TTT and Renewed Crew January Journey

NancyW

Many of us have done this before, and some of us have done this together. We're doing it again! If you're new, please introduce yourself to us. If you're a returning Tot or Crew member, welcome back! We have people starting right away on the 1st, and some starting a couple days or so after that. Let's do this together, because we can always use the support and information of others! 

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About me: I did my first Whole30 in September and felt great afterwards. I was going to start a second one right away, but didn't. Should have though... Instead, I let old problem foods back in, and now feel worse than ever. That's not a completely bad thing though. I have a VERY clear idea of what a difference food can make in how I feel. So I'm beginning again, and also joining the Whole9 challenge. I'm ready to start!

Thanks for starting the new group, NancyW. I'm making this a whole 90 because I know I need to extra time to get some health problems under control. I'm really looking forward to killing the sugar dragon once and for all.

For the new members, I did my first W30 in September, carried on into October, did reintroductions in November and completely fell off the wagon in December due to poor planning and using the "I only have this during the holidays" excuse to eat junk. The daily newsletters were a big help to me the first time and well worth the $15. I'm going to read them again each day.

My friend called last night and invited me for New Year's Dinner and when I asked what I could bring she said a salad for she was making steak and baked potatoes. A big relief for I thought I might have to turn her down because I want to get off to a good start on the 1st, not the second.

Today I grilled chicken breasts, made mayo, fixed tuna salad and boiled eggs. I'll throw some potatoes and sweet potatoes in the oven to go with dinner and have leftovers for awhile.

Have a wonderful day.

Happy New Year

Thanks for starting this thread, Nancy.

I have been doing W30 since September then decided needed to go beyond and have been 'sort of' doing AIP. I have done a lot of research and experimenting and am doing a full AIP for the foreseeable future but am only doing one day at a time! 

Will check in fairly regularly but not everyday. Glad to be part of this group still/again/ :)

Just "signing in" and making sure I'm setup for notifications on the new thread (thanks Nancy!)

I will pop back in later and introduce myself, for now @hsheffield...the number one tip is to take absolutely nothing for granted when it comes to ingredients list.  I nearly tanked my first Whole30 on day one with some cashews that ended up being roasted in peanut oil!  I had naively assumed nuts would be roasted in their own oil and not in some other nuts oil.  If I hadn't forgotten my lunch that day and bought a new bag at the grocery and saw "peanut" out of the corner of my eye while opening the bag....it would have been a restart just as easy as that.  That first scare was enough to have me double and triple checking everything up to and including bottled water for the rest of the month! 

There are a lot of things, including joining a group like this and committing to yourself early on to check in every day...nothing like public if anonymous accountablility to get you through some tough days, that will make a Whole30 easier and more enjoyable but for achieving it...read ingredients like your life depended on it.

I will also warn that doing so can be frustrating, I joked the biggest workout I got one weekend was picking something up, checking the ingredients, and setting it back down.  Over and over.  This was me still not getting the concept of how few packaged foods are going to be compliant, but I finally got the picture!

Just "signing in" and making sure I'm setup for notifications on the new thread (thanks Nancy!)

I will pop back in later and introduce myself, for now @hsheffield...the number one tip is to take absolutely nothing for granted when it comes to ingredients list.  I nearly tanked my first Whole30 on day one with some cashews that ended up being roasted in peanut oil!  I had naively assumed nuts would be roasted in their own oil and not in some other nuts oil.  If I hadn't forgotten my lunch that day and bought a new bag at the grocery and saw "peanut" out of the corner of my eye while opening the bag....it would have been a restart just as easy as that.  That first scare was enough to have me double and triple checking everything up to and including bottled water for the rest of the month! 

There are a lot of things, including joining a group like this and committing to yourself early on to check in every day...nothing like public if anonymous accountablility to get you through some tough days, that will make a Whole30 easier and more enjoyable but for achieving it...read ingredients like your life depended on it.

I will also warn that doing so can be frustrating, I joked the biggest workout I got one weekend was picking something up, checking the ingredients, and setting it back down.  Over and over.  This was me still not getting the concept of how few packaged foods are going to be compliant, but I finally got the picture!

