Documentary: Sugar Crash

kirkor

I'm in the North of Ireland kirkor so statistically I fall into the United Kingdom catchment area, but that doesn't change the fact that sugar is everywhere.

I've a friend who is a dental nurse and she works primarily in theatre with kids having extractions and she tells me that the number of kids requiring multiple extractions is shocking and most definitely on the rise. Sports drinks & the little bottles of Danone (yoghurt type pro-biotic drinks) that were shown in the documentary, which are marketed as healthy but are anything but, are a big part of the problem - that and a lack of knowledge.

My youngest son goes to (& my older son went before moving up) a school with a focus on healthy foods - only water allowed as a drink (and drinks bottle have to be transparent so that this is evident!), and only healthy snacks & lunches - that said what most parents think is healthy really isn't at all. And I have to say that sadly it is very evident that many children eat A LOT more than they should given the number of over weight & obese children (& adults) I see.

The stat of 42 million kids worldwide being classed as obese in 2014 was one of the first stats thrown at me on my course and it has stuck with me ever since. Those kids are not responsible for their health. As adults WE are - and we need to ensure that our children have a future.

There IS a big shift though to improve things, and the Irish Government are actually very good at campaigning for change. The UK are making efforts too - I'm not sure if you saw the article I linked to a few days ago in my log from the Royal Society for Public Health on the changes they have recommended for food packagaing, or the earlier one for the release of a new app which shows the number of tsps of sugar in an item when you scan the barcode - both good steps toward change.

I rarely set foot in a supermarket - I get all my produce from Farm Shops and order the cleaning products etc online & have them delivered, but when I DO have to nip in for some item I've forgotten or whatever I'm generally shocked at the vast quantity of crap that is on sale, and the shopping trolleys's full of it. I'm forever preaching at anyone who'll listen. People have to WANT to change, but they have to first LEARN that what they are eating is slowly killing them - many just don;t want to know.

Low fat & Sugar Free are my bug bears.

And advertising.

I'm NOT a sugar addict. I can have one scoop of home-made ice cream and I'm done. I can choose to have one slice of fresh cream fruit pavlova and I'll not fall face first into a family sized bag of Chocolate M&Ms & go on a downward spiral until I catch my reflection in a mirror 6wks later, but for those who ARE addicted to sugar the advertising is enough to get them salivating & craving - food manufacturers know exactly what they're doing.

/steps off soap box

• Moderators

The sugar thing is scary! I get that but why not Stevia on the plan? I've heard that Stevia doesn't react in your body the same way that sugar does. I'm just curious ...I'm only on day 4 and not freaking out about sugar yet!

Because part of the plan is learning how there is sugar or sugar substitutes in EVERYTHING.  Also because your body's reaction to a sugar substitute is the same as the reaction to sugar... it will keep the sugar dragon alive, your tastebuds won't get used to the natural sweetness of things and it's a HIGHLY processed food product, which we want you to get away from eating. :)

• Administrators

Excellent documentary!  This should be required watching for everyone!  

I especially love the comment "people have no choice any more because it's so pervasive".  We Whole30-ers know that we have a choice, but the average consumer who does not have the names of all sugars memorized and who believes the marketing on the front of the package over the facts on the back...............they should be so, SO angry with how they are being manipulated.

Even if sugar had no negative health effects (ha!!! :P), the one thing I think makes such a fundamental difference to lifestyle is the way it alters your taste buds.

So many people (and kids) think vegetables don't taste good, but this is largely because their tastebuds are so adjusted to eating hyperstimulating food that they don't enjoy taste sweetness in things like carrots (which are quite sweet). The more things taste unappealing, the more they seek artificial food like things and the more sick they feel.

Juice lovers & calorie counters should definitely see this video :)

Although this has an Irish focus, this could just as easily be about Australia or the USA, the brands might be different but the products are incredibly similar :(

• 2 weeks later...

Even if sugar had no negative health effects (ha!!! :P), the one thing I think makes such a fundamental difference to lifestyle is the way it alters your taste buds.

So many people (and kids) think vegetables don't taste good, but this is largely because their tastebuds are so adjusted to eating hyperstimulating food that they don't enjoy taste sweetness in things like carrots (which are quite sweet). The more things taste unappealing, the more they seek artificial food like things and the more sick they feel.

Juice lovers & calorie counters should definitely see this video :)

Although this has an Irish focus, this could just as easily be about Australia or the USA, the brands might be different but the products are incredibly similar :(

We are experiencing this first hand in our family.

With our first three children, the first pureed food we introduced them too were vegetables.  We slowly worked in fruits over time, but to this day they all love veggies and I credit that with early exposure.

Fast forward to the present.  Our 10 month old has been on a strawberry/vanilla flavored medicine since she was four days old.  I cannot get her to eat vegetables to save my life.  She'll gobble down the pureed fruit all day long, but if I try to sneak a spoonful of vegetable in there, even if it's sweet potato, she spits it out and glares at me.  

I'm really hoping Whole30 helps me learn to control these intense sugar cravings I have.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/21/2016 at 3:05 PM, Vicky P said:

Great documentary! Everyone should also check out That Sugar Film, an outstanding documentary on sugar!

Just finished watching That Sugar Film. What an eye opener! If you're dreaming of all the sugary good things you'll go back to at the end of the 30 days, watch this first!

Archived