WholeLent 2016 - starting February 10th.

angledge

Okay guys I'm getting overwhelmed. I'm looking at everything I should do to prep for next week but I am literally busy every single day until then. Suggestions for how to get started next week without breaking this right away due to lack of time to prep? Any suggestions please!

As for shopping- make a list- this will save you time in the store. 

Do you have time to cook dinner one night? I suggest making a big batch of well-fed chocolate chili. That will give you leftovers for lunch. Make egg muffins for breakfast, and dinners can vary. I like roasting a big batch of veggies nad potatoes to use as my sides. Then I just need to add protein and fat (avocados are quick). 

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm super excited about this group! I am doing my first Whole30 for Lent. I've read both books and I go shopping tomorrow! 

Do any of the veterans have advice for someone that doesn't like eggs? Everyone I've talked to says they ate a ton of eggs and a lot of the recipes seem to feature eggs. (Maybe that is just because I notice it more because it is not an option for me.) One of the reasons I think I'll do ok/better is thinking of it as meals one, two and, three instead of breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 

We are starting Whole30 on Wednesday. WholeLent, I like that. We have read the books, mostly, and are menu planning and shopping this weekend. I feel like we are easing into it already with the change in mindset and awareness of what we are eating and how it affects our bodies. Are there blank templates for weekly menus and weeks 2, 3, & 4 menus like week 1 menu in the book? If so can someone share the link?

Yay!!  There you all are!  Was afraid I was going to be out here alone!  I've been rallying the troops on my Whole30 for Lent Facebook page but you guys are my board of directors and I will be checking into the Mother Ship on a regular basis during Lent.  I'm actually starting to have some ANXIETY about the whole thing but I went SO PUBLIC with it there's no backing out now so I'm girding my loins and fixin' to power on.   I did everything I could think of to get out of traveling next week but will be spending Feb 10 to the 16th in Southern California (I'm a health care consultant).  Some planning however was made - - staying in Extended Stay that has full kitchen...whew/!!!  Biggest anxiety?  no BREAD!!!   ; (   what the hell did people do for lunch before sandwiches were invented anyway????   Maybe tuna sandwich with BIG sliced of potato for "bread"......Good thing I'm doing this for Lent - - - lots of prayin' fixin' to happen..... 

• Moderators

I'm super excited about this group! I am doing my first Whole30 for Lent. I've read both books and I go shopping tomorrow! 

Do any of the veterans have advice for someone that doesn't like eggs? Everyone I've talked to says they ate a ton of eggs and a lot of the recipes seem to feature eggs. (Maybe that is just because I notice it more because it is not an option for me.) One of the reasons I think I'll do ok/better is thinking of it as meals one, two and, three instead of breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Go to google (the best way to search this site) and type in Whole 30 egg free (or similar) and you'll get hundreds of results! I'm on my ipad so I can't link it for you. There are LOADS of threads tho.

You can do an entire Whole30 and never eat one egg.

Yes, you've got the right mindset of reframing breakfast as "Meal 1."

As SugarcubeOD said, googling Whole30 non egg breakfasts will get you links to lost of past discussions on this topic.

This is also a thread with some terrific non-traditional breakfast ideas.

Biggest anxiety?  no BREAD!!!   ; (   what the hell did people do for lunch before sandwiches were invented anyway????   Maybe tuna sandwich with BIG sliced of potato for "bread"......Good thing I'm doing this for Lent - - - lots of prayin' fixin' to happen..... 

Maybe also try to get out of the mindset of lunch = sandwich.  You can have some compliant tuna salad on a huge bed of mixed greens and other veggies.

There are so many other options on a Whole30.

Start with using the meal template to help you build meals of protein, vegetables and fat to satiate you for 4-5 hours.

Are there blank templates for weekly menus and weeks 2, 3, & 4 menus like week 1 menu in the book? If so can someone share the link?

Make friends with the Whole30 meal template to design each of your meals. 

As far as templates for weeks 2-4, there are some sites with examples.  

- Nom Nom Paleo: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/16824406467/the-whole30-recap-every-single-day

- Mel Joulwan has a one week plan that includes her "hot plates" method: http://meljoulwan.com/2013/12/29/whole30-2014-week-1-meal-plan/

Consider figuring out what you like to eat and rotating in different, proteins and veggies, and repeat recipes during the Whole30. No need to complicate it with prepping and cooking 90 different meals.  Keep it simple: leverage leftovers, compliant canned tuna, chicken and salmon. 

Wow. I am so excited for this round. Not only is my girlfriend going to make her second attempt at a Whole30, but three of my friends in my neighborhood have decided to do it too. And when I posted about it on Facebook, NINE other friends - in five other states! - decided to join in as well. I look forward to their support, as well as the support of the folks on this thread AND the group that's formed on Facebook: 

https://www.facebook.com/whole30forLent2016/

Hi guys! I found some time to make some food prep so I feel way better! Diced up a ton of veggies last night as well as put a rotisserie chicken in the crock pot so I have something prepped! Planning to make the chocolate chili on Thursday so I have some good food for the weekend when I'm traveling to a friends house. 