Reading the ingredient list...I had forgotten how much time that added to my time in the grocery store! I can't find the compliant salsa I bought back in September despite reading a zillion labels, but I'm not taking chances. No salsa for me till I find one that IS compliant. 

My best advice, hsheffield, prep and plan, plan and prep, then prep and plan some more! That includes reading labels, cooking ahead, having quick meals planned and ready (for me, that's cooked chicken, romaine lettuce, walnuts, and a variety of salad-worthy fruits and veggies, plus oil & vinegar and compliant mustard for dressing). That way, "I didn't have time to make anything compliant" is taken right out of the equation. Good luck to you! There's a lot of help and support around here. I was lucky to hook up with a great group, many of whom will be posting here. 

NancyW - thanks for getting us going!

This is my 2nd W30 - did the first with the Crew Oct/Nov 2015.  I have been gluten free for about 1 1/2 years so had already seen improvements in a lot of areas but knew that I could feel better.  I did feel better on W30 then started re-introductions and found out that reaction to dairy is the cause of pain in both knees that has been intermittent for almost 2 years.  Didn't do the rest of the re-intros as cleanly as I should have so that is why I am doing a 2nd W30.  Even though I haven't been eating gluten or many gluten free items like bread/pasta/baked goods I have been eating too much sugar and the last few weeks have felt lousy.  My goals are to do the best W30 I can and to do a slow-roll re-introduction period of one food (not food group) at a time.

Tips:  as stated about - plan, read, prep, repeat.  Even though planning is crucial, think of this as good decisions one meal at a time and before you know it the time for re-introduction will be here.  If you have never made your own mayo or bone broth then consider doing it - it's worth it.  Try new foods - I don't like the taste of coconut but I have used the canned coconut milk to substitute for cow milk in recipes as well as for making ice cream (AFTER W30!!!)  

I too felt like the anonymous accountability to this group and the support from the group was all extremely helpful to me.

Everyone have a Happy New Year and ... here we go!

Hi all - just letting you know I am here again, my first W30 was Sept with the CFC and I think the only thing a sustained post reintro was black coffee.  I reintroduced sugar and the rest was history.  :)

Anyway speaking of reintroductions, I am Tracy (ya see what I did there?) an English woman, living in Bangkok, Thailand with an American husband (he is doing the W30 with me this time - woohoo!).  I have two cats, a dog, I paint and draw a bit - and I make educational apps for a living.

Tx

ok, have cleaned out the pantry and my freezer. it hurt a little to throw all that food away.....will 'clean' out the fridge today.

(btw, I'm ok w/ throwing out stuff w/ sugar, but all the Trader Joe's quick meals with wine. sigh. goodbye cioppino!)

I see people have been logging their meals-I can't seem to find it on the website. anyone know?

I signed up for the newsletter and the daily email.

have quick read both books and will be reading the whole 30 book in more detail this weekend.

here we go!

Happy New Year and You! Aaaand we're off...

After I pack up all the food I already made, I will have a nice full freezer! I still want to cook chicken breasts to have on hand. I'll do that today. The tree will come down today as well. Time to put things back in order. I've been off of work since Dec. 23, and I have three more days to get my To Do list completed before heading back on Monday. The only thing checked off so far is prepping for my W30--really the most important thing on that list! I live in a very small apartment, so decluttering is crucial, and today is the day it starts. Seems like a good way to get the ball rolling.

I'm looking forward to sharing this journey with all of you!

I'm in! This will be my 3rd Whole30.  I started one year ago today, and did one in June.  I spent most of 2015 eating pretty close to Whole30 compliance until around Thanksgiving when I pretty much ate anything that got too close to me!  I had lost about 45 pounds but have put back on a few and feel horrible-knee and hand pain mostly.  I'm happy to be back and am looking forward to feeling better and getting some self control back, and glad to have found a group to share the journey with!

Amy

Happy New Year everyone! It's so nice to have some newbies and to see those I already know coming for a second round. These groups were so helpful to me before and I know we will again.

