Aussie Whole30

praxisproject

I had planned on starting earlier in the month but had too many things to do before I could start, so I'm starting Monday 4th of January. I might go longer than 30 days, we'll see.

Feeling a bit nervous about this Whole30. Last year was a rough year, after success earlier in the year (almost getting off cortisone), I had complications after surgery, foot injuries, not enough sleep and lack of kitchen access have left me feeling a lot less healthy. But, new year, house is back to normal (mostly, kitchen still needs a bit of work) so it's time to get back on track :) I may have adrenal fatigue/insufficiency (still doing tests but likely triggered by the surgery and lack of sleep last year) and currently have a minor ear infection. Just feeling a little uncertain, but I know I won't feel any worse after a Whole30, so doing it again! :D

On the plus side of ongoing progress, my sunburn scar is getting closer to gone and my muscles are doing well, no muscle wasting during my hellish year and I think my gut has improved a lot. I was able to tolerate some dairy without getting noticeably sick, but overall, I think it's continued to be a health minus, so it's a no-go again, but I am pleased with the improvement in my tolerance levels as I think it's due to my healthier gut. On the insights front, the adrenal issues were a relief to identify in tests as I had been feeling really off and couldn't explain what felt wrong.

Focus areas for health this year are routines, inflammation (almost off cortisone completely, had an emergency dose for my ear while the doctors were away over the holidays - once I'm off cortisone I will be 100% prescription medication free!  :D ), adrenal health, ear health, foot recovery, fitness and weight loss. I feel getting rid of the cortisone will help with both the adrenals, fitness and weight loss, so will be really trying to avoid it from now on, for the rest of the year B)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 1

Meal 1:
4 organic free range eggs scrambled with olive oil, himalayan salt & black pepper.
Zucchini, purple onion, cherry tomatoes, red capsicum cooked in olive oil.
Organic raspberries & coconut butter.

Tea: Pukka - Detox with lemon 

I'm going coffee free this Whole30, to help with my adrenal healing, so going to log my tea too.

This tea really surprised me, I really like the taste, it's very restful somehow.

Meal 2:
King Island grassfed beef eye fillet, cooked in ghee
Zucchini, purple onion, cherry tomatoes, red capsicum cooked in ghee

Organic blueberries

Tea: Pukka - Lemongrass & Ginger

Same veggies but OMG, so much better in ghee (steak was amazing too).

This one is a keeper.

[edit: when I opened my steak pack it looked a bit larger than I was expecting, so I cooked it all but didn't serve it all up, but I was hungry later and ate the rest - note to self, the original plan was fine]

TotalGym put back together and back in action  :D  B)  Took it easy as it's been far too long, possibly over a year?!!  :o  Not sure.

60 Leg squats, Level 4.

Had more legs left, but feet were sore, not pushing it since they've been healing nicely.

Time to make dinner!

How are you travelling without the coffee? I'm finding I miss sitting with a warm cup of something, I've tried herbal tea's and I'm drinking a peach one right now but it just doesn't have the same comfort factor a coffee does.

We have a kick arse butcher here with all grass fed, organic or biodynamic meat and he smokes all his own bacon, it definitely tastes woody and different.

Thanks! Have you had luck finding compliant bacon? Even our free range butcher puts sugar in his nitrate free bacon. 

I actually found some this time (my first ever I think) but it's very local, not sure you'd find it up there. Rendina's make it, but lots of their stuff is also not compliant, so read carefully.

How are you travelling without the coffee? I'm finding I miss sitting with a warm cup of something, I've tried herbal tea's and I'm drinking a peach one right now but it just doesn't have the same comfort factor a coffee does.

We have a kick arse butcher here with all grass fed, organic or biodynamic meat and he smokes all his own bacon, it definitely tastes woody and different.

I'm doing okay, but I went off it a little before starting, so not expecting any withdrawals. I used to be a major coffee addict when I was a shift worker, sometimes more than 12 cups a day (even on a 12 hour shift, this is WAY too much coffee!) so it can be quit! :) I found after I stopped loading it with dairy I really didn't want it as much. When I do have coffee it's with Ayam coconut milk or fresh almond, macadamia or hazelnut milk. If any Aussies are looking for safe instant coffee (some have loads of garbage!) Moccona plain is fine, pure coffee, no additives. Plus if you wash the jars, they're great for mayo (the tiny ones are great to put in a bag).

