Pre post workout

Chrisslp

The general rule of thumb with morning training sessions is still that you should be eating *something* within an hour of wakening, so if your cardio session will take you beyond that one hour window I'd maybe opt for a small preWO. If you're up & out the door & done in 45mins then a small postWO should be fine.

Re the afternoon session I tend to just up the protein & fat content of my earlier meal, then skip the preWO, take a postWO immediately upon finishing & then follow up with meal three when I get home.

Bear in mind that your pre & postWO meals are not full sized meals.

I just cant stomach a potato at 4am.

The starchy veg are for POST WO - and any starchy veg will do as listed above.

If your 4am refers to PRE WO then you're looking for a protein & fat - a boiled egg is pretty popular with a dollop of mayo or guac. If you soft boil the egg it's much easier on the digestive system. Other than that any animal protein will work  :)

I've been reading several posts regarding the best pre/post-workout food, and I'm clear about the recomendations, but not clear on the "why". Why no fruit pre-or post? Why no carbs pre WO? It would help me to relate this recomedation to all the science presented in "It Starts with Food" - Thanks!

I've been reading several posts regarding the best pre/post-workout food, and I'm clear about the recomendations, but not clear on the "why". Why no fruit pre-or post? Why no carbs pre WO? It would help me to relate this recomedation to all the science presented in "It Starts with Food" - Thanks!

Fruit replaces liver glycogen when you want to be replacing muscle glycogen post WO.

100% of the Carbs (& therefore fruit) you eat will be turned into energy and this happens within about 30mins of consuming carbs. If you consume carbs before your workout your body will have a fresh supply available for burning throughout your work-out when what you want to be doing is depleting your glycogen stores & encouraging your body to tap into its fat stores for fuel. Eating fruit/veg preWO is counter productive.

Archived