Jan. 18, 2016 Start Date

Audabee

Me and my wife started yesterday also. I woke up today feeling like I had a hangover. A few hours later I felt better but today was a little tough.  I was tired through out the day and needed a few cups of black coffee. Anyways I made it another day. No cheats no slips. Good luck everyone. Stay strong!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone! Just joined the forum! I also have Jan 18th as my start date! Hoping I can make a habit of meal prep and attain that Food Freedom! "Hangover" was there this morning but having a warm coconut milk coffee made it all better!

Looking forward to 28 more days! We got this :)

• Moderators

Hi guys . I started my first Whole30 yesterday. So far not so bad, but think I may tire of eating eggs everyday. Anyone have any other options?

Google is the best way to search this forum and if you type 'Whole 30 egg free breakfast' into the search engine, you'll get hundreds (no kidding!) of threads of people with many suggestions on what to do if you don't like/can't eat/get sick of eggs.

The other thing you can do is consider that anything you eat at Meal 2 and 3 can be eaten at Meal 1 so it definitely doesn't have to be eggs!

• Moderators

I started today but haven't really planned or cooked so I'm really hungry.

It will be exceedingly difficult to do a Whole30 without planning or cooking. Being prepared with food available and plans for what you're going to cook/eat is a cornerstone of a successful Whole30. There are VERY few commercially prepared items that are compliant to eat and eating in restaurants is also quite difficult, so I encourage you to take a look at the meal template and other links in my signature below.

You can also take a look at www.meljoulwan.com and she's got a weekly cookup plan for the four weeks of the Whole30 that might help you.

You're not expected to be hungry in these 30 days... make a plan and then eat up!

I started on Jan 18 too, and then restarted on Jan 19 after I accidentally ate a noodle. (That's how I usually test to see of the kids' pasta is done! And didn't even realize I had done that until after I swallowed it!) I feel the hangover today, hoping to stay busy enough to ignore it. Good luck everyone!

How is everyone doing so far?

Day 3 today!

I was going to try coconut milk in my coffee again but it curdled. So I am just going to cut to the chase and drink it black. It took me awhile to get used to drinking it with no sugar but I did. I am sure this will help me cut back on my coffee consumption.

Being prepared ahead of time has really saved me! Cooking up a huge batch of chicken and throwing it in the freezer to grab when needed was genius on my part of I do say so myself!

Good luck everyone!

Audrey

@ SamL they sound like geat chickens... will have to look into that breed when we are thinking about it this summer :)

Day 3 for me... yesterday was a crazy evening, but managed to make myself a compliant dinner and also hard boil some eggs for lunch today. I also made some mayo yesterday, with some italian spices in it and will use it with my eggs today.

I have a 15 pound pork roast out thawing for this weekend's pork roast adventure. 

My husband is shopping this morning for some produce and eggs for us... looking forward to what he brings home... Everyone eats what I make, so dinner is whole 30 for everyone :)

Day 3 for me too! My husband and I are attempting our second W30 together -- I've done a couple successfully in the past, but when he and I tried together in October, we had travel in the day 20ish range and fell apart.

We're already tired of bacon and eggs and sweet potatoes for breakfast (that's our normal breakfast anyway), so this weekend I'm going to crockpot a stew that we can eat for breakfast next week.

I made some mayonnaise yesterday too but used olive oil and I find it tastes kind of heavy. I'll use it up but I think next time I'll try using avocado oil. I nlove ver thought of throwing some spices or herbs in it! What a great idea.

My breakfasts right now are 2 egg omelets with whatever veg I have in the fridge, topped with homemade salsa. We will see how long I last with those before getting tired of them. I did read that it is better to think of the meals as Meal 1, 2 & 3. That way you just eat what you feel like rather than say just "breakfast" food for breakfast.

Have a great day everyone!

Audrey

Hey everyone!  My start date was January 19th, so today is Day 2 for me, but I'd love to join in even though I'm a day behind most of you!  So far, so good with the meals.  I have a meeting tonight at a restaurant where we always have bread, salad and pizza.  I am planning to eat before I go and just drink water while I'm there, but I think I better bring something with me to snack on in case my will power gives me a run for my money.  Any suggestions?

