Starting on Monday January 25th!!!!!

BeckyDouble

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oli Pit,

I too have some bloating today......and find it a tiny discouraging as I have been 100% compliant!

I hate to admit it, but the hardest things so far for me have been avoiding alcohol and getting on the scale!!

Thanks for sharing....not that I am glad your bloated, just that it makes me feel normal!

I literally just found out I'm pregnant. I know that doesn't mean I have to stop but I kind of want to emotionally eat all the things.

Congrats!  I would want to eat, too.  Especially all the white carbs in the world since that is apparently the only thing my body will allow during the first trimester. Think about how healthy you will be during your pregnancy if you keep up clean eating!  If we have another one someday, I'm determined to eat clean and stay active.

It's been a few days since I've been on here, so a little update:  We are marching along one day at a time.  We haven't seen any massive benefits yet, but we also haven't had any horrible side effects of the "detox" part of it.  I am basically floating with pride though.  Food is my bestie, and I am still in shock that we've made good choices about what to put in our bodies for over a week and that it hasn't even really felt like a sacrifice.  Some take aways right now for me are: (1) I definitely eat reflexively without even thinking about it.  I've had a piece of something in my mouth 2-3 times without even realizing it and then spit it out.  (2) Preparation and a plan is key!  I took the advice I read somewhere to meal plan for the first two weeks before you start, and I'm so glad I did.  This weekend was not the best (especially Sunday, more on that later), and I barely made it through without caving even having a plan.

So, Sunday.  Oh, Sunday, you were almost the death of my Whole 30.   Some not-food-related stuff happened, and I was so stressed and upset and I just wanted to hide in my bed, cry, and then drink a whole bottle of wine.  It was ugly, and I told my husband that I was over it and just wanted to eat whatever and drink.  I knew that it was absolutely just because I was so upset and that it was all about the unhealthy, emotional relationship I have with food, but if he had waivered at all, I probably would have shoved a tortilla in my face.  Thank goodness, he's committed to this, too (and not quite as dramatic as me!).  Anyway, I went to bed that night still feeling over this whole thing.  BUT, the next morning I woke up and I was glowing with pride.  I honestly don't think I've ever gone through a crisis without totally drowning myself in food.  It's my go to, and I didn't do that.  I really felt like it was the first major hit to the unhealthy way I view food and turning it back into what it is: fuel for my body.  As much as I really want to lose weight, have more energy, and sleep better, the feeling of empowerment and pride at not caving on Sunday was maybe the best thing that wll happen this whole 30 days.  We shall see.      

Congratulations to BzBear2!!! What a fantastic way to prepare your body and the baby!! 

I'm on day 8 and I still get hungry around 3.5 hours after eating breakfast - usually three eggs with spinach and other veggies and maybe some meat. How can I be hungry? And it's really hunger - stomach growling and eventually my head starts to hurt. Pre Whole30 I was eating a snack mid-morning - usually olives, cheese and sliced meat so it's not like I was chowing down on carbs and sugar. I guess I'm still adjusting. Today I made it to lunch but I was hungry! I drink a lot of tea in the morning and I read that can affect my insulin level. I'm going to try and stick to one cup tomorrow then switch to herbal. Maybe that's another habit to give up - sigh... 

I'm waiting for that extra energy kick. Maybe because it's been snowing, raining and cold but I want a nap every afternoon! 

Congrats!  I would want to eat, too.  Especially all the white carbs in the world since that is apparently the only thing my body will allow during the first trimester. Think about how healthy you will be during your pregnancy if you keep up clean eating!  If we have another one someday, I'm determined to eat clean and stay active.

It's been a few days since I've been on here, so a little update:  We are marching along one day at a time.  We haven't seen any massive benefits yet, but we also haven't had any horrible side effects of the "detox" part of it.  I am basically floating with pride though.  Food is my bestie, and I am still in shock that we've made good choices about what to put in our bodies for over a week and that it hasn't even really felt like a sacrifice.  Some take aways right now for me are: (1) I definitely eat reflexively without even thinking about it.  I've had a piece of something in my mouth 2-3 times without even realizing it and then spit it out.  (2) Preparation and a plan is key!  I took the advice I read somewhere to meal plan for the first two weeks before you start, and I'm so glad I did.  This weekend was not the best (especially Sunday, more on that later), and I barely made it through without caving even having a plan.

