Brewer5: A Fresh Start

Brewer5

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We considered doing it when we were in California but our bikes are pretty wide and it felt way too risky.

Ya, it can be tricky.  The phrase the motorcycle safety program uses is, "If you can't fit, don't split."

Oh, do it!!!!!!  Did/do you ride your own?

No, I just rode along. ;)

It got to the point where my husband just never had time to ride anymore at all... So he sold it. Too bad because it was the 100th anniversary edition... Pretty sweet.

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone knows this is my favorite link ever, and I promised I would continue to randomly throw it out here for all to see.  She does such a great job of summing things up in just 18 minutes of your life:

I also wanted to share this link I got from kirkor today (thank you, sir).   :)  She goes into even more detail, for those who want or need it.  This one is 46 minutes.  Have a listen!

http://fitteru.us/2015/09/resolving-or-preventing-type-2-diabetes/

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Oh wow, that's awesome!

I was just thinking about how awesome it is to make friendships through a journey like this and then hopefully be able to meet people... one day I hope to meet my friend Laurie from Florida (but we're about as far away from eachother on the same continent as two people can be).

I was thinking about you yesterday hoping things were going well!

I know I have not been around much, but if you know how to get ahold of me ~ I am happy to hear from you anytime! ;) I think of you all often, as well. Some good friendships made here, for sure.

Karen went out of her way to visit me today, and for that I am forever thankful. I said long ago that this day would come, and we would have to post pics! Grateful for this forum where we have gotten to know each other over the years.

Hahaha.... I do have a pic from the restaurant. I will have to post it later from my computer. The good news: You will see vegetables. Lots and lots of vegetables. The bad news: I brought them home with me, because I wasn't sure my stomach could handle them today! :D

• 8 months later...

Hi everyone! Reviving this old thread to say....I DID IT!!!

This was the first place I really heard of keto, earlier in this thread I asked lots of questions about maybe starting keto, I can't remember if I did or didn't at that time but if I did I don't think it lasted very long.

I just finished a Whole30 with NO fruit, potatoes or any other starchy veg. I also excluded nuts because those are real FWOB for me. I thought it would be torture. It kind of was at the beginning. BUT. I really do feel amazing now. I've discovered that I actually LOVE cabbage and broccoli. I like cauliflower and zucchini and cucumbers. I even figured out how to eat kale without gagging!

For the first time in my life I am eating 3 square meals a day and feeling full in between. I get home from work and I can deal with my kids, finish up dinner, without diving into a bag of potato chips. I can WAIT to eat. And I'm fine. 

I am not sure if and in what way I'll add more carbs back in to my life eventually, but I've decided that until I lose the weight I want to lose, I'm sticking to this way of eating.

So thanks for the inspiration!

Also, question - how do you all feel about avocados? I thought they were considered a fat but when I recently looked up the carbs they are pretty carby - a whole avocado is almost 20g of carbs which is the limit I'm trying to stay under for the whole day.

Avocado are high in carbs but also high in fiber, so many keto people say they're a-ok since due to the net carb math. Now that you're not on Whole30 you could try tracking carb grams and see where your personal upper limit for ketosis is, and then see how avocados fit in there.

On 3/1/2017 at 11:49 PM, newwhole30er said:

For the first time in my life I am eating 3 square meals a day and feeling full in between. I get home from work and I can deal with my kids, finish up dinner, without diving into a bag of potato chips. I can WAIT to eat. And I'm fine. 

WOW.  :blink:

I'm not sure what led me back to this forum lately.  I haven't been around since they changed the format.  I was here on March 3 for the first time in forever, and I poked around a little.  Had no clue you had posted on this thread!

Tonight (super tired and just vegging, honestly) ~ I sat down and started skimming through the 37 pages here, reminiscing a little and laughing about the funny stuff we've posted.  Hovering over avatars to see who is still around, who has been gone for awhile, etc...

I get to the very, very end and see:  WHAT?  There is a new post!  Wait, two new posts!

newwhole30er (give me a name, make one up like Sally if you want to ~ or I will just start calling you Sally, haha):  THANK YOU for coming back to share your story.  I am so, so happy for you!  Seriously.  I poured a lot of time into this forum and this thread...  Time which maybe "should" have been directed somewhere else.  But it was part of my journey.  It makes me so happy to know that I've been a part of your journey, too.  :wub:

Brewer5, thanks for responding! 

So - question. In the last week and a half, my weight has gone UP 2 lbs. I was planning to weigh myself just once a week now that I'm not on Whole30, usually on Sunday, but when I saw it went up on Sunday I weighed myself every morning through today to make sure it wasn't just a fluke and...same. What's going on?! At this point I've been strictly low-carb for about 6 weeks, I don't do any tests or anything on a regular basis but I did get a routine urinalysis a few weeks in and it showed "very large ketones" which I assume is what I want? Anyway since then I have no reason to believe that I've gone out of ketosis, I'm still eating the same way. 