@ rhed- I love having stew for breakfast!! Yumm!!

@Audabee- Spicing up my Mayo is my new fav!!! I use a Light tasting olive oil, lemon or lime juice and throw in whatever spices I think would work.... I am going to make the Spicy Coconut Mayo from Well Fed 2 this weekend. I am currently LOVING her Jerk Seasoning recipe and think the mayo would take it to the next level :)  http://meljoulwan.com/2015/03/07/spicy-coconut-mayo/  Don't know if I will throw in the peppers or not, dpeends if my husband is going to eat it too... he does not do really spicy foods. 

@TracyA Welcome to our group!!!! I would bring a hardboiled egg and some cut up peppers or other fav raw veggie to snack on. I take hard boiled eggs with me everywhere and it has saved my Whole 30 a few times :) Plus, with eating before, you shouldn't be hungry, so hopefully less temptation. And as you move through the Whole 30 process, it may become easier to go to these events without a snack. As we all learn about the different cues our body has to make us think we need to eat, we can seperate out when we are actually hungry. I know on my first Whole 30 I went to my brother's wedding on Day 5 and took some snacks with me (even though I ate before), but by the end, I was able to go to a weekend long dance competition  without eating any snacks, just my 3 template meals. I cannot tell you how much I learned about how my body and mind are connected and the emotional connection with food. 

My Husband did buy me some spaghetti squash, zuchinnin, cauliflower, and plantains, along with some other stuff. He had made bone broth the other day (He's a line chef) and said somethng about making creamed cauliflower soup.... he gets excited to try whole 30 recipes... which is fun! And now we have plenty of food for our possible "snow event" this weekend....

Keep rocking out Day 3 (2)!

Strength and support in numbers! Hi there, Health Warriors. I am Leslie From Southern California and I started my first Whole30 on Monday the 18th as well. I had to start, no matter if it was my first year anniversary with my fiancé and we had dinner reservations or that my dad's birthday brunch is on Sunday.....there will always be a party, a celebration, a potential interruption and I am sick of making excuses.

I am doing this because I have addicted to sugar for too long and am making that pivotal connection between food and self-control and self-discipline, a concept I have struggled with for years. This is beyond food. I have also been guilty of being an emotional eater and reach for quick carbs when I feel stressed. As a matter of fact, I am also reading a book by Brian Tracy that is helping me make these changes and stay in the path of consistency. He has a myriad of books out there but this one just happened to be the one I came across at a bargain price from Barnes and Noble as soon as I walked in the door : No Excuses! The Power of Self-Discipline. 21 ways of achieving lasting Happiness and Sucess. I believe the Whole 3O is another key to self-mastery.

I am trying to increase my activity level and either do yoga, Zumba or jog 4 times a week. I also teach yoga so I feel I need to be accountable and a role model for my students. It keeps me in check. I have practiced Bikram Yoga for 11 years and that in itself is a game and life changer. I have been teaching the "original hot yoga" for 3 years.

Since I started grad school last fall I have gotten into some bad habits. I start school up again on Monday and am apprehensive about it but I know the key to success is making time to prepare meals and have those emergency kits with me on hand. Sunday has to be a ritual of cooking and packing so I just have to bring joy to it and turn up the tunes in the kitchen.

A little trick that I have been doing as well: I brush my teeth at 10pm and floss (another challenge in the face of discipline and consistency) This seems to deter me from the late night snacking and signals my body food is off limits, I should be reading or settling down.

Honestly, I am surprised that all fruit is allowed but I know that I may have been eating a little too much or relying on this to satisfy my cravings. The book says it's ok in the beginning. Any thoughts? I have to confess, the dried figs, about 3-4 have helped but they have 20 grams of sugar! Even if it is natural, something tells me not to buy another bag after this one.

Okay, friends, wishing you all strength and love. Keep thinking about your reasons and what u want to achieve. We can do this!!!!! What the mind can believe, the body can achieve. Keep it light hearted and keep it tasty. Let Mother Nature be your medicine. Let's do this like the champions that we are!

-Leslie

I started on the 12th, but my group isn't very active, so I'd like to hang out here for awhile. I like your conversations here.

This is my second W30 (Jan 2015 was my other). I managed to stay pretty fit for most of the year after my last one. I stayed off of sugar and wheat, but re-introduced most other whole foods, like corn, beans, and rice. The holidays changed everything. This time around, after 7 days, I already feel great. I'm not sure I can call this a challenge. I'm eating 3 very good meals and not craving between meals. I'm not starving at all. My only challenge is keeping up with groceries and cooking. As mentioned previously, cooking isn't too much trouble if using slow-cookers and thinking ahead. It gets easier over time. Because I feel so good, and I'm not letting my mind focus on cravings, it's hard for me to see how we so easily go back to bad diet decisions once the 30 days is over. I think the real trick is to recognize what the biggest offenders to staying healthy are and eliminating them. Period. I don't need soda ever. I don't need sugar. I don't need bread and wheat products. By simply eliminating sugar and wheat I indirectly eliminate scones, doughnuts, burger buns, soda, pasta, and anything else that makes stabilizing fitness difficult. I love pizza, but would I rather stay fit, or continue a trajectory toward avoidable medications in the future? During these 30 days my goal is to reprogram my mind away from harmful foods (primarily processed), and re-introduce real, whole, foods. We all know what happens when we go back to sugar in "moderation". Moderation will last a short time before I'm back to normal levels of use. That's my history anyway.

Good luck to you all. So far I really appreciate what I have seen and read here. I think this group is poised for success!!

either do yoga, Zumba or jog 4 times a week . . .

Honestly, I am surprised that all fruit is allowed . . .

Yogi - During my last W30 I did a lot of running. This time I'm running 4 days/wk, and doing a body-flex class at the gym twice per week. Fitness not only adds value to the diet, but also, as you likely know, tends to make us crave healthier food, therefore making the 30 days easier. I would encourage both yoga, and some cardio.

Fruit sugars: I ate a lot of dates during my prior whole30, feeling justified since I was training hard, but I had the same thought as you about whether I really needed that much. This time around I've been limiting my fruit to an apple (and maybe one date) per day (I started on the 12th). I feel just fine, perhaps better with less fruit. Last night after dinner I was craving something sweet and was tempted to have some dried mango, but sugar in the evening can make me groggy in the morning so I overpowered my craving, and went to bed without. I was fine.

Good luck!

• Administrators

Honestly, I am surprised that all fruit is allowed but I know that I may have been eating a little too much or relying on this to satisfy my cravings. The book says it's ok in the beginning. Any thoughts? I have to confess, the dried figs, about 3-4 have helped but they have 20 grams of sugar! Even if it is natural, something tells me not to buy another bag after this one.

Hi Leslie,

You are completely right to be suspicious of dried fruits like figs, they are "allowed" because they are a whole food but they are as close to candy as you can get on Whole30 and they are not meant to be eaten like a food group.  Chop them up and throw them in with chicken in the slow cooker, sprinkle bits of them on salads etc. Don't just eat them outright, that's not doing you any favours.

As far as real, fresh fruit goes, it is permitted and is a healthy choice.  Don't let it push veggies off your plate though and don't eat it alone.  If you have a stubborn sugar dragon, even the sugar in fruit eaten alone (especially dried fruits) are just going to keep the little bugger going.  Starve it out!

Day 3-I woke up sweaty and shaky,but felt better after breakfast. I think I didn't eat enough dinner.

Anyone want to post their meal plans for the near future? I'm making cabbage and aidells chicken and apple sausage tonight..not sure what else yet. I'll also mix up and cook breakfast sausage for the next couple of days.

Leslie, I love yoga and do it every day!

• Administrators

Anyone want to post their meal plans for the near future?

Saturday: Shake N Bake Chicken (linked a similar recipe, the one I'm using is a bit different and printed out at home)

Sunday: Slow Cooker Ribs

Monday: leftover rib meat, roast brocoli, baked yam

Tuesday: steak, garlic baby potato, roasted green somethingorother (brocoli, sprouts, asparagus)

Wednesday: compliant sausages topped with heaps of balsamic mushrooms and onions

Thursday: Madras Chicken salad, leftover roasted green something, maybe some yam fries

Breakfast All Week: shake n bake chicken, cubed butternut, green beans and spinach, all sauteed together.