So, Sunday.  Oh, Sunday, you were almost the death of my Whole 30.   Some not-food-related stuff happened, and I was so stressed and upset and I just wanted to hide in my bed, cry, and then drink a whole bottle of wine.  It was ugly, and I told my husband that I was over it and just wanted to eat whatever and drink.  I knew that it was absolutely just because I was so upset and that it was all about the unhealthy, emotional relationship I have with food, but if he had waivered at all, I probably would have shoved a tortilla in my face.  Thank goodness, he's committed to this, too (and not quite as dramatic as me!).  Anyway, I went to bed that night still feeling over this whole thing.  BUT, the next morning I woke up and I was glowing with pride.  I honestly don't think I've ever gone through a crisis without totally drowning myself in food.  It's my go to, and I didn't do that.  I really felt like it was the first major hit to the unhealthy way I view food and turning it back into what it is: fuel for my body.  As much as I really want to lose weight, have more energy, and sleep better, the feeling of empowerment and pride at not caving on Sunday was maybe the best thing that wll happen this whole 30 days.  We shall see.      

Good job for staying with it! Those small victories are powerful. You can do this!!!

Congratulations to BzBear2!!! What a fantastic way to prepare your body and the baby!! 

I'm on day 8 and I still get hungry around 3.5 hours after eating breakfast - usually three eggs with spinach and other veggies and maybe some meat. How can I be hungry? And it's really hunger - stomach growling and eventually my head starts to hurt. Pre Whole30 I was eating a snack mid-morning - usually olives, cheese and sliced meat so it's not like I was chowing down on carbs and sugar. I guess I'm still adjusting. Today I made it to lunch but I was hungry! I drink a lot of tea in the morning and I read that can affect my insulin level. I'm going to try and stick to one cup tomorrow then switch to herbal. Maybe that's another habit to give up - sigh... 

I'm waiting for that extra energy kick. Maybe because it's been snowing, raining and cold but I want a nap every afternoon!

Not that I am an expert, but try adding fat to your breakfast like avocado. That is one thing that I am getting from all this is that you need the extra good fat to help you stay fuller longer.

Congratulations on the pregnancy BzBear2!!!

Ok the food dreams were crazy last night!!! I kept eating things that I wasn't suppose to then remember and spit it out!! They weird part was his real it was, when I woke up it took me a while to realize it wasn't real!! Haha!!

Glad to see so many doing so well and conquering our temptations! Let's keep going! We are a third of the way through!!!! :D

I had a crazy dream last night. I dreamed I took a bite of cookie and swallowed it, and once I realized what I was doing, tried to spit it all out. I was so afraid I'd have to start all over again! Crazy what our subconscious can do! LOL

The only food related dream I've had is one where my husband went to Trader Joes and came home with several different cheeses. I was so mad in the dream. And not so farfetched... he goes to TJ's almost every week and usually comes home with some cheese he just had to try! 

More fat at breakfast ... I can do that! 

So have any of you experienced the "boundless energy" that they describe in the timeline for days 12-15? I know it's just a loose guideline and I'm still hoping it kicks in soon, but so far neither my husband nor I have experienced the "bad" side effects to the degree described nor have we experienced the "good" ones. We were eating completely crappy before this, so maybe it will just take longer to see all of the benefits.

Just checking in. We are past the half way point, yay!!! Still doing good, noticing some differences especially with digestive issues that I had been having. My husband, who is not doing the plan, but eating the same dinners, has also enjoyed the food. So far I have had no issues and have become a pro at making mayo, ranch dressing and red pepper sauce, my favorites!! I had always been a snacker and have had no issues with that. Also I have noticed that foods I have had issues with before I am doing ok with now. For instance I usually cannot eat apples because they give me a stomach ache, but I had always eaten them as a snack and not part of a meal, and now because I only eat them with a meal, no problem!! Still driving me crazy not knowing if I am losing weight, I am noticing my clothes fitting better, so I guess that would be a yes, but still not knowing how much, ugh!!! I will not weigh myself and still trying to decide if I will when the 30 days is up, because the scale shouldn't have this kind of control over me!! Would love to hear how others are doing!!

