Food for cross country skiing

violetta

I am trying to find food that keeps me warm while skiing for many hours.  We usually stop for lunch and that is the time for getting cold.  I usually eat a whole pile of cheese and nuts for my snacks, those are mostly out.  I have thought of olives, turkey slices, baby food vegetables, almond butter, compliant trail mix, but none of them thrill me like cheese does.  Any other ideas out there?  I could buy a little thermos and make some soup but I really don't like to carry much weight or waste much time.  I already carry a thermos for tea (used to be hot chocolate).

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Cheese is my favorite for hiking too :). W30 wise I like bacon, cold burgers <-- weird I know, coconut butter. Chicken stock with lots of salt would be good too. I have found salt is what can make or break things for me so make sure to salt things well!

Unfortunately, I can't find brussel sprouts now that Christmas is over.  Where do they go?  It that the country's total supply? I haven't found a great veggie alternative for cold weather, broccoli and cauliflower just don't cut it.  I tried one of those pureed baby food squash packages, yuck!  My sweet and purple potatoes are good to a point but I want something a little less carbs.

If you want to kick it up a notch, try jerky made with cayenne pepper. That'll warm you up without carrying loads of food.   I grew up downhill/cross-country skiing and skied for hours and miles on little other than water. That was then and this is now.  Jerky and water take me for miles.  Try cayenne pepper in hot water with Macadamia Nut Oil, too. 

I haven't found any compliant bacon locally and the stuff on line is way too expensive.  I did take a package of Applegate bacon out of the freezer which didn't have sugar but haven't found any in the stores.  I am trying not to eat dates as that awakens my sugar cravings.  I used to eat Larabars on the trail but stopped because of the sweetness but Epic bars taste terrible to me.  The only compliant turkey jerky ( don't like red meat) I have seen was so expensive, about 7 dollars for a couple ounces, couldn't do it!  I did try a Tanka bar that wasn't too bad, pre whole 30, but it has sugar.

Archived