I am in love with English Tea Shop and Pukka teas, but I rarely like black tea at all, but love white tea and like some green tea.

Get lots of really great meat down here in Melbourne now, either that or I'm better at finding it :D

Meal 2:
Chicken breast in ghee & Cholula hot sauce (yum!!!) with mixed lettuce, olive oil and a larger than usual piece of rockmelon.

Tea: Kombucha - Mojo Raspberry Passion

Didn't eat as much for lunch as expected, if hungry before dinner I will add a mini meal.

I roasted a chicken today and if I do say so myself, it was totally awesome :D I actually forgot to stuff it with half a lemon and onion like I usually do, but it came out great. Used only ghee and olive oil on the chicken.

Meal 3:

Roast organic chicken with roasted onions, roasted carrots and roasted white potatoes (in ghee, olive oil and duck fat, salt and pepper).

Organic strawberries (these were so much better than the conventional ones I had recently! yay for local growers)

Snack:

I think I took too long nibbling my strawberries, was a bit hungry after and I think it's because I had them without any fat.

Nibbled a few toasted coconut chips and activated hazelnuts and the hunger settled down again.

Tea: Pukka - Wild Apple & Cinnamon

Keeping my chicken bones to make bone broth. Will be cooking chicken wings this week too, so that should give me enough bones for a batch :D

Day 3

Meal 1:

4 eggs scrambled in olive oil, black pepper and salt.

Huge bag of chopped kale, cooked in leftover chicken fat/ghee and olive oil - yum!!! :D

Larger than usual piece of rockmelon - last of the beautiful organic rockmelon, omg it was yum :)

Tea: English Tea Shop - Apple Rosehip Raspberry Ripple

Meal 3:

Leftover chicken red curry with coconut cream, carrot, beans, broccoli, bamboo shoots (thank goodness for leftovers, was too tired to cook)

Roasted Macadamia butter & organic seedless grapes

So sleepy last night I couldn't even log, went to bed early. Sleep was a bit restless, sweaty. Got a good sleep in though, a bit over 8 hours.

Day 4

Meal 1:

4 eggs scrambled with black pepper, salt and olive oil

3 pieces of Canadian style compliant bacon (they're just the round part, no rasher)

Pack of fresh green beans, pan fried in olive oil until a bit brown and crispy (didn't top or tail them and didn't notice any textures I didn't like)

Tea: Higher Living - Cocoa and Chilli

Supplements: Yes (with 1 litre of water)

Note: Realised I have not been remembering my supplements from naturopath :o  :huh:  Not entirely sure when I stopped taking them, but making a note here so I remember when I started again. I have to take both liquid (powder mixed in liquid) and tablets with each meal.

2nd Note: I realised it's been since I started Whole30, silly me. So it's been 3 days skipped.

Meal 3:

Chicken wings! :D baked with ghee, Frank's Red Hot and olive oil. Okay, technically there were those other non-wing nibbles too but my favourite is the wings. Lots of wings, maybe too many but I often crave this around this time of the Whole30.

Iceberg lettuce

Pan fried organic banana in olive oil - this is really awesome, thank goodness for on sale organic bananas or I would never have tried them :wub:

Supplements: NO (forgot)

Drink: Schweppes Natural Mineral Water - Lime Infused

Meal 3:

Chicken wings! :D baked with ghee, Frank's Red Hot and olive oil. Okay, technically there were those other non-wing nibbles too but my favourite is the wings. Lots of wings, maybe too many but I often crave this around this time of the Whole30.

Iceberg lettuce

Pan fried organic banana in olive oil - this is really awesome, thank goodness for on sale organic bananas or I would never have tried them :wub:

Drink: Schweppes Natural Mineral Water - Lime Infused

ooh, what's this Frank's red hot stuff then? Is it local? 

Archived