lot on coconut manna and sunflower seeds, which I haven't been eating lately at all.  I also ate a lot of ghee, which I am now removing.

I will share today with you later.  :)

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

You never really mentioned portions except for the eggs.  Unless you were eating giant bowls of meat... it seems like you didn't eat much :/ ?

I'm doing 531 now.  Just started cycle 2!  Are you still doing that?  Did you see much improvement?

You never really mentioned portions except for the eggs.  Unless you were eating giant bowls of meat... it seems like you didn't eat much :/ ?

I'm doing 531 now.  Just started cycle 2!  Are you still doing that?  Did you see much improvement?

I'm not sure that the volume of food is actually all that important...  I followed the template suggestions and ate to satiety.  This is different for each of us.   I don't know about "giant bowls of meat" -- but I didn't restrict myself, and I always go back for seconds if I want them.  You gotta picture LOTS of fat, too.  The #1 mistake people make when trying to go low-carb is not eating enough fat.  

I did reach a point around that time of the month where I realized I needed more food -- not carbs, necessarily, although of course the brain will try to take you there.  I just. need. more. food. around that time.  Greater quantities in general, of everything.

5/3/1 worked for last winter -- but I got bored with that pretty quickly.  I started Strong Curves advanced program (Bret Contreras) and have been in love with that ever since.  I've done multiple rounds.  But right now I am on a puppy hiatus.   :)  Just walking, and getting big projects done around the house.  I love lifting -- but this is the first big break I've had, and it's actually been really nice.

Ok, littleg, since I know you love pictures and you are wondering about my quantities -- here you go.   :)

Generally while I am chatting on here in the morning, I am standing in the kitchen working on my breakfast and the kids'.  

And sipping on 16 oz of coffee with a tablespoon of collagen.  I have learned over my many years of mistakes, that having too much coffee BEFORE breakfast is not the way to do things.

IMG_0072.jpeg

This skillet started out with the scientific measurement -- a "crap-ton" -- of coconut oil.  But it melted before I could get a picture.  There was at least a tablespoon, and maybe closer to two.  It's hiding under my big handful of kale, which is hiding under my big handful of spinach.

IMG_6516.jpeg

Now you can see how much those greens cook down -- as we all know.  And you can see their glistening coconut oil -- which, yes, I do scrape every drop of out of the pan... and I've even been known to lick a plate or bowl.   :ph34r:   That fat is not escaping me!

This is 2.5 ounces of tuna, one whole egg, and two egg yolks -- because I am upping the fat, and -- I just freakin love egg yolks!  Sometimes I will include 2 brazil nuts for selenium -- but my middle child has eaten all of them.  Plus I think they give me major BLOAT, but I am still testing that theory.

IMG_9713.jpeg

Final product -- along with the big spoonful of Trader Joe's sauerkraut I am trying to eat with every meal, after reading Brain Maker.

IMG_0109.jpeg

It's noon and I have just finished M1 while typing this.  I will report back later.  :)

..."Cancer cells could wildly undulate from a state of dedifferentiation and back, which explained why some tumors contained multiple tissue types.  Teeth and hair follicles had even been found inside tumors."

Say what?!   :blink:

Whaaaaa?  That's kind of scary - how do these things get there?

You are the best!  Thanks :)  Is the Brain Maker/sauerkraut connection probiotics?  I almost bought that tub of 'kraut the last time I was at TJ's but it was $4.  I could make a pot of my own for that price... I forgot that was on my to-do list "make sauerkraut".  Maybe I'll go do that now!  

Whaaaaa?  That's kind of scary - how do these things get there?

I'm gonna leave that one up to littleg -- who apparently paid attention in high school Biology!  I don't completely understand it, myself.

I am still trying to get through just the beginning of this book.  I have to go back and read things over sometimes, plus it's one of those books that is super interesting, but also really good at putting me to sleep.   :ph34r:

You are the best!  Thanks :)  Is the Brain Maker/sauerkraut connection probiotics?  I almost bought that tub of 'kraut the last time I was at TJ's but it was $4.  I could make a pot of my own for that price... I forgot that was on my to-do list "make sauerkraut".  Maybe I'll go do that now!  

Yes, he is big on probiotics, prebiotics...  So much good stuff and a lot more detail in that book.  I have not ventured into fermenting anything myself yet.  But buying this sauerkraut at TJ's was easy!  And it's GOOD.  I bought another kind at our local grocery, and it is just not the same.

Is a cyst similar to a zit?

Well, this one is.  But there is NO popping it.  It's like, you wanna pop it, but -- it's just not happening!  

This is why I started talking to Carla about her condition (I've seen her talk about on the forums).  She has a long name for it.   Cysts, in the hairline, aggravated by pork and dairy.  

Edited to say:  This dude was really flared up and angry a few days ago.  It has actually gone down quite a bit -- and I hope to be able to post an "after" picture once it finally goes away again!

