Day 4 and want to quit

ali_

What the title says, really.

I woke up this morning feeling like I'm dragging myself through sand. Nauseated, headachey, and so, so, tired. I really didn't think I ate that badly before w30, but I obviously do. I forced some breakfast down this morning (2 eggs with spinach and walnut pesto),  but I wanted to puke with every mouthful.

I can't face the prospect of feeling this way for much longer.

Experienced w30ers... help!

Nah, you don't really want to quit.

If you did you'd have just quit. Instead you came & posted here, so in truth you just need a little pep talk.

Many people struggle with the first meal in the day, and yours looks a little light to me - I don't know if this is because you felt nauseated, or if it's because you think this is actually enough food... It's not by the way, and if this is how you've been eating it's no wonder you're feeling miserable.

Are you drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight? Salting your food? Following the recommended meal template for each meal - that's 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein, 1-3 cups of veg (with 3 being optimal) and a generous serving of a healthy fat? Getting enough sleep? Including pre/postWO meals if you're exercising?

When eggs are your only source of protein in a meal you should be eating the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most females. SPinach reduces down drastically when chewed so you'd need a bucketful to fill you up & walnuts aren't the best source of fat in the world...

Can you give us a run down on what you've been eating/drinking for the past 4 days, along with sleep/stress/activity levels? That way we'll be better equipped to help you troubleshoot...

This will hopefully keep you distracted long enough for you to get another day in and get over the hump  ;)

I'm not one of the gurus or super experienced users, but I felt like you do the first week or so. Don't give up! It really gets better.  I had to adjust the balance of the template and the items I chose for each until it felt better. Now it's bubbling along pretty well! You can do this!

I haven't signed in for a while because I finished a Whole 60 and am keeping Whole 30 true in the house since.

I cannot stress how good I feel since THE whole 30 entered my life. I still don't crave sugar and it turns out I love to cook new recipes.

I used to live for sugar eating candy was a food group for me - now I enjoy fruit with my meals.

Think of the little engine that could....when you feel like quitting. Each day gets easier and before you know it is Day 30. Hang in there you will love yourself and really see a difference with your relationship with food.

And know everyone in this forum are here for you and rooting for you.

My first whole30 a year ago, I had the EXACT same thing- wanted to throw up just at the thought of food, and I also felt like I ate pretty well beforehand. Hang in there, I can say from my experience at least, that this will pass. Relatively quickly. It's so worth it! And if you don't stick it out...in a week or so you'll be thinking about how awesome you could have felt! 

find out what you didn't like and dont eat that. The only thing I haven't liked yet was some horrible frozen Paleo bread that I brought. Tasted like hairspray.

I made eggs with artichoke hearts for breakfast and it was outstanding. I am new at this but I just find the compliant foods I do like and eat

Nah, you don't really want to quit.

If you did you'd have just quit. Instead you came & posted here, so in truth you just need a little pep talk.

Many people struggle with the first meal in the day, and yours looks a little light to me - I don't know if this is because you felt nauseated, or if it's because you think this is actually enough food... It's not by the way, and if this is how you've been eating it's no wonder you're feeling miserable.

Are you drinking the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight? Salting your food? Following the recommended meal template for each meal - that's 1-2 palm sized pieces of protein, 1-3 cups of veg (with 3 being optimal) and a generous serving of a healthy fat? Getting enough sleep? Including pre/postWO meals if you're exercising?

When eggs are your only source of protein in a meal you should be eating the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand, which is 3-4 for most females. SPinach reduces down drastically when chewed so you'd need a bucketful to fill you up & walnuts aren't the best source of fat in the world...

Can you give us a run down on what you've been eating/drinking for the past 4 days, along with sleep/stress/activity levels? That way we'll be better equipped to help you troubleshoot...

This will hopefully keep you distracted long enough for you to get another day in and get over the hump  ;)

Thank you so much for your reply. It really helps. I would usually eat more for breakfast, but I truly thought I was going to throw up, so went a little light. I feel like there's no way in Bejesus I could eat four eggs at one sitting? I'm 95kgs and 173cm, so on the bigger side, but that just sounds impossible?

The last 3 mornings have been 2-3 eggs (I only ate 3 eggs once, it felt like too much food). I have them with tomato, avocado, pesto and spinach. Usually accompanied by a coffee with ghee.

Lunch is dinner leftovers, so usually meets the meal template. So far this week we've had chicken/veges/kumara, fish/veges/kumara, and egplannt strata with salad and avocado last night/today at lunch.

Water is always a struggle for me, and I usually flavour it with stevia drops, so it's been harder than usual. But I'm getting at least 2 litres in (I know that's not enough, but see above).

