Jan 2016 Start Date - Calling all over 50 folks!

Kathikay

i'm on day 3 and i've already had to take a nap this morning! not too much brain fog (or rather no more than normal!) but i do feel that sluggishness they mention in the book. but other than that none the worse for wear so far. today is all leftovers. i followed the recipes in the 7-day plan for two days and it was so much food i don't have to cook today at all! i've also been drinking my bone broth, which is pretty weak (but still nice to drink). i've been reading some bone broth threads on here and i've found a local highly-rated butcher (and i'm in cow country so it's local beef) where i can get the kind of bones that make more potent stuff, and i'm going to let it simmer for a few days instead of just 24 hours. last night i roasted some sweet potatoes along with regular potatoes for the 7-day dinner for day 2. omg. who needs candy?! i thought i died and went to heaven. 

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Foggy and tired today on day 5. Going to treat myself to a sweet potato tonight. Haven't had any hunger issues this time around. Sometimes in the first week I would feel hungry between lunch and dinner, but not having that issue so far this time round. Bought some chicken thighs and I'm going to try Kathikay's garlic and lemon roast up, sounds great. 

hi folks -- day 4 dawning clear and bright. had massive brain fog late yesterday afternoon, so now i see the difference between that and my "normal" brain fog  B) ...but so far today feeling pretty clear-headed. i'm still working through my leftovers, believe it or not! i'll cook tonight (salmon and sauteed veggies) but i have another day of lunches after today for sure. still mystified by the difference between what the recipes consider "serves two" and the meal template (a palm-sized serving of protein). it's a big disconnect. yesterday morning i ate a good-sized portion of the italian meat/tomato sauce over spaghetti squash with a fried egg over it (as per day 2 breakfast on the 7-day plan) plus my grapefruit (so addicted to texas ruby-red grapefruit!) at 9 and i still wasn't hungry by 2 pm. and there's still a full-sized (my size anyway!) serving left of the meat sauce. today i made a 2-egg scramble with sauteed leftover roasted potatoes, baby kale and garlic (yum) with pre-made compliant sundried tomato/garlic pesto, with orange bell pepper slices on the side. yum. now it's to work i go (i'm a freelance editor so that means to my home office) and let's hope the brain fog holds off till i finish today's project!

As with last time, I have trouble after dinner. Even if I had a gorgeous meal that I completely enjoyed and feel full and well fed, I get an intrusive "is that all there is" feeling. I can distract myself with this or that, but I know I have to fight off that feeling until it goes away. That is the biggest rut I have to climb out of. It's dark. It's deep. It's dirty and it messes me up.

I made myself some bulletproof coffee this morning... a double shot of espresso with coconut oil and ghee, whizzed with an immersion blender. It's the best.

• Administrators

hi folks -- day 4 dawning clear and bright. had massive brain fog late yesterday afternoon, so now i see the difference between that and my "normal" brain fog  B) ...but so far today feeling pretty clear-headed. i'm still working through my leftovers, believe it or not! i'll cook tonight (salmon and sauteed veggies) but i have another day of lunches after today for sure. still mystified by the difference between what the recipes consider "serves two" and the meal template (a palm-sized serving of protein). it's a big disconnect. yesterday morning i ate a good-sized portion of the italian meat/tomato sauce over spaghetti squash with a fried egg over it (as per day 2 breakfast on the 7-day plan) plus my grapefruit (so addicted to texas ruby-red grapefruit!) at 9 and i still wasn't hungry by 2 pm. and there's still a full-sized (my size anyway!) serving left of the meat sauce. today i made a 2-egg scramble with sauteed leftover roasted potatoes, baby kale and garlic (yum) with pre-made compliant sundried tomato/garlic pesto, with orange bell pepper slices on the side. yum. now it's to work i go (i'm a freelance editor so that means to my home office) and let's hope the brain fog holds off till i finish today's project!

I think you're doing fine. Make sure that you are still eating three meals though, around 4-5 hours apart and starting within an hour of waking.

