Eating Fruit

Georgia Kaye

I've googled as well as searched the forums, and I can't find the answer to this question, so I hope I'm not repeating something that's already been discussed, but I do need to ask this.

I'm having a problem with irregularity, so I feel like eating some fruit would help.  However, I've been told that I shouldn't eat snacks or dessert, and I don't like sweet tastes mixed in with my savory foods.  How can I eat fruit?

• Moderators

I've googled as well as searched the forums, and I can't find the answer to this question, so I hope I'm not repeating something that's already been discussed, but I do need to ask this.

I'm having a problem with irregularity, so I feel like eating some fruit would help.  However, I've been told that I shouldn't eat snacks or dessert, and I don't like sweet tastes mixed in with my savory foods.  How can I eat fruit?

Going too much or not enough? Can you post what you've been eating or link to your log if you have one and we can see if there's anything standing out that could use some tweaks. Also, have you been keeping up with the recommended 1/2oz of water per pound of body weight?

Like Artfossil said, you CAN eat fruit with meals, we just discourage snacking on it but technically you could eat nothing but fruit for an entire day and still be doing a Whole 30... definitely not recommended tho!

Thanks to both.  The problem is not going enough.  Prior to Whole 30 I had the opposite problem for many, many years, so at first I was happy about it, but now it's not particularly comfortable.

For breakfast I eat three eggs with a hash I make from a slice of prosciutto and about a cup of diced veggies (onions, peppers, carrots, brussels sprouts, or whatever I have leftover).  This is all cooked in olive oil

Lunch is a tuna salad made with onions, avocado, tomatoes, and a lime and olive oil dressing, atop a huge pile (12" square plate piled about 2" high) of baby salad greens.

Dinner is a serving of meat or fish cooked in either olive oil or clarified butter, with at least two cups of vegetables, usually more like three.  The veggies are usually seasoned with clarified butter.

I drink a minimum of two quarts of water daily, and I weighed 146 when I started Whole 30. 

I feel like I'm getting a good balance of foods according to the meal template, but I certainly welcome any suggestions!  Here's a link to my log if that will help:

http://forum.whole30.com/topic/33500-georgia-kayes-first-whole30/

Going too much or not enough? Can you post what you've been eating or link to your log if you have one and we can see if there's anything standing out that could use some tweaks. Also, have you been keeping up with the recommended 1/2oz of water per pound of body weight?

Like Artfossil said, you CAN eat fruit with meals, we just discourage snacking on it but technically you could eat nothing but fruit for an entire day and still be doing a Whole 30... definitely not recommended tho!

I thought the problem was improving, but it's not. I've added fruit to dinner; any other suggestions?

I've found that the balance of veggies makes a big difference. When I major in kale/leafy greens and minor in root vegetables, I'm more regular than if the balance tips in the other direction. A magnesium supplement also helps.

Archived