Tired, Frustrated and probably whiney. I could use a little encouragement

Kim Can

So I thought I was doing great on Whole30.  I was being an Eagle Eye at the supermarket, reading labels, rooting out everything that is sugary and sweet in the world and I was really proud that I had stuck with Whole30 for 13 entire days.  Yes, I know that doesn't sound like anything compared to many of you, but I'm sort of the person that the Sugar Dragon looks at and says "Really, enough already, leave me alone". I was checking on the Whole30ness of lentils in my book because I was coming up on my second day of cranky-hungry and my family was starting to fear being eaten, when I saw the entry about vanilla extract.  Harmless, no sugar, vanilla extract. How the bleep did I miss that, I thought I read the Whole30 & It Starts with Food cover to cover...twice before I started!  Not Whole30, it has alcohol, which I knew. Which my brain ignored.  So now I'm trying to figure out WWM&DD? I feel like if I just ignore the fact that I had a teaspoon of vanilla in my coffee every morning for the last 13 days and probably 5 other days when I had some unsweetened coconut milk, chia seeds and vanilla extract as something to take the edge off my Chocolate Cake and Cookie Beastie that I haven't really done the Whole30 because I was leaning on the vanilla as a "sweet" and it clearly has alcohol in it which is no bueno. But I'm not sure I can reset without self-destructing along the lines of "Crazy woman found in freezer at local store among empty cartons of Ben & Jerry's. Film at 11".  I feel I should restart to be true to Whole30.  But I'm feeling a little despair at being back at square one.  Dang it.  Anyone else been here and done that without being on the evening news?

• Moderators

Oooh, that stinks!

I think you might think what I"m going to say also stinks but you sort of answered your question yourself... if you've been propping up sugar cravings with the vanilla, then it's probably a good idea to restart... but I don't think you're back at square one... just imagine how good you feel now and then add another 30 days onto that! You'll be FLYING by the time you get to your new 30th day!

If it makes you feel better there are quite a few people who started today so youre in good company!

Also, in case you didn't find the answer you were originally looking for, lentils are a no for the Whole30... no grains or legumes/beans.

Also, if it helps you change the way you look at it, it can a Whole43 for you :) Some people prefer to add the days on the end rather than reset the number, but it's really the same thing.

Restarting is also never a failure if you learn something from it. The entire process is about learning.

You've learned something important, and that's a NSV!

Archived