And just to clarify, the meal template is a range for the protein portion size; 1-2 palm servings.  I'll have to dig my book out and take a look at their meal plan and see what it says.  

For perspective, my husband and I recently had a cabbage, green bean and ground beef curry that contained an entire bag of shredded cabbage, 1# of green beans, 3 cups of coconut milk and 2# of ground beef.  It was dinner for the two of us, both of our lunches the next day and one more serving to throw on a salad for me today. So that's him eating probably about half pound of meat at each meal and me eating about a third of a pound at each meal, plus veggies & coconut milk.  And we weren't stuffed by any stretch....and we're not huge people.

As with last time, I have trouble after dinner. Even if I had a gorgeous meal that I completely enjoyed and feel full and well fed, I get an intrusive "is that all there is" feeling. I can distract myself with this or that, but I know I have to fight off that feeling until it goes away. That is the biggest rut I have to climb out of. It's dark. It's deep. It's dirty and it messes me up.

I made myself some bulletproof coffee this morning... a double shot of espresso with coconut oil and ghee, whizzed with an immersion blender. It's the best.

My problem area too!  I'm so used to a sweet at night while I read.  My dinners are fabulous and I'm not 'hungry'....just want that sweet thang!   Found some nice Wild Orange Tea from Starbucks that I love...it helps.  On to Day 5 for me!  Feeling pretty good.  Sleeping great and have a sense of calm that I haven't had in some time.  (Usually going in 10 different directions).  My brain must be happy and well fed!

Schedule

Macadamia Nut crusted Mahi for dinner.  Make this all the time...Whole 30 or not.  Works great on chicken too!

Brush your fish or chicken with compliant Dijon.  Top with chopped Macadamia nuts.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes and dinner done!  Bet this would be good with almonds or pecans....we can have pecans right?

Schedule

Macadamia Nut crusted Mahi for dinner.  Make this all the time...Whole 30 or not.  Works great on chicken too!

Brush your fish or chicken with compliant Dijon.  Top with chopped Macadamia nuts.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes and dinner done!  Bet this would be good with almonds or pecans....we can have pecans right?

Schedule

omg goddess!!!! thank you, recipe queen!!! that's three out of three of yours i'm noting down to try :)

I think you're doing fine. Make sure that you are still eating three meals though, around 4-5 hours apart and starting within an hour of waking.

And just to clarify, the meal template is a range for the protein portion size; 1-2 palm servings.  I'll have to dig my book out and take a look at their meal plan and see what it says.  

For perspective, my husband and I recently had a cabbage, green bean and ground beef curry that contained an entire bag of shredded cabbage, 1# of green beans, 3 cups of coconut milk and 2# of ground beef.  It was dinner for the two of us, both of our lunches the next day and one more serving to throw on a salad for me today. So that's him eating probably about half pound of meat at each meal and me eating about a third of a pound at each meal, plus veggies & coconut milk.  And we weren't stuffed by any stretch....and we're not huge people.

thanks SO much, ladyshanny! this really helps! i am managing three meals...have yet to eat within an hour of waking b/c right now i'm on transportation duty to get my granddaughter to school and my daughter to a quick morning bunnysitting gig. but i eat within an hour and a half of waking...which is far better than sitting in my reading chair drinking cup after cup of irish breakfast tea with gobs of sugar in it and getting around to breakfast at noon  :P .... i'll ease in to getting up earlier or something...

Day 5 and I am feeling left out.  I don't have any headaches and I am not hungry between meals (with one exception and I had some turkey carcass soup with an avocado instead of a fruit snack which is what I would have done before) and I am sleeping great!. Perhaps I didn't offroad as bad as I thought. The two biggest challenges for me are:  1) no eggs for breakfast.  Remember I am doing an AIP Whole 30. I have found some great recipes but just not the same; 2) not looking for something to crunch on - like plantain chips or the latest new paleo cracker.  I love the salty savory crunch.  I am over the sweet stuff. Of course I don't have any of it in the house so I just have a cup of tea in the evening - peppermint and chamomile with lavender.  Very nice.  And the best is to get into a hot bath right before bed.  Awesome!

