Breakfast Hack

Vcoletto

So I came up with this utterly amazing breakfast plan that I just have to share. I don't have much time in the morning to make breakfast or eat breakfast at home. Pre whole30 my breakfasts consisted of a bagel with cream cheese and deli turkey. Every. Single. Day. I substituted my bagel with frittata muffins. Before you go crazy on me, the only muffiny part of this is that I use a muffin pan. I whisk eggs with veggies, put them in the muffin pan, bake at 375 for about 25 minutes, and take my mini frittatas in to work where I eat them with compliant pico de gallo and a dipping sauce. I'm only on Day 3, but my breakfast is soooo delicious! So much better than the bagel. The first batch I made, I added sauteed spinach and onions to the eggs and had them with the delicious ranch recipe from the Whole30 book (except I substituted a ton of dill as the fresh herb, I cannot get over how amazing healthy sauces can be!) Tonight I experimented a bit and added a tad of coconut milk to the eggs, sauteed spinach, onions, garlic, scallions, and tomatoes and am planning on having them with the roasted red pepper sauce I made for dinner (which is also to die for). I seriously can't get over how delicious all my meals have been and have (yet) to miss burgers, fries, pizza, and pasta. 

Happy eating :)

Glad I saw this, was thinking of some new combos for my egg muffins I'm going to make today. I ate my first batch with homemade ketchup. My second batch, I didn't overcook so I actually didn't add any kind of condiment. However, I'm liking the idea of roasted red pepper sauce or something on there, mmmm.

As for your ranch comment, I add dill to that recipe too - so yummy!

I also saw a recipe where you wrap prosciutto around the tin and then pour the egg mixture, so it's a prosciutto wrapped muffin! Definitely gonna try that one next. Also, glad to report that I'm on Day 8 and couldn't be happier with myself in almost every aspect of my life :)

I used the "muffin" idea the first week I started, but the clean up was terrible.  So this time around I just made a 9x13 pan of my egg deliciousness and it's much easier.  The squares hold their shape well and are still easily eaten on the way to work or at my desk.   ^_^

Does anybody have any ideas for making single serving egg cups/fritatta/crustless quiche/procuito-wrapped veggies and eggs (to me, these are all the same more or less) that WON'T be rubbery when I reheat them? I have made so. many. batches.

I have to eat breakfast at the office, and we have a toaster oven so I reheat with that instead of the microwave. But to this day, I can not make something that I find edible.

I gave up and started making Nom Nom Paleo's spicy tuna cakes - which are awesome - but I'd love to conquer the veg/egg cups for some variety.

Does anybody have any ideas for making single serving egg cups/fritatta/crustless quiche/procuito-wrapped veggies and eggs (to me, these are all the same more or less) that WON'T be rubbery when I reheat them? I have made so. many. batches.

I have to eat breakfast at the office, and we have a toaster oven so I reheat with that instead of the microwave. But to this day, I can not make something that I find edible.

I gave up and started making Nom Nom Paleo's spicy tuna cakes - which are awesome - but I'd love to conquer the veg/egg cups for some variety.

Susan, this is what I've been eating everyday and I don't find that they get rubbery. I usually try to undercooked the frittatas muffins just a bit, I nuke them in the microwave in the mornings at work and then add a mayo-based/fat-based sauce and salsa. Perhaps it's the addition of the sauce and salsa that "masks" the rubberiness? I've done the ranch, a tzazoki sauce, cauliflower based benchamel sauce and paired those with regular salsa and mango salsa so far. I also occasionally add half an avocado as well. I prepare the sauces over the weekend to have them for the week. So not only am I getting a good serving of healthy fats, the fats help the muffins in terms of flavor change and in adding moisture to them as well. Hope this helps!!

• 1 month later...

What about a Spanish tortilla - basically thinly sliced potato (I'd use sweet potato), slow cooked with sliced onions, then mixed with a few beaten eggs..let it hang out in a frying pan, low and slow until just firm...Cut into wedges to be eaten cold or warm.

I'd think muffin-size would dry out quicker...in thicker wedges, less so...

For a dressing, Nom Nom Paleo's anchovy caper sauce would work...

Gosh, with that moreish sauce, I'd just deconstruct and have boiled eggs and potatoes (hold the onions though)!

• 4 weeks later...

I saute' veggies and put them in a 9 x 13 glass pan and then pour my eggs over it; bake for 15-20 minutes and cut into single servings to eat for breakfast for the week.  I heat them up each morning and they are never rubbery.    Same idea, just not as thick as the 'muffin' shape, so they heat up nicely.  Hope that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I make a frittata with 6-7 eggs and all the veg I can fit in my saute pan. Coconut milk plus some water, salt and pepper. 40 min in a 375 oven.  I eat the slices cold.  I thought I wouldn't like it cold, but it's definitely better than micro-rubbery! I tried the muffin thing and it was just too much trouble to clean the tins. The prosciutto muffins, though, are awesome. I just don't often stop at the deli counter anymore.

I make a frittata with 6-7 eggs and all the veg I can fit in my saute pan. Coconut milk plus some water, salt and pepper. 40 min in a 375 oven. I eat the slices cold. I thought I wouldn't like it cold, but it's definitely better than micro-rubbery! I tried the muffin thing and it was just too much trouble to clean the tins. The prosciutto muffins, though, are awesome. I just don't often stop at the deli counter anymore.

I use parchment paper liners and it's amazingly easy to clean. PLUS you get less stuck to the liner. Best. Thing. EVER!

I make a frittata with 6-7 eggs and all the veg I can fit in my saute pan. Coconut milk plus some water, salt and pepper. 40 min in a 375 oven.  I eat the slices cold.  I thought I wouldn't like it cold, but it's definitely better than micro-rubbery! I tried the muffin thing and it was just too much trouble to clean the tins. The prosciutto muffins, though, are awesome. I just don't often stop at the deli counter anymore.

You can try silicone muffin pans. They're nonstick and much easier to clean.

Archived