CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

I am starting my first Whole30 on January 4, 2015.  My cousin is coming along for the journey, but, the husband and kids aren't joining me this time around.  Luckily, I am a CPA and will spend a majority of my time in the office during the next 30 days , so that I won't be tempted by their non-compliant food.  I plan on spending this weekend cooking compliant foods so that I have ready made meals at my fingertips.

I have been following a low-carb lifestyle since October and have had great success in weight loss and overall health improvement. However, I have a feeling I have a dairy sensitivity and this is my first attempt at confirming this theory.

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 More day to go! (for most of us)

I thought I would share my favorite whole30 compliant things that may be helpful. I would love for anyone else to share too! 

Bacon - This stuff is amazing. Amazing. http://grasslandbeef.com/sugar-free-pork-bacon-slices?affId=108183

Condiments - The slow roasted garlic sauce is so delicious. We love their ketchup/mustard too! http://www.tessemaes.com/collections/all/whole30-approved

Snacks - Barefoot Provisions has a ton of compliant snacks. My absolute favorite is the Good brand Coconut Chips. The Mango Macadamia Adventure snack mix is yummy too. http://barefootprovisions.com/collections/whole30?page=3

Ghee - I can't live without ghee - whole30 or not! Tinstar has the most delicious ghee I have found. And Thrive Market has it the cheapest that I've found! https://thrivemarket.com/cultured-grass-fed-ghee?

La Croix - I can't live without La Croix either - I used to think it was nasty, maybe it's somewhat of an acquired taste? Whatever. It's amazing. My favorite flavor is the cherry lime. I also love the regular one and I mix it with 100% pure cranberry juice and fresh squeeze of lemon for a delicious "mocktail". You can get La Croix at any market I think! 

Anyone else have some to share?? I'm always looking for ideas!

Thanks for the information!

Hi everyone,

i'm in Canada and excited (and nervous) to start the whole 30 tomorrow.

This will be my third whole 30 and I'm mostly looking forward to losing the brain fog and having better sleeps (and waking up refreshed and ready for the day).

Both times before, I've had amazing results and have slowly allowed myself to slide back into old eating habits - which for me means junk food. I'm at my highest weight ever and feeling very sluggish and down. I want this to be the whole 30 that changes my mindset towards food forever. I'm really hoping I can finally shake my "fomo" on food and fully adopt (and love) healthy eating.

Looking forward to all of the support during the whole 30 and even more so afterwards. :)

I'm in with you all tomorrow. I've been toying with Paleo for a couple of years now and I've considered the Whole 30 a couple of times, but never seriously. My biggest challenge - by  far - will be no alcohol. I spent 18 years in the wine business and drinking every night is just what I've always done. I'm not a heavy drinker, but I do depend on my 1 or two glasses a night. Probably a sign that I need a break, huh? 

My next biggest challenge will be bread/crackers. Not too worried about dairy and sugar. I generally eat a mostly whole foods diet and enjoy cooking. I've got the Whole30 cookbook, as well as Well Fed and Well Fed 2, so I've got tons of recipes. 

My 12 year old daughter is (sort of) joining me. She is definitely starting to recognize the effects certain foods have on her body and moods, so this should be quite an interesting learning experience!

Count me in! I'm starting on the 2nd. It will be my second one, and I'm excited to get back to normal after having binged right on through the holidays! My first was last May, and I stuck to it about 80% of the time until December. I'm ready for round two!!

Hi everyone!

This is going to be my first Whole 30, starting tomorrow(!), and I don't have anyone local doing it with me, but I do have a really great support system of fellow group ex instructors who are kicking off the New Year with a re-commitment to healthy eating. So while I won't have anyone I can whine in person to that I can't find a compliant bacon or whatever, they will totally understand when I say I want a black coffee instead of a latte :)

I'm 31 and, up until 2 and a half years ago, I was morbidly obese. Put my nose to the grindstone and lost ~150lbs just by making smarter choices. Now I'm looking to really buckle down and lose the stubborn bit of weight that crept back on when I had to go off of my caloric deficit because my monthly friend went away and my hormones went crazy. Got that all figured out so I've been given the okay to start losing again and I thought the Whole 30 would be a great way to start while also not even thinking about stepping on the scale again until Day 30's done. 

