Rashes...

ambxc1

Hi, I'm on day 12 of the whole30 and woke up this morning with a small rash on the side of my neck. Later in the afternoon I noticed that my forehead is covered in what looks like an allergic reaction and it's also a little bit on my cheeks.

I'm no stranger to allergic reactions - I'm allergic to hair dye so know what they look like - and this is quite similar only not as angry looking. I haven't changed my face wash or face creams. No other changes that I could attribute to the rash.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this and if so why has it happened?!?

• Moderators

Are you eating a lot more of a particular food in these 12 days than normal?  For example, you used to eat about a half an avocado a week and now you eat one a day? 

If you give us a list of what you've been eating over the past little while (including portion sizes please), that would be helpful so we can see what might be going on.

I haven't really changed what I eat too much since starting the whole30.

I have been eating more avocados, maybe a half 4 times a week.

Half a sweet potatoes about 3 times a week.

A lot more fruit than usual - a couple of days into my first week the thought of a proper meal made me feel nauseous so I turned to fruit as it was one of the things I could stomach but have cut down since then.

Eggs I've increased a bit - I used to have eggs everyday for breakfast a few months ago (I've always been a bit carb-phobic so did anything to reduce my in take) but changed as I got a bit bored. Started eating eggs again when I started whole30. I maybe have 2-3 a day.

Other than that, I think everything else is fairly similar. Hope this is enough info! Thanks for your help!

Both avocados and eggs can trigger rashes, for eggs sometimes the type of egg is important.

Avocado is from the latex family (same as bananas & plantains) so you can get a rash not just from eating it but also getting it on your hands (and touching your face with those hands). Some people only have trouble with latex in higher volumes.

I've not heard of rashes from sweet potatoes, but they are a FODMAP (usually stomach/gut symptoms).

• Administrators

My mom gets an aggressive skin rash from pineapple and my sister gets an aggressive skin rash from grapes. So don't discount the fact that the fruit could very well be the issue.

I would cut it all out for a few days, until the rash goes away to see if that's the cause. Then start to reintroduce fruits and see if there is a particular one that is a problem or if it's a threshold issue and you need to cut back on a certain amount of a particular kind.

Pineapples and kiwi fruit have very similar enzymes (they can tenderize meat and prevent gelatin from setting), if you have a reaction to one, be careful with the other.

Grapes are also pretty unique in the fruit world, containing a lot of things unique to grapes (especially in the skins).

I've always been a bit of a pineapple fiend and could easily eat a whole bag of grapes - never had a problem with these before. As for the avocado/banana/latex thing, the rash is mostly on my forehead and I don't really touch it that much lol!

Will cut out fruit until the rash goes and see what happens when I reintroduce it. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived