Travel Tips

Mrs.cMoo

Could use some advice please! Post Whole30 I'm eating basically Paleo with no grains, dairy, or soy (these three being my main triggers) and very limited alcohol and sugar.  While traveling in the U.S. I've figured out how to stick with that pretty easily but in a few months my hubby and I are going to Europe (France, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, and Italy) for three weeks and I could use some help knowing how to eat there.  I don't want to be the obnoxious american that doesn't want to eat their delicious food- I'd love to experience the food part of the culture where we go- but I also don't want to feel terrible while we're over there.  Any suggestions would be *greatly* appreciated!  Thanks!

• Moderators

I don't know that anyone can tell you what to eat while in five different European countries, but if the grain, dairy and soy make you feel really awful, then it's not being obnoxious to not eat those things (or to eat them in extremely limited quantities). If those things are triggers to make you consume more and more but they don't make you physically feel bad, then you need to weigh how much you're willing to go off road while you're on holiday to experience the local cuisine.

The best bet is to get on the internet and google the cities you're going to and find restaurants that look appealing... check out the reviews and the menus online and then make a plan for what you can't eat because it makes you feel physically bad, and what you're going to choose to eat, even if there are consequences... for instance, I would not eat anything with soy in it ever, but if I were going to say... France, I would probably eat some amazing cheese... Soy makes me very ill and cheese makes me a bit bloated but it's worth it to deal with...

It's definitely possible not to be 'the obnoxious American'... just don't be obnoxious ;) Be gracious and kind and smile with pleases and thank yous when asking questions and making substitutions... you'll be fine :)

• 2 weeks later...

All of the countries you are visiting do fabulous things with vegetables, meat, fish, and eggs. Since you follow a Paleo lifestyle in general, see what you can do with it when traveling. You don't have to shift to baguettes, cheese, wine, and eclairs just because you are visiting another country.

Archived