Join A 2016 Whole9 Challenge!

LucieB

Personal goals

I am going to trek to Everest base camp in Nov 2016 for charity – I want to be physically and emotionally fit and strong. I have always loved mountains, walking and nature but I have put so much of me on hold to look after everyone else. Before I was “tied down” I always tried to challenge and stretch myself. Once I was “tied down” there seemed to be no opportunity to “live” it seemed all about just existing.

That sounds like an amazing goal and a great adventure!  Wow!

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to play too! I'm actually going to start my whole30 tomorrow since I have no big plans for New Years and also will be going on vacation later in January.

But I love the idea of having a different focus each month and making a lifestyle out of it.

I am going to join in as well. I am preparing house and mind for a Jan. 1 start; am staying Whole30-ish between now and then to allow for birthday & new year's dinners without stressing over minor amounts of whatever in the food.

Looking forward to a year of focus areas; I have not had great success in the past with long-timeframe commitments for myself, with things like health goals and creative endeavors. But, I have been increasing my success in this area over the past year. I want to see what learnings and growth a Whole9 will bring to my life. looking forward to doing this with y'all!

About me. 

empty nester, two cats in residence along with partner mike. AKA Grandma. 

Last year I left my job-self inflicted sabbatical and I have been writitng and doing art all year. I need to get clear on what my next career will be. 

Finished a whole thirty last year in September which I actually started in July but I had a couple of planned departure. 

Since september I have gone completely off the rails and look forward to a new start in January. I have some persoanl goals which include yoga, writing and making a new wardrobe. 

Love this! Count me in for sure. I was planning on starting a whole30 Jan 1 but love the idea of extending this to include other aspects.

How will the group work? Post to the forum or put together a Facebook group?

We post here. There is an old challenge from last year in my signature. It will give you an idea of how we did it. Hoping this time will be more active. The last one the OP got lost. Hopefully they are all right!

I like the sounds of this.  I keep saying I need to get more intentional about sleep hygiene.  Every time I put sleep on the back burner, everything else suffers.  February can be a bonus sleep month for me.  January will be a continuation of my slow-roll reintroduction (no, I'm not doing another full 30 days in January, having just finished on December 19th).

About me to come later.  Maybe I'll surprise you!

I am getting ready, emotionally and spiritually to being my better self in 2016.

About me:

I am in a period of deep personal transformation. I have family and pets; I love to watch birds. I live with a few debilitating phobias, but I have also succeeded in overcoming them in the past. I have two chronic illnesses including a fatigue/pain disorder, but, again, I have successfully overcome them in the past, enough to be strong and healthy.

My goals:

To regain health in all aspects:physically, emotionally, spiritually. I am moving back towards clarity and wholeness.

Things I am changing:

Negativity. Fear. Self-loathing. Using food (and other distractions) to avoid things or comfort myself. I am working on feeling comforted and supported by taking great care of myself!

I'm looking forward to January 2nd, preparing, batch cook I by, cabinet cleaning. Yay!

I'm in. Today is day 29 of my first whole 30. I am planning on continuing for another 30 because though I feel great I really want to get this way of being in my body and mind and I'm still missing sweets for ex. I love the idea of extending this to other aspects of my life. Thank you for spearheading this!

About me:

Mom of 4.5 and 1.5 y.o girls and 8 month old puppy. I work as a psychotherapist and love my job and am grateful that I get to do what I do. However- This challenge will help me prioritize myself which often goes on the back burner. Life is really full and I want to continue fine tuning in the self care department.

Brief history: dieting and being obsessed with body/food since age 7. overexercised and abused my body until I was about 25. I was once a dancer. I've done alot of emotional work on this. (See above career choice) :)

Goals: Get my mojo back in a way. Since having kids it comes and goes for me. Increased confidence, more of this good feeling I have from these frst 29 days of clean eating, weight loss and most important - I want to pass on a healthy way of being with my body/ food/ self to my two girls. Lead by example.

I love hot yoga, hiking and hip hop dance!

I really would like to join! I did my first Whole30 last January. It was a success but I haven't been able to capitalize on it. So here I am!

A little bit about me: 

3 years ago, I broke free from a narcissist/paranoiac 35 yrs relationship that almost destroyed me. He is making me pay the hardest price for it...My 3 kids (24, 20 and 17) ...Nothing prepared me for Parental Alienation.

That said, I don't let it define me anymore.

Goals:

Go for my Blue/Black belt in American JiuJitsu by summer.

Take good care on my body because that's the only place I live in.

Acquire and develop healthy mind and body habits.

Keep a gentle, upbeat and positive attitude towards myself, others and life in general.

Thank you for that great idea to go the Whole 9 yards!

About me: Accountant by day, trapeze artist by night.  Well, not quite.  I am a Certified General Accountant (a Canadian designation that is now being brought under the umbrella of Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada - I think to make the CPA acronym the same as a U.S. Certified Public Accountants).  I HAVE dabbled on the flying trapeze (that IS me in my profile picture), but only recreationally and never professionally.  I'm currently on an expat gig in South Korea, supporting a Canadian project (I'm a Nova Scotian by birth but haven't lived there since I finished my undergrad university degree).

My personal goals:  I have a bad habit of stretching myself too thin, trying to do much for others and for myself.  I'm particularly poor at sleep hygiene and I could stand to be an all-around nicer, more-connected person.  I struggle with jealousy and comparison (aren't they always linked?); I need to cultivate an attitude of gratitude (as my mother would say).  I want this for myself, for my husband and for our son. 

Brief history: I've always self-identified as an athlete, mainly as a competitive swimmer from age 10 through to my 20s, softball in junior high and high school and marathon running as an adult.  My time in Asia has been a time to put competitive sports on the back burner and I've really been trying to learn how to FEED MYSELF, because you can't out-run (or out-swim) poor food choices forever.  I've struggled with various forms of disordered eating over the years, from anorexia nervosa as a teenager, to compulsive overeating in my early 20s and most recently a struggle with bingeing as I explored the ins and outs of the "flexible dieting" (IIFYM) phenomenon.  I would like to be able to say "I eat REAL food, and I try to avoid processed stuff as often as I can."  And not freak out if I don't know exactly what's in the dish at the restaurant or the potluck.  Oh, and I just realized that I am highly dependent on external cues to tell me when I've had enough to eat (empty container); I want to improve my intuition and internal cues for satiation.

Something else about me: I met my husband out of our shared love for supersport motorcycles.  I had a 2006 Yamaha YZF-R6S and he had a 2007 Yamaha YZF-R1 when we met through a motorcycling group.  Oh, and I hate yoga and flossing, but I know they're both good for me and I should do more of both (not at the same time).

A little bit about me: 

3 years ago, I broke free from a narcissist/paranoiac 35 yrs relationship that almost destroyed me. He is making me pay the hardest price for it...My 3 kids (24, 20 and 17) ...Nothing prepared me for Parental Alienation.

Hi Laura

I'm coming out of a 20+ year relationship - dito on the destruction - I know I am being pushed out / alienated - I know it will be twisted to make me look bad - my kids are 13, nearly 12 and 9 - it is horrible but as you say you cant let it define you  

Lets hope 2016 can heal some of that damage

Z

About me & brief history: Just turned 45 and am finding my body doesn't bounce back quite like it used to. In Jan. 2015 I caught a nasty bug that cleaned out my system (not in a good way) and changed all my gut flora and whathaveyou. That started a year-long discovery process that confirmed: I'm lactose (and probably also casein) intolerant; wheat makes me depressed and zombie-like; and sugar wreaks havoc with my joints. A large part of this learning was because of my first Whole30 in May, but the past 6 months of reintro and off-roading have also confirmed and illuminated a lot of these issues.

