Pumping working moms and supply dips

I am a mother to a nine month old (and two older kids).  I work full time so I spend a lot of time pumping.  I also pump about 15 extra ounces a day that I donate to another baby.  I would say that my body needs to produce about 40 ounces a day to meet the output I had pre-Whole 30. 

I have done three Whole 30s before and my supply ALWAYS dipped.  This time, I was determined to keep eating so that it did not happen.  I also ate two servings of fruit each day for the first week, because I thought I could "wean" my body off the sugar a little slower to see if that would help my supply stay consistent. 

Well, it's happening.  (Today is Day 8.)  I am eating A TON.  I am not eating four meals, but my three meals contain double the protein and fat that I would normally eat.  My daily output is going down, and I am upset.  I know I have enough milk to feed my own daughter, but I have another baby who counts on my milk, and I feel terrible. 

I am now calling my plan a "modified Whole 30," because I weighed myself yesterday too see if I was losing weight super fast.  With milk supply, losing weight is really my only indicator as to how my calorie intake is so I had to do it.  My weight has actually gone up since I started this round so I know I am getting enough calories.  (I am 5'8", 150 pounds so not underweight.)  I am wondering if I should just modify the entire plan and add unsweetened oatmeal to breakfast to see if that helps.  I really don't want to, though. 

I am reaching out to see if any other primarily pumping moms have seen a dip in supply after about a week of Whole 30.  Is there something inherent about weaning off sugar that makes the body produce less milk?  I am a pretty clean eater normally but did eat a lot of junk over the holidays. 

I think I posted this same topic a few years ago.  I just wonder if there is anything I can do.  I will add in some fenugreek, but I know it makes my nursling gassy. 

Any input is appreciated!

Here's a sample of what I eat:

Upon waking -- nuts and a banana or some coconut milk and chia

Breakfast (two hours later) -- shredded pork, whole avocado, salad with Tessame's dressing, half a baked sweet potato with tahini

Lunch -- Chicken coconut curry (made with coconut cream, carrots, potatoes and bell peppers) and cauliflower rice made with lots of coconut oil

Dinner -- shredded pork with homemade BBQ, sweet potato, whole avocado, bowl of fruit

These portions are HUGE.  There are not enough hours in the day to add an extra meal! 

• Administrators

If you're not wanting to add another meal, can you consider sipping on coconut milk, eating whole avocados with a spoon, eating cans of olives etc? Blopping homemade mayo on everything? You need to get your fat up (nuts are not an ideal way to do this).  Your fat portions are on the high end of normal for someone who is not nursing. You could probably benefit from more. Also, what's your water intake like? Sodium?

I don't pretend to know anything about milk supply but there are common denominators in many people when they do a Whole30 and that is: thinking they are eating more than they really are, not getting enough fat for their context, not drinking enough water and not salting their food.  I can't say whether these tweaks will help, but worth a try?

Thank you!  I feel like I am eating so much fat, but I will keep eating more.  And, I will salt away!  Thankfully, I am like a bottomless pit.  :)

I drink a ton of water.  Often it's sparkling water (with no additives, I understand about that), but I get at least 100 ounces a day, and often more. 

• Administrators

Thank you!  I feel like I am eating so much fat, but I will keep eating more.  And, I will salt away!  Thankfully, I am like a bottomless pit.  :)

I drink a ton of water.  Often it's sparkling water (with no additives, I understand about that), but I get at least 100 ounces a day, and often more. 

One other thing I didn't mention is that you could include a root veggie (yam, potato, carrot, beet, turnip etc) with every meal, at least fist sized.  Your energy expenditures are vast when you are nursing/pumping even though it might not feel like it.  Get as calorically dense as you can for now.

I'm having the same issue and I have a 10 month old. 

I was pumping 8 oz during the night and it's droped down to 4. I have used oatmeal in the past asl well as some paleo lactation cookies (louisianabrideblog.com) but I can't technically make the cookies because they contain coconut sugar. That's the only non compliant food in them. I'm tempted to make some just to boost my supply without eating oatmeal. Breawer's Yeast usually does pretty well for me, but I only have the powder and it tastes too bitter to not add a sweetner to the cookie. 

(When I did a Whole30 over the summer I don't recall having this issue, I had an oversupply and it just knocked it down some. Now with a baby who is nursing for less time I think the food/pressure being put on my body combo is what's killing me.)

• 5 weeks later...

First of all, pumping an extra 15 ounces a day is  LOT. Most moms on regular diets have difficulty keeping up with their own child's needs. So you have done amazing!

Second of all, I totally think extra sugar increases supply, and reducing sugar reduces supply. I was W30 for 6+ months after my daughter's birth and my supply was good (good genes I think) but I also ate a LOT of fruit. I pumped an extra 4-5 ounces a day that I froze. Over the holidays I decided to indulge in sweets several times and my supply shot up.

I would recommend increasing your fruit intake. I ate usually 3-5 servings of fruit every day. Just remember, you're not a typical W30-er who needs to be mindful of fruit intake for sugar dragon issues. You are a lactating woman, producing milk for TWO babies! Extra fruit will not hurt you and it's not like it isn't W30 compliant. I ate every kind of fruit under the sun, and I think it was what was best for my baby and me.

Archived