I teach Les Mills Sh'Bam and BodyPump as well as PiYo and I'm training for a Mudderella in June. When I'm not teaching, I love crazy hard workouts where I just shut of my brain and go (probably why I love CrossFit). 

The hardest part for me is, I think, going to be eliminating snacks. I know that I graze on things because I'm bored. I try to have healthier snacks around so I'm having an apple instead of chips, but still. So that'll be something for me to work on! 

Looking forward to what the next 30 days bring!

I'm in!

I've been behind the scenes following these forums since 2012 when I did my first Whole30, now ready to join the conversations. This will be my 4th Whole30, and hopefully the best yet! 

I got back from my vacation Sunday and started my Whole30 the second I walked in my door because I was so sick of being away from home eating junk.

Hi, I'm Betsy and this will be my second Whole30. My first Whole30 was this past fall. I started to eat paleo in order to improve my Chronic Migraine diagnosis. It did help... and once I was through the program I felt great. I went back to old ways and my headaches worsened again. This time, I plan to follow the guidelines for after your Whole30!

I live outside Philadelphia. I'm a mother to two 'tweens' and wife to my sweetheart. I sew and create.... I'm an artist. Looking forward to this journey with all of you!

I am in and so happy to be giving this gift of support and encouragement to myself. I'm tired of hurting myself with food. I love what I am finding here and am grateful for the community understanding and support this program offers. It's only food--and yet it has consumed me. Defeated and ready.

Hello! This will be my second W30. I had a very successful experience doing this last January. I have never felt better! I saw a big improvement in some pesky health issues and lost about 7 pounds and a few inches around my middle effortlessly. I stuck loosely to a paleo-ish way of eating until the summer, but then I fell way off track. I tried to do another round a few months ago, but failed miserably. This time feels different. I have been shopping, cooking, and eating W30 for the past week just to get myself prepared (and to recover from the Christmas bloat). The only thing that I haven't cut out yet is alcohol (have had a beer or glass of wine or two here and there). My husband is also going to attempt to do his first W30 with me this January, so that will make things easier. We have two young kids at home and while I am not going to restrict or cut out entire food groups, I will be feeding them what I make for most meals (adding in some grass-fed dairy and whole grains here and there).

I've been using the recipes from the new Whole30 book this week and they've all been great in case anyone is looking for some new and simple recipes. So far we've had perfect burger (topped with caramelized onions and guacamole), the perfect sausage, Chicken Hash, chicken meatballs, and are eating the homemade mayo like crazy. I've also been doing a lot of batch cooking (roasted sweet potatoes, hard-boiled eggs, pre-cut veggies, etc). I found during my last W30 that one of my biggest keys to success was always having the fridge stocked with easy grab and go options. Tonight we are having the walnut crusted pork tenderloin (with a nice glass of wine while I can still imbibe ha ha).  

Happy New Year everyone! Looking forward to rocking this journey with you all. 

Hi all, 

I'm planning to start my second Whole30 on January 2, delay due to January 1 Rose Bowl party (rooting for our Iowa Hawks). Location: Eastern Iowa. Age 61. Health: iffy (adrenal issues, dry eye). 

I loved my first Whole30, and although I still avoid gluten, never drink soda or juice, and rarely eat sweets made with refined sugar, I've strayed from the lifestyle. Reasons include:

- Kitchen remodel in 2014 meant I ate out a lot and slacked off from good habits. 

- Social eating of (paleo) sweets and breads.

- Trying to please our picky 4-year-old grandchild with treat foods. 

