CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

Hi all,

I'm Cindy, 29 and from Belgium and will be starting my first whole30 on Jan 1st (seafood platter with plenty of veggies planned).

I live near the seaside with my hubbie, son and two dogs and while I used to be in great shape, now I'm just overweight, tired, suffering from chronic inflammations and allergies and not very happy with myself.

Was seriously in doubt about my start date (original was 23rd as I have 2 full days at business event scheduled before that), but as I've been at home for two weeks I've had time to read up and prep and I'm too excited to wait that long.

Am anxious about my close support system though, nobody in my vicinity joining and all quite skeptical - especially the husband.

Not too worried about my 3y/o son as he's been drooling over the food I've prepped last few days :-).

Very curious to read all your stories!

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am starting my first Whole 30 on 1/1!  Very excited to start. I've done my meal planning and some shopping already and I've been using the Whole 30 cookbook for a few months and love it.  I'm a fairly healthy eater already (gluten free and limited dairy for over 2 years now) but am ready for a system re-start and re-focusing on what's good.  Also have some post-pregnancy pounds to lose, but that is secondary - health is first! 

Looking forward to this journey!

Hello Everyone! I'm in Australia and excited and nervous to start January 1st (tomorrow!!!!!!!!). I've done one Whole30 before and I definitely got some amazing results. If this is your first time - I can't wait to hear all about the exciting changes about to happen. I carried forward a lot of the things I learnt from my first Whole30 like: embracing fat; ditching the scales; and learning to read labels but I have let bad habits creep back into my life and I'm SO ready to ditch all that is not serving me for the start of 2016!

Current issues that I'd like to address:

Shoulder pain causing neck pain and tension headaches (inflammation methinks)

Clicking jaw (improved last time through this diet)

Low energy - lack of motivation

Caffeine addiction

Poor sleep (waking up extremely tired and grumpy)

Breakouts on face, chest and back

Brain fog

Cellulite on thighs

My goal is to have consistent, radiant energy that allows me to nurture my relationships and fulfil my duties and passions; to be pain free; to have glowing skin, and to wake up looking forward to the day ahead. 

I couldn't have done my last one without support so I'm grateful for this little community we can make online here. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. All the best!

Whole30 first timer!! My start date is January 1st and I am R-E-A-D-Y. 

Well, not quite lol I will be handling my pre-planning steps tomorrow in preparation to change my life on January 1st. I have a number of medical issues and excess weight motivating me to change. Nothing else has worked and I'm beginning to embrace the psychology of my relationship to food. Whole30 has brought this to the forefront for me & I'm confident it will incite REAL change.

Cheers to all the January Whole30 folks!! 

Hi everyone!

Hubby and I are also jumping on the January 1 bandwagon. It will be my third, his fourth. (And to think I talked him into that first one... ) We recently moved to Northern California from Seattle and let's just say we've gone WAY off road. Looking forward to all of the Whole 30 awesome, but I'd be lying if I wasn't a little nervous. But I just whipped up some bone broth and have a big cook-up planned on my day off tomorrow. LET'S DO THIS THING!!!

Hi All, 

I'm new to Whole 30 challenge.  I am looking forward to getting rid of my addiction to sugar. Namely, cookies and sweets. I've been eating more and more healthy but not whole30 by any means. Will be hard to skip the breads, beans and rice and such but I think know it will all be good for me and welcome the change and this challenge as a commitment to myself to follow through, even if just for 30 days to see that I can. And what improvements in my health and lifestyle it brings. 

I have both books, It Starts With Food acquired this summer and the Whole30 added to my Christmas list and I was fortunate enough that someone got it for me as it pointed me to this website where I found out about the challenge starting in about 24 hours! I've read or skimmed the whole book and I have started  working on me and my house and I've bought some of the foods that will help me through the next 30 days. I will make another trip in the next day or so for some of the fresher items. My shopping trip yesterday created several questions that I hope to find answers to in the forum. Otherwise, I believe I can do this and hope to give and receive encouragement here and find ideas from others posts that will help me on this journey! 

I am also going to do the Barre3 Challenge that begins on the 4th as my other main goal this year is to work on my strength. I am a regular user of Sparkpeople and will wrap this challenge up as the team and challenge I am on there will be getting started.

Lots of things to keep me healthy and strong well in to 2016. 

Wishing everyone success in their goals for the Whole30 challenge.