At the end of the day, you're right, if I really wanted to quit I would have. I guess I'm just seeking reassurance that I won't feel this way for the next 26 days.

A

Hi Ali,

Am on day 25 of my first W30. My first week was horrible... Felt like I was living in a cloud and slept like 20 hrs a day for 2 days straight!

It passes though. After I got through that I noticed how clear my head was- anxiety down, energy high - and I was able to focus more than I have in years.

It's your body adjusting to the change. Remind yourself that. Like any 'withdrawal' worse before better. But better is sooo good - it's worth it!

This forum has been a lifesaver for me. Everyone so helpful and encouraging- let us help you through it :-)

Thank you so much for your reply. It really helps. I would usually eat more for breakfast, but I truly thought I was going to throw up, so went a little light. I feel like there's no way in Bejesus I could eat four eggs at one sitting? I'm 95kgs and 173cm, so on the bigger side, but that just sounds impossible?

The last 3 mornings have been 2-3 eggs (I only ate 3 eggs once, it felt like too much food). I have them with tomato, avocado, pesto and spinach. Usually accompanied by a coffee with ghee.

Lunch is dinner leftovers, so usually meets the meal template. So far this week we've had chicken/veges/kumara, fish/veges/kumara, and egplannt strata with salad and avocado last night/today at lunch.

Water is always a struggle for me, and I usually flavour it with stevia drops, so it's been harder than usual. But I'm getting at least 2 litres in (I know that's not enough, but see above).

At the end of the day, you're right, if I really wanted to quit I would have. I guess I'm just seeking reassurance that I won't feel this way for the next 26 days.

A

I'm not sure what time time zone you're in but it's a new day for me here, so it has to at least be near the end of the day that you posted this and I'm guessing you haven't given up - and you're one day closer to feeling better.

If eggs are a struggle at breakfast give them up. Nobody says you have to have them. In fact that's what is so great about Whole30 - you can eat whatever you please, at any meal in any day (so long as it's compliant obviously) and it's okay!

Try sticking to comforting foods - blended vegetable soups with protein on the side, chicken soups, mashed root veg - or stick to tried & tested recipes you know you'll like, or go down the exact opposite of the traditional  'breakfast' route & try something like a curry - I love a curried coconut seafood chowder, or just a chicken korma for breakfast...

Keep trying for more water, ensure you are getting adequate sleep, leave your coffee until after you have eaten, and really stick with the breakfast thing - it's one of the most important factors in getting your hormones back in line...

One day soon you'll look back and be so glad you stuck with it.

find out what you didn't like and dont eat that. The only thing I haven't liked yet was some horrible frozen Paleo bread that I brought. Tasted like hairspray.

I made eggs with artichoke hearts for breakfast and it was outstanding. I am new at this but I just find the compliant foods I do like and eat

This was before your Whole30 though, right?  ;)

Any baked goods are off limits for the 30 days, even if made with compliant ingredients. Paleo does not necessarily = Whole30.

Have you tried flavoring your water using fresh lime, lemon, or grapefruit? This also promotes good digestion, so it might have the added benefit of helping with your lack of appetite/nausea. Mint and cucumber are also really great options.

Hang in there!

Have you tried flavoring your water using fresh lime, lemon, or grapefruit? This also promotes good digestion, so it might have the added benefit of helping with your lack of appetite/nausea. Mint and cucumber are also really great options.

Hang in there!

Thanks for this tip. I just bought a bag of limes to make sauce for my fried plantains - now I will aid my digestion and not waste any limes.

Have a great day!!!!!!

Bone broth. On days when I can't face food because of stomach upset, I drink salted bone broth until everything settles and I can eat again. For me, that is preferable to forcing down food when my body is screaming no.

This is not a regular habit, but it has saved me from going off the rails several times.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm on my 6 day and going through many withdrawal, BELIEVE me i want to continue because if it works I will be a better ME. I'm starting Lent soon so I know I will be spiritually and physically Well!!!

God bless everyone who is doing this program...

Mela :)

I felt really badly on several early days in my whole30.

I used a calendar and marked off each day- seeing that visual of me getting closer and closer to completing this commitment to my health was very motivating.

I just finished with my very first Whole30 and so glad I did it.. It WILL be worth it.

Take one day at a time and you will get there.

PS: I came to this forum a few times over breakfast drama... You are not alone.

Remember: your metabolism and hormones are not set to have you hungry in the mornings- but with habitual practice, and eating right - and avoiding snacking !! Especially post dinner ... You WILL eventually start to be hungry in the mornings.

