Starting on Monday January 25th!!!!!

BeckyDouble

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just found these forums, so I'm a couple days late, but I'd love to join in.

First day was fine. Second day I had a little headache off and on, but no symptoms as bad as I was expecting. Today, I'm tired and grumpy, but otherwise okay. I'm glad to know my body is reacting to the changes we are making and hoping for good things to come.

I'd love to hear what made each of you decide to do Whole 30 now. Is this everyone's first time doing it?

As for us...We have not quite 3-year old twins and a just turned 1-year old, so life has been really chaotic for the last few years. We've developed terrible eating habits and haven't made our health a priority. I'm still carrying a lot of baby weight that needs to go away at some point, too. We decided to do Whole 30 to jump start our trip back to the land of healthy eating. Of course, weight loss would be lovely, but I'm also hoping for more energy and better sleep for me and for my husband's digrstive issues and allergies to improve.

Welcome!  Glad to have you be part of our group!  I myself has a 5 yr, 3yr, and 1yr.  I recovered from the 5yr and partially from the 3yr but the 1 yr old has be bogged down in pregnancy weight and really messing with my self confidence and will power. I feel like I can't make any changes any way and then just don't get started with anything so I pray I find the strength to stick with it and look forward to making friends and providing support along the way.  

I think it is too soon for me to be sleeping better but the kind of sleep I had last night was epic.  I woke up at 7:30am without an alarm and felt like I went into a time warp or something.  Slept so hard that when I woke up I was confused.  It was the best night of sleep that I can remember having in a long time.  I also walked a little over 4 miles yesterday which may have contributed.  

HAVE A GREAT DAY 3 EVERYONE!!!

I just found these forums, so I'm a couple days late, but I'd love to join in.

First day was fine. Second day I had a little headache off and on, but no symptoms as bad as I was expecting. Today, I'm tired and grumpy, but otherwise okay. I'm glad to know my body is reacting to the changes we are making and hoping for good things to come.

I'd love to hear what made each of you decide to do Whole 30 now. Is this everyone's first time doing it?

As for us...We have not quite 3-year old twins and a just turned 1-year old, so life has been really chaotic for the last few years. We've developed terrible eating habits and haven't made our health a priority. I'm still carrying a lot of baby weight that needs to go away at some point, too. We decided to do Whole 30 to jump start our trip back to the land of healthy eating. Of course, weight loss would be lovely, but I'm also hoping for more energy and better sleep for me and for my husband's digrstive issues and allergies to improve.

Yes, this is my first whole 30. My cousins did it in the fall and they had great success. I decided a couple of weeks ago that I was tired of feeling like crap! I always felt bloated. So, I started looking into this and I like the idea of a "detox" because I think that's what I need. If I lose weight, that's GREAT, but mostly I just want to feel better.

I have two kids, age 6 and 4, and so I have to have "back up" meals for them if they don't like my compliant food! Hubby likes it, and hoping he will do this one day too.

My husband and I started today. I'm used to cooking whole foods and we've been eating low carb for the most part for several years. We're both snack during the day, however - nuts, cheese, salty, crunchy stuff. And there's the nightly glass or two of wine. Our goal is to break the emotional attachment to food, sleep better, and to get away from morning and afternoon snacks. This morning I had three eggs scrambled with spinach and leftover veggies and I was hungry three hours later! I held out for another hour then had some olives and sliced deli meat.

I made several recipes after I got the book just to try them out before we started - really liked the salmon cakes, Melissa's hash, chicken with curry sauce. I made mayo for the second time tonight but it never emulsified. Weird. The egg was room temperature, I poured the oil slowly. The only thing different was that I used the food processor instead of blender. Oh well, try again tomorrow. I really does taste so much better.

Bzbear2 - I hope this makes my evenings more productive, too. I'm usually tired after dinner and don't get much done.

Good luck everyone! Here's to a positive life change!

Phew, made it through day 4 and haven't killed anyone yet! Hahaha

Thank you for the oil/butter thoughts and feedback!

I have fallen in love with the cauliflower rice recipe. I have affectionately called it "my food crack" bec that is exactly what it is to me. I didn't add the chicken stock and added two egg whites and it made it super tasty. Def recommend to everyone!

Also, I think I skipped ahead a few steps and went straight to day 11/12 with the food eating dreams! They felt so real and I woke up hungry and actually thinking I ate the carbs!! Lol

26 more days of us kicking food ass and taking names!!