My personal goals:  I've eaten emotionally my entire life. I want to change that this year. The Whole30 approach to food helps, and I learned a lot, but as time went on I returned to my old eating habits to attempt to resolve stress and other emotions. I'm looking to a Whole9 to have a more comprehensive approach to stop eating emotionally.

Something else about me: I'm a fiber artist and instructor. I specialize in creating wool/silk blends for other fiber artists, weavers, handspinners, and rugmakers. I am slight crazy about wool. ;)  

Ooh, sgfc that's cool.  I used to lead a knitting group and my nickname was R6knitterchick (because of the R6 motorcycle - I used to show up at our knitting venue on my motorcycle with knitting supplies in my backpack).  Yes, I'm more than a little weird...

I think we're all going to find personal growth and healing in this Whole9.  2016 is year of the Tiger(blood)!  (Well, no actually it's year of the Red Fire Monkey - maybe that's even better?)!

Thank you for initiating this one. Restricted diets are loaded and most often send me running furiously in the opposite direction down the binge isle. I avoided as a result dieting for decades. Now it feels like my life is out of balance and I need a deep reset. So this is perfect. Not only is it about food (it starts with food) but about becoming more capable; becoming more able to create value for oneself and others. This for me makes change possible.

I look forward to sharing the journey with you.

To Zoe... Sorry to hear that. No quick fix.

It's a marathon during which I feel I need to be the best me physically and mentally. Need lots of love and tons of patience. I hope you can find a support group like I did in NYC.

One of my goals for doing the Whole30 is to get rid of the hurtful coping mechanisms I developed throughout the abusive relationship.

I broke free of the relationship, I have now to break free from those mechanisms.

About me & brief history: I'm 49, will turn 50 this year! I have two kids, a dog, and a cat. I sing and teach singing. Most recently I sang the role of Mary Poppins in the stage musical. I live in a smallish town so it was nice to be able to do such a big role. I've been kicking around Whole30land for just over 3 years, I think? Whole30 has been good for me, because it pretty much requires me to treat myself well.

My personal goals: My goals for the year include increasing my vocal skills (this is a constant goal throughout my life), getting more fit, learning to dance, growing my voice studio and performing more, and tightening up my finances.

Something else about me: I've lived in 4 countries, and 4 states in the U.S. I'd love to visit Argentina and New Zealand. I speak Spanish but don't write it especially well.

I turn 65 this January.  I have 2 grown and married daughters, a husband and a 2 year old granddaughter.  I have worked as a medical technologist for 42 years.  I am looking forward to retiring sometime in 2016.  I enjoy music, playing the piano and singing.  I like to do strength training.  I only tolerate the elliptical machine if I have a good CD to listen to.

I am up for this Whole9 challenge.  I did the Whole30 in 2015 and have now gotten off track.  I want/need to lose weight and this is the only way for me to do it. My goal is to lose weight steadily before we go to the beach in August 2016, and then tweak it by lowering carbs until I reach my goal weight.

I am pretty much allergic to all the foods on the Whole30 list of no-nos, so it is in my best health interest to stick with it.  I am hoping to make this food plan a way of life for me.  Second nature.  No pity party.

This blog may help by conversing with other people who are also up for this challenge. The health condition has been a huge problem for 15 years due to the 'no' word.  As soon as someone says you cannot eat all these foods, that is just what you want.  It has been very detrimental to my health because I spent so many years trying to make my wheat-free foods taste like normal food...It never does. Unless of course you make it out of fat, sugar and chocolate.  This was all before the paleo diet became popular and so many people were diagnosed with celiac disease.  There are so many more options and sources of information out there today.

I will confess that after my first Whole30, I was shocked at the negative effect sugar and stevia had on my arthritis and overall well being, as well as the amount of inflammation caused by eating just small amounts of foods I am allergic to.  Adding these foods back into my diet did not reveal any foods I could go back to eating.

Archived