Stats:

Female, 45

Engaged/living together (he supports me but won't follow it beyond what I prepare). 

suffer from sugar induced headaches and hunger headaches

gas and bloating - causes unknown (but not for long!)

Erin in Austin, TX

(Need to go figure out how to do the signature part!)

Newbie, kind of tried it last year for 14 days but putting in more effort this time to prep and plan! Jan 1 it is.

Female, 40's, living in Pacific Northwest. Love to cook but go through slumps of not wanting to make anything; sugar addict and lover of diary. Would be great to get online support and not do it alone. Hubbie is halfway in but travels a lot, teenage son is competitive swimmer who eats like a horse. Tricky...

Hi everyone - I have roasted a chicken, made my first batch of meatballs and breakfast patties for freezing and invested in a slow cooker for bone broth and whatnot (I have never made bone broth before - v exciting) and I have two giant sweet potatoes in the oven.  I am ready.

This will be my second Whole30 (my first was Oct last year) but this time my husband is doing it with me... he has willpower of steel so while it will make food prep a bit harder, I am sure the commitment will be easier.  That said, I found it pretty easy last time to be honest (I am good with black and white rules, grey areas are my downfall).

Look forward to getting to know you all!

Hello Everyone!

I will be starting Jan 1, 2016. This will be my third Whole30. The first one went really really well. The second one seemed a little bit harder, do not know why ?

So I am hoping that this one goes well.

I am hoping to go longer than 30 but that will be my first target and then hopefully another 30.

Over the weekend I plan to prep a lot for the upcoming week. I try to keep things pretty simple.

(Make my own mayonnaise, dressing, ghee, ketchup, barbeque sauce, etc, etc)

And although no one will be joining me they tend to eat pretty good when I am on Whole30.

My husband who does most of the cooking in our household, cooks Whole30 when I am on it.

He actually makes a lot of yummy stuff.

I am from Canada.

This time I am hoping to incorporate a little more exercise.

Good luck everyone and I love all the encouragement that I receive from the forum, it really has helped me in the past to keep going!

Hello Everyone! I'm in Australia and excited and nervous to start January 1st (tomorrow!!!!!!!!). I've done one Whole30 before and I definitely got some amazing results. If this is your first time - I can't wait to hear all about the exciting changes about to happen. I carried forward a lot of the things I learnt from my first Whole30 like: embracing fat; ditching the scales; and learning to read labels but I have let bad habits creep back into my life and I'm SO ready to ditch all that is not serving me for the start of 2016!

Current issues that I'd like to address:

Shoulder pain causing neck pain and tension headaches (inflammation methinks)

Clicking jaw (improved last time through this diet)

Low energy - lack of motivation

Caffeine addiction

Poor sleep (waking up extremely tired and grumpy)

Breakouts on face, chest and back

Brain fog

Cellulite on thighs

My goal is to have consistent, radiant energy that allows me to nurture my relationships and fulfil my duties and passions; to be pain free; to have glowing skin, and to wake up looking forward to the day ahead. 

I couldn't have done my last one without support so I'm grateful for this little community we can make online here. 

Looking forward to hearing from you. All the best!

Hey Miemoo! Welcome!

Happy New Year. I love hearing what motivates everyone to participate in a whole30. Off the subject - my husband and I are planning a trip to Australia this year. We want to stay away from tourist and get a local experience. Any recommendations on what part of the country to explore and the best time of year to come? I know your seasons are opposite of ours (we live in the states).

Have fun on your first day of your Whole30! We've got this!

Hello Everyone!

I will be starting Jan 1, 2016. This will be my third Whole30. The first one went really really well. The second one seemed a little bit harder, do not know why ?

So I am hoping that this one goes well.

Welcome, DonnaR! You're totally not alone in experiencing a hard 2nd whole30. I literally just read this article last night! http://whole30.com/2015/02/second-whole30/ :) I feel like my whole30's get a little easier each time so hopefully this one goes well for you. We'll all be here to support each other! 

Hey! I'm in... Starting for the first time. I'm determined to give up my love affair with peanut butter! HaHa! It's true though.

Hey Bemcbe! Before I ever started a whole30, I was so obsessed with peanut butter. Like I put it with everything! But almond butter and cashew butter quickly became my new favorite. I haven't had peanut butter in probably 2 years! :) We'll be here to support you through your PB withdrawals.  :D

1 More day to go! (for most of us)

I thought I would share my favorite whole30 compliant things that may be helpful. I would love for anyone else to share too! 