Ouch!!!  I feel for you - stupid, uncomfortable, bleepin' cyst / boils.

Easier name for it is Acne Inversa - I've heard the condition being called both - the long-unpronounceable-name

I wish I could tell you that you could put something on it - but unfortunately it's just time that heals this one.  You just don't want them to be any bigger.

image_13.jpg

Out the door for classes tonight, so I packed this:

2 soft-boiled eggs with homemade mayo (MCT/olive/avocado)

Almond- stuffed olives

Sauerkraut

16 oz coffee

I guess you would call this a mini-meal.

My youngest son wanted me to save him one of the egg halves for after his class. I ate the rest of this on our break between 5:00-5:30. littleg, I was thinking of you because you told me it didn't look like I ate much -- and I was thinking about that as I was eating this food. Because, I just gotta say, one of the great benefits of eating this way is that food really does become fuel for me. I am not thinking about it all the time, dreaming of things, looking at restaurants wistfully.... That really does just disappear. Like flipping a switch.

I ate because I had this with me, I had a break, and I knew it was about time. But the reality is that I also could have waited until classes were over, we had gone to the store, and I had fixed supper at home. Yes... I could have eaten today at noon & at 9pm -- without freaking out or getting funky in any way. It is such a noticeable difference -- and I never feel out of control like I have in the past. I am completely in the driver's seat, and I love it.

Wow... I wish I could be like that.  I do feel like big breakfasts are helping get me *closer* to that kind of food vs fuel mentality but I've got a ways to go :)

I did make ginger sauerkraut because of you today though!  And hubs did buy me the one from TJ since mine will take... oh 5 weeks to be ready ;) 

Thanks again for the pics!  Its like walking around downtown when its dark - peering into everyone's windows... or should I not say that out loud :/  Honest I'm looking at decorating ideas!

Yes, he is big on probiotics, prebiotics...  So much good stuff and a lot more detail in that book.  I have not ventured into fermenting anything myself yet.  But buying this sauerkraut at TJ's was easy!  And it's GOOD.  I bought another kind at our local grocery, and it is just not the same.

So I googled this earlier today and he is very against potatoes.  Mark Sisson has had numerous posts about the benefits of resistant starch in cooked/then cooled potatoes.  Just wondering if he talked about that at all - from what I remember from Mark's posts the prebiotic amount is quite high in cooked/cooled potatoes.  

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-definitive-guide-to-resistant-starch/#axzz3ts8ru69R

http://freetheanimal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Resistant-Starch-in-Foods.pdf

So I googled this earlier today and he is very against potatoes.  Mark Sisson has had numerous posts about the benefits of resistant starch in cooked/then cooled potatoes.  Just wondering if he talked about that at all - from what I remember from Mark's posts the prebiotic amount is quite high in cooked/cooled potatoes.  

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-definitive-guide-to-resistant-starch/#axzz3ts8ru69R

http://freetheanimal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Resistant-Starch-in-Foods.pdf

No, Dr. Perlmutter would not be a fan of potatoes for any reason -- because he is in favor of a ketogenic diet.  He gave a big list of other prebiotic sources -- but cooked/then cooled potatoes was not one of them.

I did read through Mark's article, and it's interesting.  I used to spend some time on his site years ago, and even got in on one of the Potato threads (where they eat nothing but potatoes!)   :lol:   So I've heard all about the resistant starch... cooking, cooling, etc.

I'm not saying there is no benefit there, or whether anyone should be consuming it -- I am just saying that it was not in either of Dr. Perlmutter's books.

It cracks-me-up/makes-me-sad how much greens wilt under cooking.  For fun one of these days I want to take like a garbage bag of spinach and see how small of a compressed package I can make out of it.

I mean, seriously.

This was an entire 5-oz. container of organic Asian mix:

IMG_7742.jpeg

Cooked down:

IMG_9293.jpeg

And final product:

IMG_3862.jpeg

ALL of those greens

2 chicken thighs

a crap-ton of coconut oil

coconut aminos & garlic salt

And last but not least --

When I finally get the kids to bed, and the puppy to bed, and I get to actually sit down:

2 squares of 90% Lindt dark chocolate

1 oz. of roasted salted macadamia nuts

...ground up together in my nut chopper.  Ahhhhh.

IMG_9259.jpeg

-----------

So, littleg, there you have it.   :)

We don't actually have a "typical" day here -- life is pretty crazy and all over the place.  But I would say that what you saw today is pretty much my regular eating pattern.

Speaking of dark chocolate -- does anyone have a favorite super dark brand?  I've been at 90% for awhile ~ and I'd love to move up to 95-99% range, and cut it down to one square.  

I've looked on Vitacost and I don't see anything over 80% range?   :huh:

They do have Lindt 99% on Amazon, but it is so much more expensive!

...I am not having much luck on Thrive, either.  Maybe I should just give it up.   :unsure:

Archived