Yes we have more days behind us than ahead of us! :)

I have NOT had the boundless energy they talk about! I'm wiped by the end of the day, but that could be because of all the other stuff going on in life. I am really surprising myself at how much I like certain foods. Like cauliflower! Make it into rice and it's delicious!

I've been tempted to step on the scale too, but I'm trying to focus more on how my body feels, which is great!

I have not tried to make the cauliflower rice yet, but I keep hearing really good things so I will definitely try it!! No boundless energy here either, but I also have had some crazy stuff going on too! But I have noticed that I can make if through the afternoon without needing to take a nap!!

Hi all! I am still sticking to it - day 18, right?

It's become routine, I hardly ever think about it - I have a couple of restaurant trips coming up that I'm a bit nervous about but I suppose I'll manage, I'll have to just plan and stick to my guns :)

Still feeling great and working out. Definitely becoming all part of a more natural routine.

I have been a little scared to go out to dinner though. Any thoughts/ideas? I eat a lot of ethnic food usually so im struggling on where I can go that isn't panera for a salad. ive been avoiding my friends and their dinner invites bec of this! Haha

And.... I'm an ass. I had/have the boundless energy, noticed my clothes fitting better and worked out at my gym regularly, (my endurance even growing!) But, even though I packed food to get me through my production/performance schedules, I failed to eat lunch or dinner both Friday and Saturday and only two meals on Sunday. I worked straight for so many hours each day, (16-22), I just couldn't get to eating. (And, by the time I'm done with set-up and performing, I'm "in the zone," performing and won't take away from my show to sneak some food. THIS, I HAVE to work on :( I feel like if I can't at least honor eating three meals a day, I need to re-start. So, here I go...

It's ok Ladyj! Be kind to yourself! Recognize that retraining your brain is hard work and remember how good you feel when you are compliant!

I'm getting ready to go to the Flying Biscuit for a work breakfast meeting--first time at a restaurant! Got here early so I can annoy the server with questions without my coworkers' judgment! Haha!

• Moderators

Still feeling great and working out. Definitely becoming all part of a more natural routine.

I have been a little scared to go out to dinner though. Any thoughts/ideas? I eat a lot of ethnic food usually so im struggling on where I can go that isn't panera for a salad. ive been avoiding my friends and their dinner invites bec of this! Haha

I am also scared to go out to eat!

The best tip for going out to eat is to plan ahead. Look online at the menu, pick out some things that look like they might work, and then call the restaurant on an off time, not at their busy times. Talk to them and tell them what you need and find out what they recommend. Steak places, seafood places, and places that make everything from scratch are your best bets. 

More tips here. Also try googling Whole30 dining out for past discussions in the forum, and if there's a particular restaurant you're considering, google Whole30 plus that restaurant and see if there are past discussions of it that could give you some ideas -- but never trust what you read here completely, use it as a starting point and still confirm with the restaurant.

I looked at the menu online, and got there early to talk to the server. I asked her how they make their scrambled eggs (oils, butter, etc). I then asked if I could order eggs without oils or butters, and she was more than happy to oblige. The veggie scramble was DELICIOUS and filling. It was a great first dining out experience! :)

It's ok Ladyj! Be kind to yourself! Recognize that retraining your brain is hard work and remember how good you feel when you are compliant!

I'm getting ready to go to the Flying Biscuit for a work breakfast meeting--first time at a restaurant! Got here early so I can annoy the server with questions without my coworkers' judgment! Haha!

• Moderators

Thank you. I just feel terrible, but know I am human. AND, my client sent us home with a whole pan of chocolate ganache covered strawberries!!! How can I do this when I keep being offered free food???

Just because it's free doesn't mean it's a good deal.  ;)  Say, no, thank you, I can't have that right now. Or take it to work or church or someplace like that and set it out for others to have. If you don't typically go to an office or a church or a club or other place where there are people around to eat such things, take it to a local fire station or police station or to the nurses at a doctor's office or hospital. 

Archived