- For my blog and recipe column for my local paper I sometimes want to please the masses with dessert and bread recipes. 

- Husband (celiac) is intolerant of cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, onions, garlic, raw greens, which are some of my favorite Whole30ish foods, so I pout about the limitations and fill up on other foods that aren't good for me. 

Goals:

- Lose 10 pounds to achieve a healthy BMI.

- Better energy.

- Break the sugar habit. 

I don't feel like my resolve is strong, so I'll be on the forums gathering support. I'll be rooting for you, too! 

I figured now's the time to jump in 100%! I've tried to do Whole30s before, but I always cared too much about what people thought (so I wouldn't pack a lunch for work, and BAM, there went my Whole30) or gave in to cravings. So I am committing, right now. I will not try to keep it a secret; I won't allow other's thoughts of me to determine my actions and ultimately my health. I will stand strong through those cravings! I want to feel alive and vibrant again!!!! 

Here we gooooo!!!!!! 

Hi,

I'm on here as per Found in Nature's invite. Thank you BTW. I reside in Vacaville, Ca. I've been wanting to do the Whole30 reset for awhile but didn't for a long time because I thought it was a diet. I've tried eating clean, Paleo and counting calories just to fail and go back to my old habits. I saw Dallas and Melissa on Dr. Oz and they explained the program thoroughly and now I'm sold. My goal is to feel healthy on the inside and let go of my anxiety, bloating, acid reflux and sugar cravings. My wife and I welcomed a baby girl almost two months ago and I want to be able to play with her without getting tired too quickly. Glad to be apart of a great program and team!

Hello Everyone! 

I am new to Whole30 and am super excited (and a little nervous) to be on this new journey. I actually started on 12/28 because I just couldn't wait and I am glad that I did! I have never really done the online forum thing so this is a little new/strange for me but I like having a spot where I can come and browse recipes or success stories. It has really helped keep me motivated these past couple of days!

Look forward to going through the challenge!

Hi all!  I am starting my second Whole 30 tomorrow and am so excited. I did a successful Whole 40 through November and first half of December and then totally fell off the wagon.  Can't wait to get feeling good again--day 30 and beyond.  I'd like to extend an invite to a Facebook group that was started in November--we just keep changing the date montly.  It's a closed group, but just request an add!  Here is the link if you're interested: 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1646998128905449/?fref=nf--hopefullyif you just copy and paste it into your browser you'll find it.

A little about me:  I'm 45, married with two daughters. Very active--1/2 marathons, marathons, triathlons and one full Ironman.  I'm wanting to become a fat adapted athlete--I don't  want to rely on Gatorade/gels/GU to fuel my running/cycling.  Even though I'm extremely active, I struggle with those stubborn 10-15 pounds that I can only lose while staying away from sugars and grains.  I'm so happy to be restarting this lifestyle tomorrow.

Good luck to all, and can't wait to support one another both here and on the Facebook group!

Hello! Adrienne here--I'm starting on Jan. 2nd. I'm 51 and I'm doing Whole30 to reset myself after a sugar and alcohol filled holiday season. We are going on a tropical vacation in February and I plan to feel great when I step on (and off) that plane! Last year, I started exercising with a personal trainer. I've seem great results, and I'm committed to more intense training in 2016--my goal is to be able to do a pull up! Excited to start this journey, and happt to have your support!

Hi all, 

I'm Tracey and I'm in too. Because I live in Sydney, I have already started this morning. This will be my second W30, did my first a year ago and loved it. Just looking to recharge and cleanse and get that level of awareness up about my body and food choices again. I definitely could look to lose a few kilo's but I don't own scales so just looking to see how I feel in my clothes as well as my fitness. I'm into walking, swimming, running and the gym so am looking to see some improvement in fitness. 

Good luck all and look forward to getting to know you all on this journey.  :)

Hi All! This is my first W30. Can't believe it's finally here, and kicking off tomorrow! Whew! 

