Whole90

falcon

Is there anyone out there brave enough to cop to "crutching" on the W30 because they do not trust themselves to eat the way they feel they should without the framework of this program? I ask because this has been on my mind lately and this post seemed as if it was leading to that subject. There may already be a thread for this. If so, I would love to read it. I would love to know the breakdown of people who keep going because they are afraid to stop and enter the "real world" of eating as opposed to permanently adopting this way of eating going forward.

I would think that ending the program is just as critical a step as sticking to it for the 30 days, if not more so from an eating psychology perspective. I never had the desire to go past 30 days. After two of these, I do have the usual apprehension about ending the program even as I get to about that third week where serious food boredom sets in and the days start to slooooow way down for me. It's day 18 and I am totally there. But, that fear of going back and having to ride my own bike is a vital step for me and all the more reason not to drag it out. I want to trust myself and my choices, own them and learn from them. 

I could see this happening pretty easily to many people. Yes, we willingly choose to do a W30 but perhaps crave the insulation of not being able to touch foods that are problematic for us because we are operating within the framework of a program whose rules are dictated by an outside entity, in other words refusing to ride our own bike.

I guess I am trying to say that doing this program for the right reasons are every bit as important to me as doing the program at all.

My apologies if I am in the wrong place with this post.

Well, many of us have done a Whole 30 before and are dealing with autoimmune conditions, etc. I'd like to say that perhaps some people want to do the Whole 30 for life and may be afraid to go off the plan, however many of us are trying to rid ourselves of tons of medications and chronic medical issues. I'd refer you to page 58 in The Whole 30, where it says that "if you've got a chronic medical condition, an autoimmune disease, or a long history of unhealthy food habits or addictions, you may want to plan on being on the program longer than 30 days. While the basic program is long enough to steer you in the right direction and bring you some of the results you're hoping to see, you can't expect to fully reverse years (or decades!) of medical symptoms or food-related habits in just a month. Autoimmune conditions are especially stubborn, often requiring six months or more of dietary and lifestyle intervention to bring significant healing and resolution of symptoms. If you feel like you can commit to a Whole45, 60 or 90 right out of the gate, go for it!" 

So, are there people who "crutch" it with the Whole 30, many of us do not. Each of us has our own reasons. 

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm currently on day 23 of a whole30 and I'm really honestly debating extending it to a 60 or 90. I'm feeling good but nothing crazy and exciting. Still pretty tired most of the time, some joint pain and some mental health ailments. On a positive note though my pain medication needs have gone way down, I have only needed to take gaviscon twice (used to drink from the bottle during the day) and I have went from a tight size 18 to a 14.

Is there anyone out there brave enough to cop to "crutching" on the W30 because they do not trust themselves to eat the way they feel they should without the framework of this program? I ask because this has been on my mind lately and this post seemed as if it was leading to that subject. There may already be a thread for this. If so, I would love to read it. I would love to know the breakdown of people who keep going because they are afraid to stop and enter the "real world" of eating as opposed to permanently adopting this way of eating going forward.

I would think that ending the program is just as critical a step as sticking to it for the 30 days, if not more so from an eating psychology perspective. I never had the desire to go past 30 days. After two of these, I do have the usual apprehension about ending the program even as I get to about that third week where serious food boredom sets in and the days start to slooooow way down for me. It's day 18 and I am totally there. But, that fear of going back and having to ride my own bike is a vital step for me and all the more reason not to drag it out. I want to trust myself and my choices, own them and learn from them. 

I could see this happening pretty easily to many people. Yes, we willingly choose to do a W30 but perhaps crave the insulation of not being able to touch foods that are problematic for us because we are operating within the framework of a program whose rules are dictated by an outside entity, in other words refusing to ride our own bike.

I guess I am trying to say that doing this program for the right reasons are every bit as important to me as doing the program at all.

It's a really good point. Good food for thought especially in this post! For me - there are no health issues, but I'm forcing myself to be very real about cravings, food associations etc. and at day 16 I can see that I still want things for the wrong reasons. I know that I'll get back to the real world soon enough, I just want to go back in it with a better relationship with food and at this moment I think it may take a bit longer to become a habit. I need more natural situations to happen that I will no longer "medicate" with food whether it be reward, sadness, stress or whatever. 30 days just seems like another one of my yo yo diet things. "If I can just make it to DAY 30!" NO! .....I want it to feel like a real change!