So I'll "shake n bake" about 2 dozen chicken thighs when I make dinner on Saturday.  The rest will be used for breakfast all week.  When I roast yams or whatever greenery I end up with, I'll do two or three trays of it.  The chicken salad is going to be made with compliant canned chicken (back when Kirkland used to be compliant).

Tip for the most delicious shake n bake chicken ever? Rub a skiff of homemade mayo on the chicken before you shake/bake it.  SO moist and juicy and flavourful.  I'll only do this for the dinner ones on Saturday, the rest will be mayo-less.

Saturday: Shake N Bake Chicken (linked a similar recipe, the one I'm using is a bit different and printed out at home)

Sunday: Slow Cooker Ribs

Monday: leftover rib meat, roast brocoli, baked yam

Tuesday: steak, garlic baby potato, roasted green somethingorother (brocoli, sprouts, asparagus)

Wednesday: compliant sausages topped with heaps of balsamic mushrooms and onions

Thursday: Madras Chicken salad, leftover roasted green something, maybe some yam fries

Breakfast All Week: shake n bake chicken, cubed butternut, green beans and spinach, all sauteed together.

So I'll "shake n bake" about 2 dozen chicken thighs when I make dinner on Saturday.  The rest will be used for breakfast all week.  When I roast yams or whatever greenery I end up with, I'll do two or three trays of it.  The chicken salad is going to be made with compliant canned chicken (back when Kirkland used to be compliant).

Tip for the most delicious shake n bake chicken ever? Rub a skiff of homemade mayo on the chicken before you shake/bake it.  SO moist and juicy and flavourful.  I'll only do this for the dinner ones on Saturday, the rest will be mayo-less.

I don't think I could eat the exact same thing for breakfast every day!

Do you prefer almond flour over coconut? I haven't bought either one yet.

• Administrators

I don't think I could eat the exact same thing for breakfast every day!

Do you prefer almond flour over coconut? I haven't bought either one yet.

I use both almond and coconut.  Depends on what I'm doing, they are quite different as far as what they will/can do.  What are you wanting to do with it?  If you're wondering for the shake n bake, I actually don't use either, I just put all the spices into a blender/magic bullet/food processor with whole pecans or walnuts and blitz it until it's fine.

Tonight - baked chicken & apple sausage with root veggies (potatoes, turnip, carrot).

Tomorrow - fancy tuna salad (tuna, mayo, celery, maybe apple, maybe carrot), hard boiled eggs, carrot sticks, in lettuce wraps (or salad, depending on what I find at the store today)

Beyond - haven't planned yet. :P May eat out Friday night. I have a stack of recipes I want to try in the upcoming weeks.

I only have my next two meals planned....

Dinner tonight will be leftover Thai Coconut Milk Soup (from the Whole30 book)
Breakfast tomorrow will be leftover Melissa's Chicken Hash (also from the book).

Tomorrow morning I'll decide what will be for lunch and dinner.

I can't believe I made it three days.  I don't know why this program feels hard when I have been eating good food, and don't really feel hungry.  I just want to pig out on something that isn't good for me and it is pissing me off that I "can't".  According to the Whole 30 Timeline I am supposed to feel like Killing all things on day 4.  So I'm a day early, such an overachiever!  ha!!

Hey everyone!  My start date was January 19th, so today is Day 2 for me, but I'd love to join in even though I'm a day behind most of you!  So far, so good with the meals.  I have a meeting tonight at a restaurant where we always have bread, salad and pizza.  I am planning to eat before I go and just drink water while I'm there, but I think I better bring something with me to snack on in case my will power gives me a run for my money.  Any suggestions?

You could order a salad and use an oil and vinegar dressing. That's what I did last night.

I can't believe I made it three days.  I don't know why this program feels hard when I have been eating good food, and don't really feel hungry.  I just want to pig out on something that isn't good for me and it is pissing me off that I "can't".  According to the Whole 30 Timeline I am supposed to feel like Killing all things on day 4.  So I'm a day early, such an overachiever!  ha!!

I'm amazed that day 3 is done and I feel not too bad. Tomorrow may be a different story!

Archived