Happy to hear of everyone's successes & ideas! Keep em coming!

The past couple of days have been really really stressful. Funny thing is, I'm feeling pretty good, healthwise. I told my mom about it today, and she made a good point, that it might be a good thing I'm doing Whole30 at this time, since maybe that's what's keeping me from stressing out too much.

Never thought about how healthy food would impact my mood, but hey, makes sense! :)

So far so good although as I was coming home from the grocery store I was wistfully thinking of the glass of wine I wasn't going to have.  :unsure:

Made the mayo again and this time it worked. I think the food processor is just too fast. It's so much better than store bought and really easy to make. 

Zetagirl82 - I haven't tried the cauliflower rice yet but the cauliflower mash is really tasty. 

So far so good although as I was coming home from the grocery store I was wistfully thinking of the glass of wine I wasn't going to have.  :unsure:

Made the mayo again and this time it worked. I think the food processor is just too fast. It's so much better than store bought and really easy to make. 

Zetagirl82 - I haven't tried the cauliflower rice yet but the cauliflower mash is really tasty. 

I hear you about that wine! So far, I've been feeling fine and all my meals have been easy with no other cravings or issues, but today after I left the gym, I found myself thinking of a glass of wine. I made tea instead and my craving has passed. :)

Yesterday was a tough day, but I knew it would be, so I prepared. Me and my company provided stage, lighting, sound, projection as well as me DJing for a big gala event last night - which means a 14 hour workday for us. I made sure to eat a good breakfast before leaving for the day and packed a cooler full of whole30 compliant food the night before to take with me.

I actually made time to eat lunch from my cooler, which helped fuel me through the start of the event, a gala. This is where the pain begins. They got creative with the food at this event and actually had sushi walls - yes, freestanding WALLS of sushi, hundreds of little wooden forks all lined up in rows with individual pieces of sushi on them, free for the taking all night long. And, they put these walls right next to my DJ booth. Sushi is one of my very favorite things, and this was tough. (I ate my dinner I had packed from my cooler instead.) They also had a "make your own" cannoli station! And, an open bar. Also, being the DJ, people inevitably come over to offer to get me a drink or bring food. This was the first time I've really felt challenged or deprived while on the whole30, but I knew it was coming this week and I prepared, so it wasn't catastrophic.

This will be an ongoing challenge for me, as I do events just like this one for a living. This is how I gained weight and started to feel less energetic in the first place - by eating all of this delicious event food and open bars. (Also, the usual pizza to share with my crew setting up and/or tearing down.) That routine wasn't working for me anymore, so this is why I'm on a reset. I'm so happy I made it to Day 6!

Great job ladyj!!! I can't imagine controlling myself like that around all that food! Keep it up!

I've tried a couple of new recipes from the book--guacamole and pesto. I've never been a guacamole fan, but this was really good. And the pesto is good too--a bit garlicky, and I like garlic. So, I may cut back on it next time. :)

Wondering how everyone is feeling? More energy? Better mood? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Day 6 - I am feeling still really good - I didn't get the tiredness or I didn't notice it since I have a 1 and 4 year old who have been keeping me up for years :)

I have to say, I have been following the 7 day plan to a letter and I am SO GLAD that I did, because:

1) I have eaten amazingly all week so I have had no instances of being either hungry or unsatisfied with my meals

2) I have learned so many different techniques and recipes so I have lots of ideas for next week

3) I have already figured out some favorites and some other recipes that were just ok

4) I have so many yummy leftovers in the fridge! 

my poor dishwasher has been working overtime tho, hehe (not my husband, we actually have a dishwasher)

I was worried about the weekend. Cause, you know, WEEKEND. I was surprised how much I am noticing that my eating is so REFLEXIVE. Like I have caught myself many times almost unconsciously reaching for candy/bits of my kids food/the coke bottle. Like without realizing it! Jeez! Also we walked in the door this evening and I was definitely like "time for a drink". Yeah. But we had delicious water and I made a "mojito" - sparkling water with lime and mint. Yum. 

In our weekend planning we looked for things that aren't food focused. So we took the train out to a beautiful pool in the alps (I live in Munich) and spent the day there. I packed up my lunch (salmon cakes, yum) and it was amazing! We had slow cooker carnitas waiting for us when we got home. 