Missyween! Cake?! Congrats that is tough! I need to cut back a little on the fruit too. Each week I try to tweak something else so that will be mine for Week 3!

I'm currently on day 23 of a whole30 and I'm really honestly debating extending it to a 60 or 90. I'm feeling good but nothing crazy and exciting. Still pretty tired most of the time, some joint pain and some mental health ailments. On a positive note though my pain medication needs have gone way down, I have only needed to take gaviscon twice (used to drink from the bottle during the day) and I have went from a tight size 18 to a 14.

Good job!! I am looking forward to the day that I'm in a smaller size and the day I don't feel the need to take pain meds!! So happy for you! 

Good job!! I am looking forward to the day that I'm in a smaller size and the day I don't feel the need to take pain meds!! So happy for you! 

Well, many of us have done a Whole 30 before and are dealing with autoimmune conditions, etc. I'd like to say that perhaps some people want to do the Whole 30 for life and may be afraid to go off the plan, however many of us are trying to rid ourselves of tons of medications and chronic medical issues. I'd refer you to page 58 in The Whole 30, where it says that "if you've got a chronic medical condition, an autoimmune disease, or a long history of unhealthy food habits or addictions, you may want to plan on being on the program longer than 30 days. While the basic program is long enough to steer you in the right direction and bring you some of the results you're hoping to see, you can't expect to fully reverse years (or decades!) of medical symptoms or food-related habits in just a month. Autoimmune conditions are especially stubborn, often requiring six months or more of dietary and lifestyle intervention to bring significant healing and resolution of symptoms. If you feel like you can commit to a Whole45, 60 or 90 right out of the gate, go for it!"

So, are there people who "crutch" it with the Whole 30, many of us do not. Each of us has our own reasons.

I have autoimmune issues and I certainly understand those who choose/need to eat this way for life (are they still referring to it as W30 with the same strict protocol?).

I am really targeting those who do use the program as a fear based/psychological crutch, maybe not the best choice of word but I don't want to get overly PC here. No put down intended. I believe I was clear in my original post about what I was referring to.

I have autoimmune issues and I certainly understand those who choose/need to eat this way for life (are they still referring to it as W30 with the same strict protocol?).

I am really targeting those who do use the program as a fear based/psychological crutch, maybe not the best choice of word but I don't want to get overly PC here. No put down intended. I believe I was clear in my original post about what I was referring to.

I cannot speak for others, but my mom and I are calling it the Whole90 (even though it isn't official) and are sticking to the same strict protocol as the Whole30. She has had a quadruple bypass, has diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and I have thyroid and arthritis. 

Just checking back in....apparently the girls are dominating the discussion so I'll try to inject a little testosterone to the mix lol.

So far, I'm on day 20 and have been cruising along with my food. My 2 biggest challenges have been trying to figure out how much, when, and what to eat around my workouts and that I came down with a nasty cold that knocked me on my butt for a week!

This halted my workouts but actually helped me to get more in tune with my body's reaction to the changes so in a way it helped. I decided that I would focus on getting over the hump and then re start my workouts. I think I was guilty of the NYE resolution process and trying to do too much too fast. So that's where I am now. Feeling good and "in the zone" and workouts starting back up at end of the week.

Sounds like everyone else is getting by OK?

And wth happened to the guy who started this thread???? Lol

Just checking back in....apparently the girls are dominating the discussion so I'll try to inject a little testosterone to the mix lol.

So far, I'm on day 20 and have been cruising along with my food. My 2 biggest challenges have been trying to figure out how much, when, and what to eat around my workouts and that I came down with a nasty cold that knocked me on my butt for a week!

This halted my workouts but actually helped me to get more in tune with my body's reaction to the changes so in a way it helped. I decided that I would focus on getting over the hump and then re start my workouts. I think I was guilty of the NYE resolution process and trying to do too much too fast. So that's where I am now. Feeling good and "in the zone" and workouts starting back up at end of the week.

Impressive that you stuck with the program even when you were sick! Glad to see you're on the mend and doing well.