Bacon - This stuff is amazing. Amazing. http://grasslandbeef.com/sugar-free-pork-bacon-slices?affId=108183

Condiments - The slow roasted garlic sauce is so delicious. We love their ketchup/mustard too! http://www.tessemaes.com/collections/all/whole30-approved

Snacks - Barefoot Provisions has a ton of compliant snacks. My absolute favorite is the Good brand Coconut Chips. The Mango Macadamia Adventure snack mix is yummy too. http://barefootprovisions.com/collections/whole30?page=3

Ghee - I can't live without ghee - whole30 or not! Tinstar has the most delicious ghee I have found. And Thrive Market has it the cheapest that I've found! https://thrivemarket.com/cultured-grass-fed-ghee?

La Croix - I can't live without La Croix either - I used to think it was nasty, maybe it's somewhat of an acquired taste? Whatever. It's amazing. My favorite flavor is the cherry lime. I also love the regular one and I mix it with 100% pure cranberry juice and fresh squeeze of lemon for a delicious "mocktail". You can get La Croix at any market I think! 

Anyone else have some to share?? I'm always looking for ideas!

Hi All, 

I'm new to Whole 30 challenge.  I am looking forward to getting rid of my addiction to sugar. Namely, cookies and sweets. I've been eating more and more healthy but not whole30 by any means. Will be hard to skip the breads, beans and rice and such but I think know it will all be good for me and welcome the change and this challenge as a commitment to myself to follow through, even if just for 30 days to see that I can. And what improvements in my health and lifestyle it brings. 

Hey Ninetoze!  I'm with you on the sugar addiction. The other stuff (bread, beans, etc.) was much easier for me to give up. But the sugar dragon is REAL. Time to kick it! We've got this!

I'm Shea and this is my second whole30. I did my first in September. I was pretty good until 2 weeks ago and the lack of schedule (I'm a teacher) and a stressful parent visit had me drinking more and eating more. :( Looking forward to getting back on track. The hardest thing for me is going to be my birthday in 2 weeks. I'll have fruit instead of alcohol. ;) Oh and I have Hashimoto's disease so I'm already gluten free and mostly grain free. 

Hi! This my first Whole 30 starting Jan.1. Just heard about this from my brother whose son and DIL lost weight with this and continued on after with a paleo diet. I've been following a low sugar and low carb diet since last August(well except for the holidays :) ) but felt I needed to eliminate more to accomplish my health goals. Eliminating dairy will be a challenge but I know I can do this for 30 days! Looking forward to start the challenge for 2016!!! I'm 62 in fairly good health(except for sleep apnea) but have a lot of weight and want to continue on to excellent health and weight loss! So glad I'm here!!!

I'll be doing my second Whole 30, and I am starting today. First one in October 2015 was extremely enlightening. As everyone said, but I failed to believe until now, it's easy to let things slide after you leave the strict confines of the formal program. I'm looking forward to a little more toeing the line in the next month, and am bringing some first timers along this time - they start on 1/5/16.

I am planning either a whole45 or a whole60 this time. I need a little more time, I think, to solidify habits and I know what I'm doing this time.

Looking forward to feeling deliberate and vibrant again in a few weeks.

hugs to all who are starting their journey now too! It's so very worth it, for those in their first (scary!) whole30 experience.

Hello All, 

I am starting my first Whole 30 tomorrow, January 1st. I am looking forward to feeling better and beating my food addiction! It is comforting to read that people have done Whole 30 before, and are doing another one, or two, or three. That gives me a lot of encouragement and confidence. So thank you for that. Healthy eating everyone. 

Hi. I have actually started today because I just couldn't wait. I am really encouraged reading forum posts but am also nervous--why does everyone have bowls of candy on their desks and checkout counters???

My best friend who lives 800 miles away started yesterday. We are doing an email daily to update each other. And this will help.

I am impressed with the amount of planning and prep and OMG label reading! I thought I had done my job but wow. There's more to do. So far I have a one week menu plan and I changed it up on the first meal. Ha. I can't wait for leftovers. 

Thanks for being there.

oh and I am 58,

live in Western North Carolina,

am doing this on the suggestion of my dr.--hoping to change bloodwork results

and just need to get real about eating and aging.

Archived