I am also starting Feb 10th!  I was diagnosed with Relapsing Remitting MS last April. I chose to deal with my MS as naturally as I could, I changed my diet and was able to stay off meds, except supplements.  I had been following a mostly Paleo lifestyle and it was working great.  I lost quite a bit of weight and I felt great, the symptoms had for the most part disappeared.  Then the holidays hit and after a few bites of this won't hurt, I seemed to have tossed aside everything I was doing, gained some of my weight back and my MS symptoms have started to peek their nasty heads again, so it's time to reboot!  I have never done a Whole30 program before and I'm looking forward to it! I don't have much of a support system, just 2 young boys and most of my friends think I lost my mind when I chose not to use conventional medicine to treat my symptoms, however, I know I've made the right choice overall, I just need a swift kick in the rear end to get me motivated to continue on the great path I was on!  Whole30 here we go!

I just saw this, and I'm IN for tomorrow! I did my first whole30 in October like AngieWG and had trouble staying on track afterward. FatTuesday is hard, so I'm ready for tomorrow.

Is anyone else fasting and abstaining for Ash Wednesday? Any special plans for your one normal meal?

Went and bought 5 Tessemae sauces tonight. With the lack of prep and freak out I had last week I feel way better! I don't necessarily have a scheduled meal plan but at least with these dressings I can always do a quick salad with the chicken I made last night.

Okie dokie...here we go, in the beautiful Pacific Northwest...I am prepping my meals for a GREAT start in the morning, Ash Wednesday, 2016!  

I will be thinking of you all.  For those who are new, like me, send us a bit of love, K?  K.  

:)

Jane

All my meals are ready for tomorrow!  I'm going to loosely follow the week 1 schedule in the book.  But right off the bat I have to make some changes.  Wednesdays are nuts for us so my daughter and I eat dinner at Subway every week.  After searching around this site, I found there's not a whole lot there I can eat.  So I grilled up a nice chicken breast today that I'm going to cube up and discreetly add to a chopped veggie salad that I'll buy there tomorrow.  

I'm excited, nervous, pumped up and scared.  Here we go!

Hello everyone! I would like to join you on this WholeLent45 day journey. I am on Day 40 of my Whole60 and will use this time to recommit to my meditation practice. I have been putting coffee and Whole30 reading, planning, prepping, cooking, eating before my meditation practice and have essentially pushed it off my spiritual plate. I am ok with that and really needed to do it to learn and stay compliant. Now that I have the Whole30 down, I am ready to recommit to nourishing myself spiritually! I am also committing to eventually moving from having coffee first thing in the morning to meditating and eating before coffee. I will give myself time to make this transition. In full disclosure, coffee came first today! 

My new motto = Connecting to divine love > love of coffee :)

I would also like to be of service to those of you that are just beginning the journey. I check in everyday at least once a day, and will do my best to lend support when I can.

My posts here will be meditation-based. My food journal is in my signature below if you are interested. I just committed to the Whole60 today, thanks to this thread. I was originally Whole30 then Whole45, and who knows, I may go all the way with you and make it a Whole90!!

Planning and prepping and daily reading (Whole30 Daily email and Wholesome Blog) is what helped me the most.

Great to 'meet' you all... Happy Whole30ing!!!

Ladies & gentlemen, start your dishwashers! It's time for WholeLent to begin!

Yesterday was a big prep day for me. I focused on two key areas: breakfast & grab-&-go foods. I made one of my favorite breakfast casseroles (http://theprimepursuit.com/2012/02/06/who-is-sick-of-eggs-for-breakfast/), & one 9x13 pan = 8 servings of breakfast. I also made Nom Nom Paleo's spicy tuna cakes (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/91332244628/spicy-tuna-cakes) which are perfect post-workout eats. And finally, I made a batch of Nom Nom Paleo's prosciutto-wrapped fritatta muffins (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486819479/prosciutto-wrapped-mini-frittata-muffins). My girlfriend likes these for breakfast, & I like them for eating at almost any time of the day. 

Tonight I will be getting a rotisserie chicken (my Whole Foods has them on a $2 discount every Wednesday). We'll have that for dinner tonight along with roasted potatoes & steamed broccoli. Then I'll strip the meat off the chicken & use it to make Nom Nom Paleo's Madras chicken salad (http://nomnompaleo.com/post/108235360133/whole30-day-16-madras-chicken-salad). I'll use the rest of the carcass to start a batch of bone broth in the slow cooker.

Hi Sara6,

My husband and I are doing our 1st Whole30.  We are fasting and abstaining for Ash Wednesday (today).  Our one normal meal will be this evening.   On my meal plan I have the salmon cakes, roasted sweet potatoes and green beans.  Last night I was doing some prepping and made the mayo and the ranch dressing from the whole30 book.  I am really nervous now because I don't like the mayo AT ALL.  To me the olive oil taste is overwhelming.  The mustard taste is also a little too strong for my liking.  I went ahead and made the ranch dressing using the mayo.....and it is okay at best.  I am going to go ahead and make the salmon for tonight, but I am so disappointed because I intended to use the mayo in several of my lunch menu choices.  UGH!  

Good luck on your whole30 journey!

Archived