Impressive that you stuck with the program even when you were sick! Glad to see you're on the mend and doing well.

My perspective: there is no "right or wrong" reason for undertaking any course of action, including following a program such as this.

Obviously people have different reasons and as I read through the thread there are many with medical issues, others trying to break bad habits, yet others just trying to be the best version of themselves. However, I don't view this as a "crutch" but rather a process by which people can figure out what works for them.

In my case, I view my whole90 as a regimen to help me lose weight. I am in perfect health (outside of being over weight) and have yo-yo'd over the years. Part of my "problem" is that I have a short attention span and I seek immediate results when it comes to my weight. It is too easy for me to blow off workouts (see above) because I generally feel good despite my weight.

I have followed various "diet plans" over the years and have always incrementally gained the weight back. I can lose weight quickly but then gain it back over time as my activity decreases.

Until I found whole30. While I have always suspected that there was something wrong with the food we eat whether it's GMO, or sugar or goofy wheat etc, I had misconceptions about what the problems was. My line if thinking was that carbs are the problem and I couldn't have been more wrong! After doing my first whole30 in a half assed manner (was supporting my wife) I realized that there was a better way.

Now I don't plan on using this as a "crutch" for the rest of my life but I now have better info to what I should and shouldn't be ingesting on a regular basis.

In general, my lifestyle would be considered not healthy-- a lot of eating out, entertain clients, and drinking. And I don't plan to quit that. But now I can make better choices and still indulge from time to time.

Once I hit my goal weight, it is a lot easier to maintain though diet and exercise than it is to lose all the weihht in the first place. And 90 days should get me to my goal, so that's my plan.

Thanks! I basically "souped" it for a week. That is converted all of my meals to a soup!

Instead of zoodles and meatballs, it became meatball, veggie, kale soup!

Instead of chix stir fry, it became Asian inspired chix soup!

Tacos? U guessed it? Mexican pork soup!

Steak? Mock Vietnamese Pho.

Was actually a pretty good week...

For those who do not have a veggie spiralizer, I highly recommend getting one.

Thanks! I basically "souped" it for a week. That is converted all of my meals to a soup!

Instead of zoodles and meatballs, it became meatball, veggie, kale soup!

Instead of chix stir fry, it became Asian inspired chix soup!

Tacos? U guessed it? Mexican pork soup!

Steak? Mock Vietnamese Pho.

Was actually a pretty good week...

For those who do not have a veggie spiralizer, I highly recommend getting one.

I do not have one and I will be getting one. Thanks!

Got to say coming into third week is the worst time for me. I get sick of the restriction without actually craving anything specific which sounds weird. I don't feel right digestively speaking either. I am aware that my over reliance on certain foods such as eggs, nuts, and coconut are now a problem I need to address as is the eventual need to give up Nightshades for a period of time. The truth is, I am not about to give these up while on a W30 for obvious reasons but I do want to point out that for me, my W30 has created some issues that need to be addressed. 

I am struggling with the morning and afternoon meals. Leftovers are never a possibility in my house which would go a long way towards sticking to the meal templates, a problem for me, especially for breakfast. This is just one area I struggle with.

• Administrators

Got to say coming into third week is the worst time for me. I get sick of the restriction without actually craving anything specific which sounds weird. I don't feel right digestively speaking either. I am aware that my over reliance on certain foods such as eggs, nuts, and coconut are now a problem I need to address as is the eventual need to give up Nightshades for a period of time. The truth is, I am not about to give these up while on a W30 for obvious reasons but I do want to point out that for me, my W30 has created some issues that need to be addressed. 

Just curious why you don't want to limit or eliminate eggs, nuts or coconut if you know it's bothering you, digestively? Nuts are really common for causing digestive issues, depending on how many you're eating, you might want to consider just putting those aside and seeing if you feel better?

If you want to feel better about the whole thing,

Eat this for breakfast:

A petit filet with a fried egg and an avocado on top,

and a spinach salad with citrus.

You might wonder why anyone would ever start the day any other way.

I'm not an egg guy so breakfast is a challenge for me as well.

