Breakfast 1st Thing When you Wake Up

Dee55555

Hi All,

Might seem nit picky, but I was wondering if the minute you wake up do you need to eat breakfast or if you can lay in bed for an hour and then get up and eat breakfast.  On the weekend I tend to still wake up as if I'm going to work and don't always want to get right out of bed and make breakfast when I wake up. I like to see if I can fall back to sleep if I'm groggy etc. Any thoughts or experience with this?  I ask because I just started getting good sleep as of Day 22 (I'm on Day 24 today) and I know eating breakfast within an hour helps with that.  I would like to keep the good sleep going.  Thanks!

This morning, i felt exactly like you. Also once I got up I did not want to eat right away so I had a cup of coffee, read, and looked over a bunch of emails and eased into my morning in a way that doesn't exist on a weekday.

I don't think anyone would be expected to force feed immediately upon rising as long as the meal was eaten well before it was time for the next. I also think it would be better for digestion to wait a bit and not create stress over thinking we have to eat rigtht away. That said, once or twice on a W30, I have skipped over breakfast b/c I just did not want food. Nothing else was off track for the rest of the day. I am not advocating this. The meal templates and recommendations are clear. It was a personal choice in that moment.

• Moderators

There is no need to eat within minutes of waking. The issue is that the most powerful thing you can do to reset out of whack hormones is to eat breakfast "within an hour of waking." Not feeling like eating soon after you wake is a major symptom of someone whose hormones are out of whack. 

This past Saturday, I got up within about 15 minutes of waking and prepared breakfast. After eating, I went back to bed and slept another 2 hours. It was great. 

Thanks Tom and Cocojoe.  Tom today when I woke up I was hungry so I made breakfast, but I also woke up at 7am.  Often on the weekend I will wake up at 5am and I would rather try falling back to sleep or just rest in my bed than get up and eat.  I do want to do what's most powerful in terms of resetting my hormones so that is why I ask.  I was hoping that it's more within an hour of getting up and doing stuff than just waking up.  Normally I do just get up and go right to the kitchen to make breakfast so it's not a problem usually.  

"hormones are out of whack". Tell me about it! This can happen on a day to day basis for just about any reason I can think of. I have always used a strong healthy appetite as a benchmark of health and am so bummed when I am out of sorts.

Usually the urge to eat will happen within an hour of waking but I like to intermittant fast sometimes and if I am not ravenous will put off my meal till noon or so to leverage the time I sleep for a longer fast.

Archived