Still eating on my left over Italian Pork Roast that I cooked earlier in the week.  Next I am going to try chicken livers.  I found some pastured chicken livers through US Wellness Meats.  I will fry one package first.  Next I will make some pate.  Yummm!

I work at home but have two dogs, one a puppy and they both need attention so that gets me up and walking them several times a day.

Keep going strong!  I know it will be worth it for all of us.

Hmmm. I'll bet the macadamia nut crusted Mahi would go well with the sun dried tomato pesto. Good luck with those chicken livers - I actually cooked and ate the liver from the organic turkey giblets this year - a first - and it was good. I'm still powering through my yearning for dessert after dinner.

I remember eating liver as a child due to low iron- I do not think I could do it again since my mom forced me! Very bloated which is weird since I have my broccoli soup since that keeps things moving along☺. Perhaps I am overeating and not drinking enough water. I have to say all these posts keep me going. My son has a $20 bet that I can't do this.

I remember eating liver as a child due to low iron- I do not think I could do it again since my mom forced me! Very bloated which is weird since I have my broccoli soup since that keeps things moving along☺. Perhaps I am overeating and not drinking enough water. I have to say all these posts keep me going. My son has a $20 bet that I can't do this.

That would be the best 20 bucks ever!!  I get bloated too because of all the veggies.  Last round I had such bad cramps I got sick....literally!  This time I'm drinking tons of water and so far so good!

Schedule

omg goddess!!!! thank you, recipe queen!!! that's three out of three of yours i'm noting down to try :)

I actually  have a food blog (didn't want to mention it because i didn't start this thread to promote...I just need support!).  But you can find me at laughing spatula.com where I have a plethora of whole30 recipes!  If there is one thing I know...it's how to eat:).

Schedule

Good Morning Wise Whole30ers!!

Havent checked in for a few days. Not only did I want to kill all the things - I've had a week straight out of He**. You know the week - one thing leads to another and then another thing gets thrown in there??? The universe reminding you to be grateful and that life can always go south quickly, yeah, one of those weeks.

However, I have stuck with the program this week!!! So even though it's be a rough one I am very proud of myself for not having that adult beverage (whiskey) that I wanted so badly last evening!! I haven't lived up to my exercise expectations this week, but I forgive myself (which is also a big step for me)

We have gotten through the first week and I'm proud of all of us. I love the Rocky theme for motivation and going to borrow that one, if I may :)

As we go into the weekend, does anyone have any words of wisdom and/or support? I find Friday night thru Saturday evening are my weakest times and when I most likely to give in to food and drink. How are you planning to stay focused this weekend??

Thanks all - have a wonderful day :)

Peace

My problem area too!  I'm so used to a sweet at night while I read.  My dinners are fabulous and I'm not 'hungry'....just want that sweet thang!   Found some nice Wild Orange Tea from Starbucks that I love...it helps.  On to Day 5 for me!  Feeling pretty good.  Sleeping great and have a sense of calm that I haven't had in some time.  (Usually going in 10 different directions).  My brain must be happy and well fed!

Schedule

For those of you craving something sweet try upping the fat content in your meals, and if a craving strikes that won;t disappear with a distraction technique grab a handful of olives or a spoonful of coconut oil - fat gives the brain the same dopamine hit as sugar, so you'll get all of the pleasure with none of the pain...

Another tactic is to 'finish' a meal with something bitter or pickled as this will cleanse the palette - try something like sauerkraut or olives, or simply clean your teeth and tell your brain that you're done eating for now.

Keep up the good work!

why do all my posts say "Schedule" at the end? 

I thought maybe it was some kind of secret code! :P

I'm doing ok here. Day 8 today, and hanging in there. I keep reminding myself that pretty soon, I'll really get the benefit of doing all this!

jmcbn, thanks for the great sugar craving ideas! Does coconut butter work for that too? I've never had it, but I wonder if it would make the whole sugar situation worse, as it's sounds TOO good...