I eat a compliant bacon or chix sausage and some sort of potato or sweet potato. Avocado and fruit as well. Mix and match

Just curious why you don't want to limit or eliminate eggs, nuts or coconut if you know it's bothering you, digestively? Nuts are really common for causing digestive issues, depending on how many you're eating, you might want to consider just putting those aside and seeing if you feel better?

I seem to be running into the trap of sometimes these things are all there is to eat in the moment due to either poor planning, getting stuck without good options, OR being tired of eating the other options available. The other issue is I seem to get a bit pissy when my focus switches to what I cannot have and the mental hissy fit that goes along with that focus. In those moments, I psychologically crash. 

Last W30 I actually did put eggs and nuts on the shelf for awhile due to bothersome issues. Now I can also add avocado to the list. That particular food is a mainstay on the W30 and I LOVE them but have noticed that over eating them can be problematic for me. I suppose we are not meant to be so limited with food choices. Anecdotally speaking, this has definitely been the case for me.

My goal for the remainder of this go around (day19 for me) is to widen my scope with new foods. That takes a new level of planning that I have not yet committed to.

I am struggling with the morning and afternoon meals. Leftovers are never a possibility in my house which would go a long way towards sticking to the meal templates, a problem for me, especially for breakfast. This is just one area I struggle with.

I know what you mean about over relying on things. I am eating way too many seeds at night, basically for something to do with my hands. And Avocado is easy for me to overeat too. I have to make a concerted effort to limit my intake per day. I know it's good fat and good for us, but if I'm left to my own devices, I'll eat more than one whole avocado a day and then wonder why I'm gaining! One plus for me though is that I'm now drinking less coffee and it's black....which sort of rhymes with blek! 

I know what you mean about over relying on things. I am eating way too many seeds at night, basically for something to do with my hands. And Avocado is easy for me to overeat too. I have to make a concerted effort to limit my intake per day. I know it's good fat and good for us, but if I'm left to my own devices, I'll eat more than one whole avocado a day and then wonder why I'm gaining! One plus for me though is that I'm now drinking less coffee and it's black....which sort of rhymes with blek! 

Ditto on the nuts/seeds at night. I actually tracked how many days I have been doing that since this W30 started and I decided to stop starting tonight. It's making me cranky but I am going to make sure I eat enough at dinner to satisfy, another of my past issues. 

When I drink my coffee black, it makes me not want it as much. I can still drink it that way but it is a a great auto-regulation tool.

• Administrators

Ditto on the nuts/seeds at night. I actually tracked how many days I have been doing that since this W30 started and I decided to stop starting tonight. It's making me cranky but I am going to make sure I eat enough at dinner to satisfy, another of my past issues. 

Remind yourself, when it gets really cranky-feeling, that it's acceptable to feel those feelings. It's ok to be mad and resentful and pissy about it.  You can just feel those feelings and they will pass.  :)  You can do this!  This is the "changing relationship with food" part that sounds so romantic but is actually where the hard work actually lies.

When I drink my coffee black, it makes me not want it as much. I can still drink it that way but it is a a great auto-regulation tool.

Right you are! I'll be cutting down on those too. I used to eat cough drop after cough drop at night, mostly for the flavor. Yep, addicted to Hall's cherry cough drops! So, I substituted with seeds, but that's being over done too. Rats!

Last night I stayed away from the nuts after dinner and felt like 100 times better about myself. I made sure to load up on spaghetti squash, salad and compliant sausage.

This morning I ate leftover spaghetti squash with homemade bolognese sauce and eggs for meal 1. What a difference from when I eat coconut flakes with flaxmeal, chia, hemp, and nut butter. Sticking to the meal templates have been my greatest challenge but I notice a great difference when I do.

• Administrators

Last night I stayed away from the nuts after dinner and felt like 100 times better about myself. I made sure to load up on spaghetti squash, salad and compliant sausage.

This morning I ate leftover spaghetti squash with homemade bolognese sauce and eggs for meal 1. What a difference from when I eat coconut flakes with flaxmeal, chia, hemp, and nut butter. Sticking to the meal templates have been my greatest challenge but I notice a great difference when I do.

I'm doing a happy dance for you right now!  You just taught yourself the greatest lesson of all!!!!!!!!!!!  :D :D :D

Archived