I go t a new journal for this year and have recorded my weight and measurements and taken some sad pictures that I know will be looking better by the end of the month. For many years I have kept a journal where I record 3 blessings (or good things that have happene4d that day) every night before I go to bed. Some days it's hard to chose what to put down and others it ends up being thankful to have a home and food and people who care about me. I will also write about my W30 journey this year.

Have a wonderful day.

I'm in! This will be my 3rd Whole30.  I started one year ago today, and did one in June.  I spent most of 2015 eating pretty close to Whole30 compliance until around Thanksgiving when I pretty much ate anything that got too close to me!  I had lost about 45 pounds but have put back on a few and feel horrible-knee and hand pain mostly.  I'm happy to be back and am looking forward to feeling better and getting some self control back, and glad to have found a group to share the journey with!

Amy

Welcome to the group, Amy! One of the things that surprised me was how much better my knees and hands felt after my first W30 in September. I did the same thing you did, started eating everything in my vicinity, and now I remember how bad it was. I'm looking forward to NOT hurting so much by the end of this month!

Starting my third W30 with a goal to simplify. Did pretty well through 2015 with staying compliant maybe 90% of the time. I did learn, though, that there are just some foods I can't keep in the house - Ice cream, even if is soy, gluten and dairy free. Guess that leaves the sugar as the culprit. I very steadily and slowly lost 30 pounds this year. Also lost swelling in my knees and skin outbreaks on my face. Happy to leave these things behind!

Success advice: follow the template. It really does hold me 4 or 5 hours. I rarely, if ever, snack anymore -a HUGE change from a year ago. My energy stays very level and consistent throughout the day and evening.

Good luck to everyone here!

Hi everyone, and Happy New Year!! And welcome Amy and anyone else new. You,ve landed with a good group who KEEP IT REAL.

Miss Lindy, I thought of you on NY Eve, since you were ahead of us all...except, maybe Hirondelle...and Nancy, you are a champ to get us started. Thanks to you for taking the plunge.

I did my first W30 about this time last year and felt GREAT, and my second over the last couple of months of 2015, even though I didn't check what kind of oil my cashews were roasted in . I will take the next two days to get really set up....make fresh mayo, cook up some stuff, organize menus...oh, yes, and tonight, finish off the rest of that bottle of champagne from last night. I know, Crew, you've heard me whine about wine...and it's true that wine and sugar (closely related) are my Waterloo....by just couldn't end the old year without the bubbly. I will be done with that tonight.

I will also ramp up over the next three days...sort of a soft start...but then really flip the switch on MondAy....for day counting purposes. Have already weighed...and don't need to measure since I've felt my jeans shrinking since I finished my last w30 in Nov, followed by a perfectly miserable reintro, which was a bit more like skydiving back into a huge pile of bad habits than a careful reintro.

Thanks to everyone for being there...and let's do this!,, not just for now, but as the start of a new food enjoyment plan....learning to make and enjoy so many new things....bone broth, persimmons, pear salad....

Those of you who started today: lead the way!!

Merg

Guess what? I just checked my Costco cashews, and YEP!!! Peanut oil. See ya later...Kirkland cashews....

Another tip for newbies: use the meal template. It will seem at first as though you are eating WAY more than usual, but you are actually finally really nourishing yourself, you won't need to snack, and you will find it much easier to sustain if you use the template. I know that veggies at breakfast are a challenge at first, but once it becomes meal #1 instead, you will find that you miss it if you don't have veggies at every meal.

Merg - good to hear from  you and other Crew as well as the  new ones.  There must be something in this Virginia mountain air because my jeans have shrunk in the last few weeks too!  Started today since been feeling pretty crappy last few weeks from poor choices (!).  Luckily the last 2 weeks have been shorter work weeks but next week it's back to full speed ahead so I'm trying to take the next 3 days and jump-start my system.  It really does help to follow the meal template.  I used to have to snack/eat every couple of hours or I would get jittery/shaky;cranky, headachy.  Now I hardly ever need a snack between meals.  Usually when I feel like I do it's just boredom.  Good luck everyone!

I had forgotten how great it is to go hours without thinking about food--that's one of my favorite side effects of following the template!

