Jan. 18, 2016 Start Date

Audabee

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is my start date (1/18).  I got up this morning and almost had cereal for breakfast with my kids. Then I thought "I'll have a nice hot coffee with cream and sugar" and realized that wasn't an option either.  So I grabbed a red bell pepper, some black forest ham, egg whites, and a bit of olive oil.  Very tasty!

• Moderators

Me!! I need meal plan ideas and I'm afraid I already messed up...hoping the whole 30 days aren't like this..

If you google 'whole 30 and meal plan' you'll get lots of results.  www.meljoulwan.com also has meal plans and weekly cookup plans.

How do you feel you messed up?

For some people it IS a very different activity to be making their own food and reading labels and being considerate of how meals are composed but it definitely does get easier.

Me!! I need meal plan ideas and I'm afraid I already messed up...hoping the whole 30 days aren't like this..

If you don't have a crock-pot, get one. Slow cooking is a savior for doing Whole30 since you can nearly always have something ready to go in a pinch. Boiled eggs on hand are a quick protein fix. Good luck.

I started today too!  I feel good and have the whole week of meals planned out.  My husband is going to try to do it with me and my 17 year old daughter and I had a great conversation about healthy food choices as we ate spaghetti squash and homemade meat sauce.  It was delicious!  Now, let's hope the next 29 days go as smoothly.

Awesome to see so many people starting today!

With the exception of my coffee this morning I would say today went well. Iwas so disappointed in how my coffee tasted with the almond milk. I had an omelet with bell pepper, spinach and avocado for breakfast. Really tasty. Lunch was chicken thighs, boiled egg, celery and carrots. An apple with almond butter to finish it off. Dinner was baked cod with lemon, roasted sweet potato, rutabaga and carrots mashed with ghee.

I think my biggest challenge may be not stepping on the scale for 30 days!

We can do this!

Yeah... the coffee, even with coconut milk is not exciting. But it's, so far, doable. I'm going to explore some teas and maybe also add Crio Bru to the mix.

Today, though, true to the timeline, I have the "hangover". No spring in my step today. Got up, counting the hours til I can go back to bed. I thought I ate reasonably healthy before, but my body thinks otherwise. Thank goodness, those that have gone before us, let us know this was gonna happen. The good thing is, it means it's working to make the changes in my body

Good morning! Another 1/18 starter here... this is my 3rd whole 30, looking forward to jump start my training for spring races. 

I had lots of success with my first 2 and "rode my own bike" for the year after with lots of success. I did run off the rails a bit in December, so need to return to my "happy place". 

Looks like we might be getting some snow in my area (East Coast, Delaware), so have plans to make Chocolate Chili and Italian Style pork roast, both are WEll Fed recipes, you can get them here  http://meljoulwan.com/

Italian Slow Cooker Roast http://meljoulwan.com/2012/10/16/slow-cooker-italian-pork-roast/

Chocolate Chili http://meljoulwan.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/

I second or third using the well fed books and Mel as a resource. I signed up for her Weekly Newsletter as well, which features 5 recipes a week, all paleo, and the majority are Whole 30.

Hope everyone is having a fantastic day 2!

If you google 'whole 30 and meal plan' you'll get lots of results.  www.meljoulwan.com also has meal plans and weekly cookup plans.

How do you feel you messed up?

For some people it IS a very different activity to be making their own food and reading labels and being considerate of how meals are composed but it definitely does get easier.

I messed up with the white stuff on top of my clarified butter...

Thankfully we are used to reading labels...the past year or 2 we cut out preservatives,dyes,etc..so a lot of our stuff is already compliant. and I cook everything from scratch(even bread) so I'm used to being in the kitchen lol I'm just HORRIBLE at meal planning!

Good morning! Another 1/18 starter here... this is my 3rd whole 30, looking forward to jump start my training for spring races. 

I had lots of success with my first 2 and "rode my own bike" for the year after with lots of success. I did run off the rails a bit in December, so need to return to my "happy place". 

Looks like we might be getting some snow in my area (East Coast, Delaware), so have plans to make Chocolate Chili and Italian Style pork roast, both are WEll Fed recipes, you can get them here  http://meljoulwan.com/

Italian Slow Cooker Roast http://meljoulwan.com/2012/10/16/slow-cooker-italian-pork-roast/

Chocolate Chili http://meljoulwan.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/

I second or third using the well fed books and Mel as a resource. I signed up for her Weekly Newsletter as well, which features 5 recipes a week, all paleo, and the majority are Whole 30.

Hope everyone is having a fantastic day 2!

We are supposed to be getting snow too and I'm telling my husband that we HAVE to go get eggs and veggies before it comes..he thinks I'm crazy,but he hasn't heard the current snowfall possibilities yet either!! We have a few chickens of our own and are getting more in the spring,but not enough to supply enough eggs and yesterday was so cold,the egg we did get froze and busted!! But I'm definitely looking at meals like chili and soups..warm,filling,and easy to reheat without power!

I started yesterday too!  So far so good!  I'm wondering about substitutes for things in non-compliant recipes.  Anyone know where to look for that?  

We've got this!

Jenny

What are you looking to substitute for? you might be able to find your answer on the forums.... I bet you it has been asked before. I don't know that I have found a list, but have been known to google things to find a sub. Hope this helps!!!

@ SamL  they are predicting the snow to start Friday evening, so hopefully I can hit the store on my way home from work for last minute stuffs.... 

We have been thinking of getting our own chickens, but haven't settled on it yet. What kind do you have?

We have Buckeyes. They are a heritage breed. They're supposed to be a good dual-purpose breed,but we haven't eaten any of them. They are really nice birds,even our rooster...calm,gentle. We really like them!

I also started on 1/18. I was recently diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and am also 30 lbs overweight. i suffer from sugar addiction along with overeating out of boredom. I want to take control of my health and believe this is the way to do so.

My wife and I were talking today about how to make Whole30 sustainable on a daily basis. It takes time to make a meal, so we've decided to make tomorrow's lunch and dinners today, and today eat yesterdays. Make sense? For example, today when I came home from work I started a thick stew with lamb, potatoes, winter squash, onions, and stewed tomatoes. While that started cooking I re-heated a crockpot meal from yesterday; so I was eating and doing other things while the stew cooked.

Crock pots are perfect for W30 because it literally takes 10-15 minutes to start one: I put a whole chicken in mine (some thighs or breasts if you have a smaller unit), fill the rest of the space with root veggies, potatoes and/or sweet potatoes and/or winter squash, 5-spice, stewed tomatoes from a can, a can of coconut milk. In the morning I transfer the chicken to a casserole pan to cool. Once cooled, pick all the meat from bones by hand (skin and bones is where the flavor - and nutrition - is). I chop the chicken and add it back to the pot. Bam! you have an excellent meal for lunch and dinner. Before I take it to work I add chopped kale that will cook when I re-heat it.

Good luck to all.

Archived