Does coconut butter work for that too? I've never had it, but I wonder if it would make the whole sugar situation worse, as it's sounds TOO good...

Lots of people use it but I've a feeling it might be a bit like a nut butter - too easy to become a food with no brakes - that said I've never tried it so I guess it depends on your current 'relationship status'...  ;)  :P

why do all my posts say "Schedule" at the end?

I have no idea... Let's ask the calling all under 30 folks! Sorry you had such a rough week, TCans. I find weekends easier than weekdays because I'm retiring in a couple of months and in the process of disengaging from my job. But I have tough times too, and when I'm having trouble I schedule pleasure - a serious hike with the dog off the leash, a bath, a great meal and a book work for me. I'm planning to try something from the laughing spatula blog this weekend. And after dinner, when the craving for you know what hits me, I'm going to brush my teeth.

Day 5 and still alive!  Wouldn't that make a  nice tattoo?  But then I"d need one for day 6, 7...etc.  

Agree with TCans, the weekend is here and I'm a bit nervous.  It is usually filled with at least 2 restaurants and several glasses of my favorite chardy. It's our daughters bday on sunday and where is the party?  In wine country just outside of Seattle at one of my fave restaurants..ugh.   I've already got my strategy worked out as well as my lunch order and am feeling strong.  My husband is so supportive and has been going along with me..not perfectly , he is at about 80/20. 80 percent Whole30 and 20 percent wine and cookies :).  But I sure appreciate it.    He has offered to ice tea it with me at our daughters party.  Now if that isn't love what is!

So if I post this and it says 'schedule' at the bottom...just know that it isn't a secret code (that was funny)...it's just one more way I am technically challenged!  I am not posting from a smart phone...just my MAC.   No idea why that always shows up...I guess it's my 'signature'.

Have a great weekend guys - 3 more and we will be celebrating our wonderfulness!  

For those of you craving something sweet try upping the fat content in your meals, and if a craving strikes that won;t disappear with a distraction technique grab a handful of olives or a spoonful of coconut oil - fat gives the brain the same dopamine hit as sugar, so you'll get all of the pleasure with none of the pain...

Another tactic is to 'finish' a meal with something bitter or pickled as this will cleanse the palette - try something like sauerkraut or olives, or simply clean your teeth and tell your brain that you're done eating for now.

Keep up the good work!

I love the idea of finishing a meal with something bitter or pickled!  Going to give that a try tonite...those sweet cravings right after meal 3 are hard.  I find myself going to the apple and nut butter which is really just a sub for my usual cookies!  Thanks for the great advice!

Schedule

Hello! New to the forum. I started on the first, so this is day 8 for me. I was feeling no different until the afternoon of day seven, and then I began to feel foggy and drained of energy. Today I am a slug. And a stay at home mom to a tween and a toddler. LOL. Fun. Seems late in the timeline for the food withdrawal fatigue - anyone else struggling after a week with energy?

Okay, folks I am over 50 and finishing up day 19. My husband and I are both doing this, which makes it easier. Overall, we both feel really good. Right now, this very minute, I am a bit tired of it all. I don't want to  think about dinner and just eat whatever is around. Which is not much, sadly, since we are Whole30 and need to go to the store. But, my mantra the past couple of days is "DO NOT CAVE!"

I have lost weight, we have not been bloated, we are eating clean food. We are not snacking hardly at all. We are staying compliant with the food. Although we have had a couple of occasions of apple/almond butter overload. But, this is such a huge improvement over where we were 20 days ago.

I am working out more. Started a barre class yesterday evening and it was heavenly. Highly recommend it! My energy level is improving and my sleep is deep. I have had crazy dreams. Not sure why that is.

Lets keep it up and I will not cave. Not sure how we will transition to post W30, but we have time to plan for that.

Best to you all

Archived