Trouble timing meal 1 and Pre/Post WO

tristaw30

Hi there!

I am a little confused at the best way to fuel my body for my workouts and still get my meals in.  I get up with my kids at 7, (no, getting up earlier isn't an option, I am a night shift L&D nurse) and eat breakfast (usually 2-3 eggs, sauteed kale or other green veg in coconut oil and half an avocado) with the kids by 7:30.

Then the circus begins, I get my oldest to school, and race to the gym (barely making it most days!) for a 9:30 spin and sculpt class, an athletic conditioning (plyo, HIIT and Tabata) or Bodypump class. 

Should my 'breakfast' be my pre WO?  Then when would I do meal 1?  Should I scarf more food quickly in the car on the way to the gym for a PreWO? I feel like that might make me throw up during these very intense workouts.  

My youngest is only in childcare for 2 hours at the gym, so I race to the shower, and go pick her up shortly after 11.  Then we usually go home and make lunch, and up eating around 1215.  Should I be eating immediately after working out? If so, what would keep in my gym bag.  I am NOT adding a cooler to my arsenal of crap I carry with me everywhere!  

Please let me know if I can clarify anything.  

Thanks

• Administrators

I wouldn't worry so much about the pre workout, if you're feeling alright before and during, you're probably fine.  But after two high intensity classes like that back to back, you should absolutely be prioritizing a post workout meal.  Chunks of chicken breast and sweet potato eaten in the locker room before your shower won't take much time and will do you worlds of good.  Then lunch as per usual timing and composition.

• Administrators

I wouldn't bother with a cooler personally but then I am fairly "free" with food safety recommendations. ;)

The sweet potato for sure can be eaten at room temperature so instead of chicken, try a can of tuna (make sure it has a pull tab) and bring a fork.  Or egg whites (no yolk) would work too and really don't have to be refrigerated for the 3-ish hours you're on the move.

• 1 month later...

Post workout, I have been doing sweet potatoes and hard-boiled egg whites in a bag or a piece of chicken exactly as mentioned above - I eat them in the locker room before my shower or while I stretch. You can totally eat a piece of chicken like a candy bar! And most days, it's actually still chilled from the refrigerator at home by the time I eat it, so I wouldn't worry about food safety. 

I also recently decided to do my full "Meal 1," before my morning workout, as a small pre-WO wasn't enough. So now my pre and post workout meals kind of function as breakfast. I've been feeling better, but I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the negative consequences of this approach.

Thanks, and good luck trsitaw30!

Archived