Depression

• Moderators

Severe depression is a chemical imbalance in the brain as, no doubt, you know.

As someone who also suffers from depression, I can tell you that while the Whole30 can't cure depression, it definitely can have a positive impact. Many people report that sugar, dairy and grains have a significant negative impact on their mood (myself included). Even tho W30 can't cure depression, it's helpful to not be exacerbating symptoms by eating things that impact mood negatively. I can tell you that eating whole foods (meat, vegetables and fats) will not make his symptoms worse!

My husband and I both suffer from depression and when we did the whole30 last time (we're going for a second one starting today!) it helped a lot. I think in addition to eating right it also helped our attitudes because we had a plan and a specific purpose. It helped to activate the "give a &%#^" part of our brain.

BUT I suffer from anxiety as well and it was REALLY stressful for me the first time around. I was doing all of the cooking, preparation, and planning so it did have an impact negatively for me as well. So definitely be aware going into it that it's a bit of work if you don't plan right and take it easy.

Archived