2.5 years ago, I switched to an awesome job and celebrated by packing on almost 40 pounds! Not due to stress, but sitting at a computer all day, an abundance of delicious treats everywhere at work, and a longer commute that made it easier to go to our neighborhood bar for dinner 3 times a week. That also led to a habit of 2 or 3 drinks a night. I suspect my cholesterol, and blood pressure is higher than it should be, can barely squeeze into my clothes, get migraines about twice a month, and have frequent heartburn in the morning (thanks, Chardonnay!). So I'm looking to break my bad habits, clean-up my body, shed some pounds and increase my efficiency in my workouts. 

I'm excited, and nervous. Mostly hoping to be able to enjoy more of this experience than hate it. Congrats to all of us, for making this important decision! Let's do this!

First time for Whole30. Starting tomorrow January 1, 2016! Just a bit apprehensive. I enjoy scrapbooking so I plan on working on a journal while following the plan. Wishing everyone a safe and happy new year.

I'm in with you all tomorrow. I've been toying with Paleo for a couple of years now and I've considered the Whole 30 a couple of times, but never seriously. My biggest challenge - by  far - will be no alcohol. I spent 18 years in the wine business and drinking every night is just what I've always done. I'm not a heavy drinker, but I do depend on my 1 or two glasses a night. Probably a sign that I need a break, huh? 

My next biggest challenge will be bread/crackers. Not too worried about dairy and sugar. I generally eat a mostly whole foods diet and enjoy cooking. I've got the Whole30 cookbook, as well as Well Fed and Well Fed 2, so I've got tons of recipes. 

My 12 year old daughter is (sort of) joining me. She is definitely starting to recognize the effects certain foods have on her body and moods, so this should be quite an interesting learning experience!

@Mtngirl, I am with you on the wine! I can't bare to part with my collection so I am seriously putting a zip-tie around the door handles to both the wine fridge and liquor cabinet!  :) The bottle of Veuve Clicquot I was planning to enjoy tonight is gonna have to wait for the future. Or, maybe we won't even want to drink after the W30? Hmm...

Best of luck to you!

Hello all 

I'm in for the January 1 Whole30. I've done one full Whole30 (2013) and started and stopped a few times since then, the last time failing due to an intestinal bug that threw me off all food etc. Enough details I think lol.

I am coupling this with a Beachbody exercise program, either 21 Day Fix Extreme or their new one, Hammer and Chisel - love them!

Considering the Whole9 challenge also.

I live in Peru, so some of the food staples are challenges (coconut aminos etc), but luckily I'm bringing some back with me when I return from the States on Sunday.

Here's to a happy and healthy 2016!!!

Hello!

I'm Hilary - 28, living in Nova Scotia Canada. Fur-mom to two cats and a dog ;). This is my second Whole30 - my first one was February 2015 and I went 45 days. Since then, bad habits have slowly creeped back in and I've had a hard time maintaining even my Paleo lifestyle. I felt amazing after my first one and so I want to get back there. The weight loss was very motivating, but I'm also looking forward to better sleep, no more migraines/aches, clear skin, consistent energy, and consistent moods. The Whole30 helped me feel more confident in the kitchen. I am a bit nervous to start since I've been pretty far off the wagon in Nov and Dec, in particular sweets, fast food, and alcohol. My husband is very supportive, but isn't doing this one with me - so I'll probably have a few temptations that I'll need to make sure I don't give in to. Echoing what most people have said, having a plan and easy-to-access foods / prep food ahead of time will make this much easier on me. Last time I did this I was off work - and now I'm back full-time with somewhat random hours. I can't say that I don't have the time to do this because I know I definitely do, it's more making sure that I eat - not skip breakfast rushing out the door, booking time in my day for my lunch, things like that - and that I don't crash.

So, that's me! Going to enjoy some champagne tonight to ring in the new year, then it's off to the races in the a.m. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Archived