I'm trying to exercise, I do T-Tapp for 15 minutes, usually 3-4 days a week. I really really doubt that this is muscle though!

I definitely aim to drink half my weight in oz every day and do get there almost every day I think.

Do I need to eat more carbs? Less carbs? More fat? Less fat? Again I'm not tracking calories or anything but here's an idea of what I eat:

Breakfast - always 3 egg omelet fried in avocado oil (1 tbsp-ish?) with 1 medium avocado, black coffee with a splash of almond milk

Lunch - Sometimes leftovers from dinner (see typical dinners below...), otherwise usually it's a can of tuna (7 oz. I think?) with a spoonful or two of mayo & some mustard, 1 cucumber, large handful or two of cherry tomatoes, 1-2 pickles.

Dinner - My veg is usually roasted cauliflower/broccoli or salad (kale/cabbage/romaine/spinach) - I don't measure, but I feel like I'm pretty generous with the oil and/or dressing - I don't know if that's a good or bad thing! I try to do a palm-sized portion of protein which is usually either chicken breast or ground beef. Sometimes 2 hot dogs.

I really don't snack. I do sometimes eat part of my lunch at 12:30ish and the rest at 2ish (I'm a teacher and sometimes don't have time to finish since I eat lunch with my class...) But otherwise it's 3 meals a day, spaced apart about 4 hours, and I don't eat at night after dinner.

What do you think? Is there anything I should be doing differently?

Oh one other thing I just thought of - I've been terrible with going to sleep on time lately - went to bed really late almost every night for the last 2 weeks. But that couldn't be it, could it?!

Lack of sleep leads to weight gain because it increases your stress hormones ~ specifically, cortisol ~ which most certainly triggers storage of fat.  

I hope you have the book.  Please go read pages 51-53, all about cortisol.  It's a good reminder.

Some things I have highlighted:

"Chronically elevated cortisol promotes insulin resistance and tends to elevate leptin levels."

"Because chronically elevated cortisol sends a variety of messages via different hormonal pathways, all designed to do one thing -- preserve body fat."

"Chronically elevated cortisol levels increase blood sugar levels, which may contribute to insulin resistance."

"Elevated cortisol levels preferentially direct body fat to the abdominal region..."

But seriously -- lots of good info in those few pages.  Remember, It Starts With Food.  If you have a good thing going, and suddenly things are different:  It really pays to sit back and evaluate what has changed?

Thanks, Brewer5 - that's very interesting. OK - will give it a try this week!

Other than that, I can't think of anything different over the past week or two.... Also, I wonder if it's my scale. This morning I weighed myself before breakfast and it was 186.4 (where it's been without budging for the last two weeks on several different weigh-ins), and then I weighed again AFTER breakfast and it was 184 something. ??!!??!!

I would encourage you to put your scale away for  at least another week, listen to your body, eat to satiety. Get more rest, drink lots of water, also remember you may be eating more foods with sodium since you stopped your whole 30? I don't know, but that can definitely mess with your scale and your mind.

Thanks. I'm still eating Whole30 except for allowing condiments/spices with 1g of sugar or less (sriracha, etc.) 

The last 2 nights I woke up with leg cramps! Apparently this means low potassium and it's common on low-carb? Should I take a potassium supplement? I do already eat an avocado every day and those are supposed to be high in potassium....

Also - is kombucha okay? 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Hi Brewer ;)   The Master is 12 weeks old today.  And in honor of that he slept for 7 HOURS last night.  And has now been fighting every.single.nap today... but, hey, you win some you lose some :) 

Hey, littleg!   Good to hear from you.  And new ~ how are you doing now?

I'm sorry I have not been back here to post.   As some of my friends know,  I am back in college pursuing a second degree.   I had a huge exam yesterday I've been studying for, to try to get into the nursing program. So glad to be done with that now ~ and I scored in the 99th percentile!   So things are looking good. :)  So relieved!

Re: kombucha.  I am not an expert.  I'd go with the advice of others on that one.  I know it's supposed to be good for your gut -- maybe "go with your gut" on that one!   Haha.  

litteg, I was thinking of you yesterday.   So glad to hear things going well!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

99% on the TEAS?  Yeah!  That would get you right in around here - hope its the same out near you!  Do you think  you are going to work with the little babies like your friends on here ;) ?

Well, littleg, you told me I HAVE to work with the little babies, right?   :)

I honestly have no idea.  My aunt, who has been an RN for ~40 years, says:  "Really pay attention to what you enjoy in your clinicals.  That's how you'll know."

Just so you're not giving me TOO much credit -- my overall score was a 92, which is in the 99th percentile.  But yes, unless something very strange happens, I should have no problem getting into the program with that score.   So relieved.  

Archived