Mornings are a struggle for me as well. I am ALWAYS nauseous in the AM. So I spend many mornings writing or chilling while my stomach calms down. Now I plug into the Whole 30 forum for inspiration and support through this process. It is encouraging to me that many people have felt the same utter exhaustions or crankiness that I have experienced. Hang in there. It will be worth it at the end.  Just about everyone tells me that-including my youngest son and daughter-in-law who just finished their Whole 30 and are in the reintroduction phase. They said and I quote "It is amazing how much better we feel." 

For those with nausea in the AM, eating your Meal 1 within an hour of waking does speed up the hormone reset for most people.

Hang in there and read the Timeline - sometimes it's so accurate it's freaky (don't worry if you don't match the days exactly, everyone is a little different)

http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/

So far everytime I try to eat breakfast within an hour of waking, I throw it up. That's not Whole 30-that's me. Been that way for the last 5 years since surgery I had that resulted in me losing a good chunk of stomach. What I am trying to do, is eat a little bit within an hour of waking and saving the rest for later when I am hungry. It is very hard to do.

So far everytime I try to eat breakfast within an hour of waking, I throw it up. That's not Whole 30-that's me. Been that way for the last 5 years since surgery I had that resulted in me losing a good chunk of stomach.

If you've had any surgery (or other health condition) which has shrunk the stomach, you quite likely need more than the 3 meals a day, simply to accommodate food volume.

You can't just cram extra stuff in there 3 times a day if there's not enough room, you want to eat enough food, but you'll need to space it out for your stomach size (more and smaller size meals - try moving to 6 smaller template meals and see how you go).

Other people are trying to avoid eating too much and snacking, but those with smaller stomachs need to maximize nutrition from the available space, so the focus is different.

Some tips from people who've had lapband or similar surgery:

• Stick to the template in ratios, but only eat the amount that feels comfortable, throwing up is too much food in one go
  • Go for cooked over raw veggies (including things like salads), they take up less space and are easier to digest
  • Be cautious with high FODMAP and cruciferous veggies as these can create a lot of gas, leaving you bloated and uncomfortable (there's not much room in there for extra gas)
  • Be careful with nuts, some people find them an irritant (some get gas too)
  • Don't let fruit push veggies out of your template
  • Blended meat/veggie soups are easiest on the digestion and some people find these easier to maintain template ratios, but watch the liquid amounts if it's a watery soup as they can overfill you.
  • Some people find bone broth and gelatin helpful with overall health

Are you eating fruits and sweet potatoes? I don't know if this is exactly your issue, but when I tried Atkins I suffered what seems to have been the worst carb flu in recorded history - I was so nauseous I couldn't function. I ended up having to gradually reduce carbs rather than go cold turkey like every low-carber recommends. Whole30 isn't low carb per se, so if you aren't including a moderate amount of fruit (using Whole30 guidelines) and starchy veg, you could try that.

5 years ago I had a hiatal hernia that blew open and then had a para-esophageal hernia that made my stomach go up around my heart. It took quite some time for the doctors to figure out where I was bleeding from and subsequently I lost a good chunk of stomach and had to have a new one made. It is not like the lap band surgery or the like, similar, but not the same. The stomach the surgeon made for me, has stretched to accommodate a small meal, but with my MS I have difficulty swallowing. The early morning nausea is partly related to my GERD, which I have had forever and am hopeful that this healthier diet will help with that. I have not stopped taking Nexium though and I take Zofran before each meal. 
This morning I ate an orange instead of an egg...and that went well. An hour later I had 2 hard boiled eggs that stayed down. I was able to eat lunch by 1:30 so I did well. 

Sadly I still cannot eat salads or many of the red meats. I miss salads more than steaks. I did cook the lettuce and I was able to eat it. 

Are things like soups any easier for swallowing? What about gelatin?

There are some other posts in the forums around swallowing, but with different causes, some tips and tricks don't work for everyone.

This is my hands down favourite, Whole30 or not :)

http://meljoulwan.com/2012/11/05/silky-gingered-zucchini-soup/

Chris Kresser also has some interesting articles on GERD and auto immune which may be of interest to you.

I love-love-love soup. And I just bought the Well Fed book on Amazon. Thanks for the recipe...it looks wonderful. I am going to make some tomorrow! Is there a gelatin without sugar? I never even looked at those because I thought they would be off program. But yes I can eat those easily.  I will have to search the forum for swallowing issues..I did find an MS one. But half my MS Warrior group is doing or has done Whole 30 and transitioned to a paleo or Wahl, that I am committed to making this work for me. Every little bit helps. Today I tried to eat a salad and that did not go over well. I lost dinner. Thats life. I do miss salads. Fortunately I took a cooking class in Italy and learned to sauté lettuce...its really good.

Archived