Merg, love your critters! Rusty's been gone for over 4 years now--still feeling that hole in my heart. But my dog-like cat, Monty, does a great job of making up for it. He's what Rusty would have been if he was a cat. :D

I've been doing whole30s since September 2013.  What I noticed was that my fibromyalgia bone pain completely disappeared when I was eating compliant, so I really did not ever reintroduce.  Well - not formally.  My life spun out of control and I fell off the wagon completely over the past year.  And I am now living with chronic pain, again.

My husband, two ADHD children, and I just relocated from California to Exeter, England, so this will be my first time doing a whole30 while also getting used to what is available to me foodwise in the UK.

In addition, I turn 50 in two days.  I had planned to already be at my best when I turned 50, but life interfered and I find that I am still a work in progress.  So this whole30 is a fresh start in so many ways.

I previously have done my whole30s with the Dirty30 but I don't see them here.  Thank you for letting me join your group.

Today I roasted six chicken thighs and some carrots, white potatoes and onions in my somewhat different English oven.  Couldn't figure out how to turn on the oven part so it ended up broiled, instead.  But I did succeed.

Tomorrow is unfortunately a do-over because, as it is my first week in Devon, I did take a spoonful of Devon cream to taste it.

I've been doing whole30s since September 2013.  What I noticed was that my fibromyalgia bone pain completely disappeared when I was eating compliant, so I really did not ever reintroduce.  Well - not formally.  My life spun out of control and I fell off the wagon completely over the past year.  And I am now living with chronic pain, again.

My husband, two ADHD children, and I just relocated from California to Exeter, England, so this will be my first time doing a whole30 while also getting used to what is available to me foodwise in the UK.

In addition, I turn 50 in two days.  I had planned to already be at my best when I turned 50, but life interfered and I find that I am still a work in progress.  So this whole30 is a fresh start in so many ways.

I previously have done my whole30s with the Dirty30 but I don't see them here.  Thank you for letting me join your group.

Today I roasted six chicken thighs and some carrots, white potatoes and onions in my somewhat different English oven.  Couldn't figure out how to turn on the oven part so it ended up broiled, instead.  But I did succeed.

Tomorrow is unfortunately a do-over because, as it is my first week in Devon, I did take a spoonful of Devon cream to taste it.

Hello and Welcome

You will love living in England and there are so many more options food-wise than we have in NZ. My friend tells me of all the wonderful places she finds things and the options available. 

Love your description of 'a work in progress'--that is the best way to be so we continually strive for a better version of ourselves. Sounds like you are doing really well. A book was recommended which I have read: 'Why Isn't My Brain working?' Lots of solid information there and answers regarding food.

Day WON! How great to do a full day properly. So one down and 29 to go. I don't even have to count now, just one step at a time. Am going out shopping this morning and OH put a lump of frozen cookie dough out where I can see it and take action--so first challenge has arrived. Funny but I don't really have any desire to eat cookies at all so baking them isn't a problem now. I always make extra dough to freeze so I only have to do a major bake up occasionally.

EXCITING NEWS: Dec 31 is my birthday and we decided to go out for breakfast. I decided to have whatever I wanted and chose pancakes with bacon. Looked lovely, I took one bite of the pancakes and thought, what is this in my mouth? Clearly something has shifted, I couldn't stand the taste, texture or anything about them. Didn't even taste like food to me. Now I never have to want that again--just not that nice to eat.  So eating this way has made a few shifts in my palate and I am thrilled. 

I think the largest hurdle with this eating stuff is feeling deprived or that I have to deny myself something I want.With W30 I am wanting fresh, actual food, not the non-food I was used to--and that is all allowed. I have done a lot of thinking over the past couple of weeks and if I am going to have something non-compliant it will have to be worth it to set me back as I know it will. Having said that I am no saint--and coffee with coconut oil keep calling me. I know I will have to be on AIP for a few months so will do the first 30 days with no hitches but on day 31 I am going to try reintroducing coffee! At least that's what I think at the moment.

Whew! Didn't mean to spill all that but thanks for being here. Most of you will have finished Day 1 and are ready for Day 2!  Well done US!!!

Archived