So yeah, I'm feeling great! Day 7 here we come!

- Emily

Day 6 - I am feeling still really good - I didn't get the tiredness or I didn't notice it since I have a 1 and 4 year old who have been keeping me up for years :)

I have to say, I have been following the 7 day plan to a letter and I am SO GLAD that I did, because:

1) I have eaten amazingly all week so I have had no instances of being either hungry or unsatisfied with my meals

2) I have learned so many different techniques and recipes so I have lots of ideas for next week

3) I have already figured out some favorites and some other recipes that were just ok

4) I have so many yummy leftovers in the fridge! 

my poor dishwasher has been working overtime tho, hehe (not my husband, we actually have a dishwasher)

I was worried about the weekend. Cause, you know, WEEKEND. I was surprised how much I am noticing that my eating is so REFLEXIVE. Like I have caught myself many times almost unconsciously reaching for candy/bits of my kids food/the coke bottle. Like without realizing it! Jeez! Also we walked in the door this evening and I was definitely like "time for a drink". Yeah. But we had delicious water and I made a "mojito" - sparkling water with lime and mint. Yum. 

In our weekend planning we looked for things that aren't food focused. So we took the train out to a beautiful pool in the alps (I live in Munich) and spent the day there. I packed up my lunch (salmon cakes, yum) and it was amazing! We had slow cooker carnitas waiting for us when we got home. 

So yeah, I'm feeling great! Day 7 here we come!

- Emily

That's fantastic!

Your #1 item is true for me also. I love this food and I'm not hungry between meals either.

Your day trip sounds just beautiful. :)

Great job ladyj!!! I can't imagine controlling myself like that around all that food! Keep it up!

I've tried a couple of new recipes from the book--guacamole and pesto. I've never been a guacamole fan, but this was really good. And the pesto is good too--a bit garlicky, and I like garlic. So, I may cut back on it next time. :)

Wondering how everyone is feeling? More energy? Better mood? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thank you!

So far, every recipe I've tried from the book has been amazing! (Perfect seared chicken, basic mayo, roasted veggies, sauteed veggies, shepard's pie, perfect burger...) I will definitely make the pesto asap.

I feel like one of my biggest takeaways so far from the Whole30 (day 8) is that I really need to take the time to be prepared. When I prepare healthy, delicious food I have almost no problem sticking to it. Before the program I was arriving home from work, picking up the kids and I was so starving that I was just grabbing the nearest food possible and shoving it in my mouth - not good! Taking the time to prep and eat good food has had SO MANY payoffs these last 8 days - the energy I am gaining is giving me that time investment back tenfold!!

Hello everyone!  It's Day 8!!

Well, I made it through week one 100% compliant!  That in itself is a great accomplishment for me!

I had a few challenges over the weekend, but I was able to stay on program.  I'm feeling great, and I never suffered from the carb hangover or the headaches that so many suffer from, so I was very grateful for that!

Yesterday, my hubby jumped on board so now I'll have some extra motivation!

Have a great day everyone!

Week 1 was a success! Feeling great and didn't really suffer cravings too much but the dreams were kinda brutal. My tummy is flat too!!!!

Made the pork carnitas in the crock pot and I would recommend pulling back on the salt they say to add. At least for me it was too much and the pork was saltier than I like. But the flavor besides that was really good! Also made the chicken meatballs...lesson, I can't make meatballs instead I make meat blobs but they turned out super yummy too so i def recommend.

Also had a great first week!! Handling most obstacles!! Feeling full and really not missing any of the absent food groups!! The only thing that I am struggling with is the desire to step on that stupid scale!!! I haven't done it, but I literally think about it all the time.

• Moderators

I literally just found out I'm pregnant. I know that doesn't mean I have to stop but I kind of want to emotionally eat all the things.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Emotionally eating is not going to help in the long run... but you should definitely celebrate (assuming of course that this is celebration worthy... if I'm being insensitive, please forgive me!).  Try a spa day or painting your toenails or snuggles/cuddles etc....

Also check out the new branch of the program that Melissa started all about pregnancy from beginning till baby!

https://mamas.whole30.com/

I've wanted to jump on the scale too lately...mostly because the bloating came back a little bit and I just want to see if there's any difference. But, then I remind myself at how much more energy I have, how I feel good most of the time, and that this is something good I'm doing for ME, which I rarely do.

Archived