new ideas for breakfast

pistolabella

I'm gearing up for my first  Whole 30 and experimenting with some paleo meals and make-aheads this month to see what works for me & my schedule. I love cooking and that aspect is in no way a turn-off for me. However, I recently joined a gym in my office building and without a doubt, going early in the morning before work is the schedule I have the most success with and feel best about. However, this deprives me of one of my favorite things - making a good breakfast each morning. As much as I love breakfast, I am really bad about skipping it if I don't have time to eat something good. 

My office has a kitchen and I'm interested in some make-ahead breakfast ideas that won't be just totally gross reheated. That said, nothing offensive-smelling to any of my officemates who are noshing on kind bars or poptarts. I love a savory breakfast, and have been curious about the egg & meat muffins / mini quiches. Does anyone have any tips or specific recipes that are tried-and-true in this kind of situation? how long do they last in the fridge? Are they decent when microwaved? And, what other make-ahead savory breakfast ideas do you have for things I can pop in my work fridge for a few days' breakfasts at a time? I appreciate the tips! Note - I will typically be eating dinner leftovers on my lunch salads so ideas mutually exclusive from those leftovers are appreciated!

• Whole30 Certified Coach

My husband and I make a breakfast "bake" each week.  Usually it is: browned breakfast sausage (our local coop has pastured pork sausage with no added sugar  - but we've also made our own from ground pork or turkey), onions, spinach, peppers and sweet potato + 8-12 eggs.  I've added all sorts of frozen veggies to it - broccoli, green beans... always comes out ok.  

We get 4 servings out of it.

22392562873_f282f55bf5_n.jpg

I actually like to eat it cold... :)

For a while I ate these every day...

http://summerinnanen.com/turkey-blueberry-breakfast-muffins

I skip the coconut flour and coconut milk and used dried spices, I think sometimes I don't even bother with the egg.  They are surprisingly good.  Though you will get made fun of for eating "meat muffins"... just a warning.

Frittatas have been a life-saver for me on my Whole30 (Day 30!) as I can wrap up servings and just grab a portion for breakfast either at home or after I get to school (professor). I fill them with delicious vegetables and also have made them with a compliant turkey "bacon" I found at Whole Foods.

I'm also a fan of hard boiled eggs, and combining those with home made mayonnaise is another breakfast treat I've enjoyed. 

I also baked salmon filets in quantity (with a homemade mayo dill topping) and often ate salmon for breakfast.

Many of my breakfasts have been leftovers from dinner. I have no problem eating leftovers at two--or more--meals! A ground beef patty (with compliant mustard and catsup) and beef hotdogs (from Trader Joe's) are two of my favorites. I personally love eating mustard and/or olives at breakfast . . . .

• 2 weeks later...

I make something similar to littleg's bake.  DH calls it "Egg Pie" and eats it nearly every day. My method makes 8 large servings.

I start with about a pound of ground meat and brown it in a large skillet. I add to it: about 1/2 of a medium onion, diced; about a cup or so of diced bell peppers of assorted colors, several mushrooms, sliced, a few handfuls of kale or other greens, chopped, and a small potato or sweet potato, shredded.

Depending on ingredients, I season the whole mess with a spice blend. My favorites are Mexican, Italian, and breakfast sausage blends. Don't be shy with the spices--this is 8 servings.

I let it cook until the vegetables are tender (DH's preference), then add about a 1/2 cup of salsa or marinara sauce. I don't know what the tomatoes add, but I like the result better with them.

Then I pour it into a 9x13" baking dish (greased) and top with 16-18 eggs, whisked. This is where an immersion blender comes in handy. Cover the dish with foil and bake at 325°F for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15 minutes. If the center if still a little soft, I  cover it with foil and let stand at room termperature for a few minutes. This is better than overbaking.

When thoroughly cooled, I cut it into 8 servings, wrap them in cling film and refrigerate. I like it cold, but my favorite way is in the photo: On a bed of greens and topped with salsa and avocado.

post-3237-0-66879100-1423088915_thumb.jp

I like the egg muffins both warm and cold, but if cold, I only like them with the egg/yolk beaten together (I find the cold white too rubbery).

I love salmon patties with a lemony mayo too (I prefer these with sliced green onions/spring onions), great both hot and cold:

http://www.ladyhomemade.com/2012/11/14/quick-salmon-patties-and-whole30-week-two/

You can make both protein and veggie "muffins" (really, just stuff cooked in a muffin pan and portable).

If you prefer cold, I quite like gingery stirfries cold :)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with all the egg bake/egg pies/frittatas.. 

This week I sauteed onion, mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini and spinach and scrambled it with 12 eggs and serve it over sauteed finely chopped sweet potatoes. I leave the eggs a little more runny than I would like so that when I microwave it at work it comes out perfect and not dried out.

I've also gone through phases of eating veggie heavy chili or soups for breakfast too since these are very easy to pack and reheat once at work. 

I also like to get to the gym early, and it is not easy to make sure breakfast happens. I bought one of those clamshell heavy plastic things for making omelettes in the microwave, and it is fantastic. I chop up some veggies (kale is my usual fave, but anything works) with a bit of olive oil, herbs, whatever tastes you like and microwave them in the clamshell first. Then beat up the eggs, throw them in with the veggies, and microwave it again for 2-3 minutes, and instant breakfast. If you're extra hungry, use more substantial veggies.

• 3 weeks later...

We eat a lot of boiled eggs for breakfast because they take little to no prep on a busy morning. Sometimes I will also make half of the dozen into deviled eggs for a change of pace. We usually cook all dozen on Sunday night.

With that we will eat half an avocado or a sweet potato/Apple bake. (Literally sweet potatoes, apples, ghee, and cinnamon.)

I made a big batch of egg muffins with pork sausage that I made and sauteed onions and peppers.  I froze the muffins and the defrosted/microwaved 2 this morning.  I got through the first and gagged on the second.  Long story short - is it better to refrigerate?  How do you re-heat?  I really don't like cold eggs.

• Moderators

I made a big batch of egg muffins with pork sausage that I made and sauteed onions and peppers.  I froze the muffins and the defrosted/microwaved 2 this morning.  I got through the first and gagged on the second.  Long story short - is it better to refrigerate?  How do you re-heat?  I really don't like cold eggs.

If you're going to eat them in the next few days, refrigerating is fine. Even if you make enough you need to freeze some, they'll reheat faster if you put a serving in the fridge the night before so they're thawed the next morning.

I prefer to reheat most things in the oven or toaster oven. I wrap them in foil first and put them in to heat up, then go get dressed or check email or whatever while they're heating. You can also reheat in a skillet, but that requires you to keep a closer eye on them.

If the microwave is unavoidable, you might try wrapping them in a damp paper towel so they sort of steam, for some items that helps with that microwave texture.

And if you can't find a way to reheat that you like, you could opt for meatballs or something like these meat and spinach muffins in the future. 

Archived